Windows 10: shared folders not accessible after HomeGroup removed

Discus and support shared folders not accessible after HomeGroup removed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have three computers, two of them connected directly to the router, one over WiFi. All three of them run the latest version of Win 10 built 1803... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dudley, Aug 7, 2018.

1. dudley Win User

shared folders not accessible after HomeGroup removed

I have three computers, two of them connected directly to the router, one over WiFi. All three of them run the latest version of Win 10 built 1803 (build 17134.191) . Ever since I upgraded the computers to 1803 and HomeGroup was removed, I have been having problems with networking. Computer A can see computer B and C, but B and C cannot consistently see A (shared folders, shared printer) – sometimes they do, sometimes not. Rebooting does not help.

Please advise, thank you.

:)

dudley, Aug 7, 2018
  2. Rexter Win User

Help with Win 7 HomeGroup folder sharing

So, me and my brother are very happy for the homegroup function in windows 7 because we listen/watch eachothers music and pictures all the time, and thats why the homegroup function is a god send.

So today i figured i might share another folder, the "Downloads" folder under your respective user. Or, located here "C:\Users\MYNAME\Downloads" (that folder is made by windows, not me), right clicked, chose "Share With" then "Homegroup (Read)". Fine. Now on my brothers pc, i opened up my computer on homegroup, and double clicked on the "Downloads" folder i just shared, and then it says it can not be found. wtf? the pre-set music and picture folders work fine but not the one i shared.
    Ive tried everything i could, even though the options with homegroup are very, very limited.

Anyone tried fiddling with windows 7 homegroups?

Rexter, Aug 7, 2018
  3. DTG1 Win User
    Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

DTG1, Aug 7, 2018
  4. Sanjivsai Win User

Windows 10 - Homegroup - Cannot share Folders or files + Error 0x80004005 (renaming of folders)

Hi Vanessa,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I cannot get passed the following step

In the file list, double-click the library you want to access, and then double-click the file or folder you want.

Control which files or folders are shared with your homegroup

When you created or joined your homegroup, you selected the libraries you wanted to share with other people in the homegroup. Libraries are initially shared with Read access, which means that you can look at or
    listen to what's in the library, but you can't make changes to the files in it. You can adjust the level of access later, and you can exclude specific files and folders from sharing.

The reason for this being that the options for sharing

Documents

Music

Printers

are not available on the PC where I want to create the Homegroup (Main PC).

Regards

Sanjiv

Sanjivsai, Aug 7, 2018
Thema:

1. shared folders not accessible after HomeGroup removed - Similar Threads - shared folders accessible

2. I Need to remove folder sharing access in folders/files .

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I Need to remove folder sharing access in folders/files .: Hi , my pc get hacked by some one when i started server service , i stopped it instantly to find out that he changed all drives owners to shared and put a another unidentified ones , luckily i changed owner and principal permissions to everyone .. and started copying/bakup...
  3. Shared folder not accessible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared folder not accessible: I was trying to access a shared folder from my laptop on my PC (Both are running Windows 10) when it told me that he couldn't connect to it. Diagnostics say that there might be something wrong with the DNS-Server. I also tried pinging the PC and it worked perfectly. The...
  4. Can't remove access to shared folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't remove access to shared folders: Yesterday, I noticed that suddenly my desktop and the my documents folder are shared folders. I have not done this. I have been trying to remove this without succes. RIght clicking the file or folder and go give access to-> remove acces does nothing. It pops up a screen that...
  5. Shared Folders Access

Shared Folders Access: After the latest update, in File Explorer>Network I can see computers but cannot access the shared folders on one computer. Shared folders on another computer are fully accesible. I am running Windows 10 Pro. I've searched the web and tried fixes with services.msc and...
  6. Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?

Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?: Dear Forum, I like to consider myself pretty tech savvy, and knowledgeable in Windows 10 settings etc. But I am absolutely stumped on this issue. My File & Folder sharing is no longer accessible or even broadcasts over my home private Wi-Fi network, and it was working fine...
  7. Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?

in Windows 10 Support
    Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?: Dear Forum, I like to consider myself pretty tech savvy, and knowledgeable in Windows 10 settings etc. But I am absolutely stumped on this issue. My File & Folder sharing is no longer accessible or even broadcasts over my home private Wi-Fi network, and it was working fine...
  8. homegroup sharing

homegroup sharing: I have a new laptop with windows 10 Pro. I have an older home pc with windows 10 home. I set up homegroup on the laptop and received the homegroup code but do not see where to enter that share code on the home pc. I just want to have access to pictures on both. I setup...
  9. Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials

Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials: Well, this problem is making me NUTS... Several PCs in my store.. some running W7 starter, some W10 Home pro. A few days ago suddenly I could no longer access a folder on another W10 computer, where we tend to store a lot of important documents. The computer where the...
  10. Shared folders will not access on Homegroup after format

Shared folders will not access on Homegroup after format: Hey guys, this one has me stumped. I have a network of 4 pc's in my house. My main PC that has all my media failed and required a format. After fixing it all, re-joining it to the homegroup I receive this message (pic attached) when trying to access all my media on any...