Windows 10: Shared folders not visible on other devices

Discus and support Shared folders not visible on other devices in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I am running Windows 10 and trying to set up a network so that I can transfer photos from an android phone onto my laptop hard drive for back up.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by membergd, Feb 21, 2016.

1. membergd Win User

Shared folders not visible on other devices

Hi, I am running Windows 10 and trying to set up a network so that I can transfer photos from an android phone onto my laptop hard drive for back up. I've been using an app to do this and it has worked in the past brilliantly (called "Sweet Home" if interested). Unfortunately since upgrading to Windows 10 and changing my phone it doesn't work. I have also been trying to test the network using ES File Explorer. I have tried setting this up on another laptop running Windows 8 and it works no problem, so the issue must be with my settings.

I have set up a home group, made sure everything is shared where it should be and permissions set so that the network should be visible to everyone, but the android device can't see the network at all. For reference when setting up the network I followed the step by step in the link below on the Windows 8 laptop and it worked.
    http://www.theandroidsoul.com/connec...windows-65379/

One strange point that I think might be related on the Windows 10 laptop, is when I get to Step 2 (of the link above) under "How to enable sharing on Windows?" the "Share" button is greyed out, even when the folder is not shared. I have to share it by clicking the "Advanced Sharing" button instead.

Any help would be appreciated as this is driving me insane!

:)

membergd, Feb 21, 2016

2. Network Shared folder access/permission issue

Andre, as I understand your suggestion of setting private profile is to make myself network visible, did that, moreover I turned on sharing on all profiles, my PC visibility is there on all other network devices. The problem is the folder I want to access/share
    is not in my laptop, rather it is router folder of the external storage device attached to router USB port.

As it is router folder it is not allowing me to interfere/add users for permission purposes.

How can I assign/authenticate my user account on this folder, as router does not have a evolved OS as windows is.

Thanks,

Saad.Saeed, Feb 21, 2016
  3. Jaxx89 Win User
    Windows cannot access Network share

Turned on Network Sharing and discovery.

Turned off Password protected sharing.

Public folder accessible by other Devices on network.

Folders shared from any other drives are shown but not accessible.

All devices on same WORKGROUP

Homegroup not enabled.

Folders share set to "Everyone"

PC does not show up if logged in using Microsoft account. Only visible in Local account mode.

Happening in both Windows 7 and Windows 10 PCs

Even my Home Theater system is unable to access anything but the Public folder.

Error Windows Cannot Access \\ComputerName\\SharedFolder

You do not have permission to access \\ComputerName\\SharedFolder. Contact your network administrator to request access.

Tried every other fix mentioned online to no avail.

Tried running SFC and DISM as well.

Jaxx89, Feb 21, 2016
  4. membergd Win User

Answered my own question. Kaspersky was blocking everything on the LAN. I had to go into Kaspersky settings and change the LAN from "public" to "trusted".

membergd, Feb 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Shared folders not visible on other devices - Similar Threads - Shared folders visible

2. SMB - Windows cannot access shared folder, every other device can

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SMB - Windows cannot access shared folder, every other device can: hello and thanks in advance for your supportI have setup an SMB share in TrueNas Scale. I have enabled all the recommended settings, created a user with permission to access the folder and when connecting via every other device, connecting to \\192.168.1.17\NASMAIN with my...
  3. SMB - Windows cannot access shared folder, every other device can

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SMB - Windows cannot access shared folder, every other device can: hello and thanks in advance for your supportI have setup an SMB share in TrueNas Scale. I have enabled all the recommended settings, created a user with permission to access the folder and when connecting via every other device, connecting to \\192.168.1.17\NASMAIN with my...
  4. Shared Folders visible, Shared Files not visible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared Folders visible, Shared Files not visible: Running Windows 10 Pro, 2004 on the host machine I have a problem with shared files not showing on any remote devices. Shared folders and subfolders are visible, but the files within the folders cannot be seen on other Win 10 machines, with Android and other devices...
  5. wifi hotspot sharing to other devices

in Windows 10 Customization
    wifi hotspot sharing to other devices: I accidently disabled virtual ethernet 2 connection off of networks settings screen. now i cant activate wifi hot spot on my hp15 windows 10 laptop. im trying to share my wifi thru my laptop to other devices. i press turn on hotspot and it says sorry we cannot start hotspot....
  6. USB Device visible on other PCs but not this one. Other USB devices work fine.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Device visible on other PCs but not this one. Other USB devices work fine.: A USB device (Garmin Oregon 750t) does not show when plugged in to the laptop. I have had it connected many times to this laptop without trouble. The device works fine when connected to other PCs. The USB ports work fine for other USB devices (external hard drive). Please...
  7. New router: Win10 Pro shares no longer visible, can't see other shares

New router: Win10 Pro shares no longer visible, can't see other shares: I just switched to a new router (from DLink DIR-655 to TP-Link Archer C7) and now my Windows 10 Pro cannot see network shares nor can others on the network see its shares. Prior to the router switch, it could see shares and others could see the shares it exposed. The...
  8. Shared Windows 10 network folders not visible in homegroup

Shared Windows 10 network folders not visible in homegroup: The title basically says it all ... I have a Windows 10 pc in a private network with 4 external hdds attached. On these drives, I have shared a number of folders. In the Explorer, these folders are shown as type Share in the Network section. In the Homegroup section of the...
  9. Sharing Internet from laptop to other devices.

Sharing Internet from laptop to other devices.: Hi I've got a laptop that connects to my network via WiFi. On the laptop I run a VPN client to a remote location. Is there anyway I can use my laptop as a default gateway so all wired and wireless devices use the laptop to route traffic, the aim being all traffic routes...
  10. "Public" folders content visibility for other users?

in Windows 10 Support
    "Public" folders content visibility for other users?: In Windows 7 every user inherited content of "Public" user folders such as Images/Music/Video. Now I don't see "Public" content in my user folders anymore. What could be done to unlock this functionality? 25868