Windows 10: Shared Drive Credentials

Discus and support Shared Drive Credentials in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been experimenting with setting up an old PC (running 10) as a NAS, and I've created a few shared drives with specific ones allowing access to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ryley2637, Feb 18, 2016.

1. ryley2637 Win User

Shared Drive Credentials

I've been experimenting with setting up an old PC (running 10) as a NAS, and I've created a few shared drives with specific ones allowing access to specific users. Most of the shared drives will accept my login info, which is the exact same on my desktop (the client PC). This allows me to basically just access every share without mapping them when on VPN. However, one of my shared drives is not shared to that same username. When I try to map it with the different credentials, it fails because the other shares are mapped with my other credentials, and it's not letting me map one shared drive with different credentials then all the others? Does anyone know of a way to fix this?

:)

ryley2637, Feb 18, 2016

2. Can't open WD NAS drives after update KB4034674

Didn't ever need to use credentials before for them; there were no credentials as the shares published from those NAS drives were public access.

CharlesCrook, Feb 18, 2016
  3. scottrun3 Win User
    Windows 10 and network drive issues

Arrived at this thread after searching for solution to problem trying to access two samba shares on debian jessie from win10 1511 using map network drive with Reconnect and Connect Using different credentials options but the drives would NOT reconnect
    after login (they would connect to the drive immediately after map drive configuration, though). Also, fyi, same credentials are used for both shares on the debian machine, just in case anyone was wondering. Anyway, I had read this solution involving Credential
    Manager (which I rarely ever used) but by the time I finished reading other posts on this topic and went back to attempt some solutions, I actually tried the Credentials Manager idea in reverse order as given here (unintentionally). That is, after disconnecting
    previous mappings so as to start with a clean slate, I went into Credential Manager and entered the share path using dns name and then username and password for the share. Then, I used map network drive to map to my two shares on the debian machine, each
    time checking the Reconnect check box but NOT the Connect using different credentials box. I logged out and in and, for the first time ever, the drives were immediately accessible without having to enter my credentials again. Only time will tell if this
    lasts, but I have been searching for solution as time permits for the last few months and this is the first solution that worked (to be clear, I only cared about native Windows solutions, so never tried any third party apps)! It would seem that there is something
    different between entering credentials in Credential Manager and entering them in the Map Network Drive dialog ??? Thank you Dubbin for posting this solution you found.

scottrun3, Feb 18, 2016
  4. lmaneke Win User

Shared Drive Credentials

Do you have the other user account set as an Administrator account. It won't let you set credentials to two separate accounts if one is administrator and the other is standard, if I'm understanding you correctly.

lmaneke, Feb 18, 2016
Thema:

Shared Drive Credentials

1. Shared Drive Credentials - Similar Threads - Shared Drive Credentials

2. Credential for file sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Credential for file sharing: This question has been asked before but I cannot see an answer that has worked. Microsoft should publish an answer if there is one, and not rely on the Community..I am trying to share files between a Windows 10 PC and a Windows 11 PC. File Explorer shows both computers on the...
  3. Credential for file sharing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Credential for file sharing: This question has been asked before but I cannot see an answer that has worked. Microsoft should publish an answer if there is one, and not rely on the Community..I am trying to share files between a Windows 10 PC and a Windows 11 PC. File Explorer shows both computers on the...
  4. Credential for file sharing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Drive Sharing Problem with Inconsistent Credentials and Permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive Sharing Problem with Inconsistent Credentials and Permissions: I apologize for the length, but I think the information may be useful in solving the problem. I am experiencing network file sharing problems. I’ll describe them, then at the end I’ll lay out what I’ve already tried. Any help is appreciated.BACKGROUNDSituation: One desktop...
  6. Drive Sharing Problem with Inconsistent Credentials and Permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive Sharing Problem with Inconsistent Credentials and Permissions: I apologize for the length, but I think the information may be useful in solving the problem. I am experiencing network file sharing problems. I’ll describe them, then at the end I’ll lay out what I’ve already tried. Any help is appreciated.BACKGROUNDSituation: One desktop...
  7. SMB share credentials

SMB share credentials: Hi, I have a synology unit that is added to the microsoft AD as are all the PCs that access that unit. all the users are members of an AD group that has read/write permissions on a particular folder. When a user tries to access that folder, they get a message "windows...
  8. Forgetting Credentials for Shared Drive

Forgetting Credentials for Shared Drive: My company has a Shared Drive Folder that several people access. We recently got a new computer for a coworker. But everything he reboots his PC and tries to open the Shared Folder, he is prompted to enter the username and password. This is despite checking "Remember...
  9. Network PC setup to share drives but needs credentials

Network PC setup to share drives but needs credentials: I have a peer to peer network setup. On one of the PC's I have shared the drive but when other users try to access the drive it asks for credentials? I have changed the settings in the sharing tab but still not allowing others to access 101261
  10. Sharing folders - Credentials

Sharing folders - Credentials: Hello everyone! I have a problem with sharing some folders. On my PC I have set 3 folders to share. One for personal data and other two for sharing pictures and videos. Folders with pictures and videos are shared that anyone on network can open the folder and browse...