Windows 10: Shared folders with same accounts on two PCs

Discus and support Shared folders with same accounts on two PCs in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; If I have an administrator account on two PCs on my local network, both with the same names and passwords, shouldn't they be able to have the same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bobsagetfullhou, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Shared folders with same accounts on two PCs

If I have an administrator account on two PCs on my local network, both with the same names and passwords, shouldn't they be able to have the same access on each other's PCs?

For example, if I have a shared folder \\PC1\Folder and the local account Bob with the password 123 has full control, shouldn't Bob with the password 123 on \\PC2 also have full control to this folder?

This is how it worked in windows 8 and 7 but I can't get this to work in 10.

I am on a regular workgroup.

:)

bobsagetfullhou, Jan 2, 2017
  2. garym123 Win User

Multiple Windows Phones in a business and One Drive

The shared folder is synced.

I shared the camera roll folder from my primary phone in OneDrive using my PC to another phone, different account. Took two pictures using my primary phone.

Opened the OneDrive app on the other phone and the shared Camera Roll folder from my primary phone had updated and the two new pictures are there. Same thing would happen on a desktop.

That is the purpose of sharing OneDrive folders, multiple users seeing and being able to work on the same task.

garym123, Jan 2, 2017
  3. slw3k Win User
    Windows 10: Enter Network Credentials Username and Password for a computer that already has "no password required sharing is enabled"

I have 3 existing Windows 10 PCs. All signing in with the same Microsoft account (user name is hotmail email address). All PCs has following in Advanced sharing settings:

• HomeGroup connections

• Use user accounts and password to connect to other computers

• Password protected sharing

• Turn on password protected sharing
    Shared folder on these computers with permission set to Everyone. All of them can access each other just fine.

Bought a new Windows 10 PC, set up with the same MIcrosoft account.

Then I added a shared folder on the new PC. Any one of the existing PC can access this new PC’s shared folder, but problem is that the new PC cannot access shared folder on any one of the old PC. Windows keeps showing “Enter network credentials” and
    “the username or password is incorrect” dialog box.

Researched on Internet and played with different setting, none of them helps.

Then I tried the following and it worked:

• Change all PCs to “Sign in with a local account” and use the same username/password. After that the new PC can access old PC”s shared folder.

• Now change all PCs back to “Sign in with Microsoft account”. Interestingly, now the new PC can access shared folder on other PCs.
    So it looks like new PC has to share with other PCs with *local account* first before sharing with Microsoft account is allowed.

slw3k, Jan 2, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Shared folders with same accounts on two PCs

You need to be logged in with the account that's on both or pass credentials for it remember there are permissions on NTFS and the share. What error do you get if it doesn't work?

Samuria, Jan 2, 2017
  5. I am on the same account. Same username and password. I get a "Windows cannot access path name" error. It doesn't even prompt me to enter credentials. The workaround I've been using which kind of defeats the purpose, is to just give "everyone" permissions to the share which then lets me access it.

On the share I just set it to "everyone" to have full control but wanted to lock it down on NTFS.

bobsagetfullhou, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Shared folders with same accounts on two PCs

1. Shared folders with same accounts on two PCs - Similar Threads - Shared folders same

2. Two PCs running the same License somehow.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two PCs running the same License somehow.: Hello,I recently built a second PC and I bought a physical Windows 11 License. During the installation process by Installation media, I was required to provide the license key but the physical key did not ship yet, so I continued without a key and finished the installation.To...
  3. Two PCs running the same License somehow.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two PCs running the same License somehow.: Hello,I recently built a second PC and I bought a physical Windows 11 License. During the installation process by Installation media, I was required to provide the license key but the physical key did not ship yet, so I continued without a key and finished the installation.To...
  4. Two PCs, same login, both PCs as admins.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two PCs, same login, both PCs as admins.: Hi, Very simple question I have a PC which is a 3 year old PC as a “hand me down” scenario. The old account from the previous user who is a family member is still on the computer and did not remove it before giving it to me. I don’t use this one as I use my own. When using...
  5. Two PCs, same login, both PCs as admins.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two PCs, same login, both PCs as admins.: Hi, Very simple question I have a PC which is a 3 year old PC as a “hand me down” scenario. The old account from the previous user who is a family member is still on the computer and did not remove it before giving it to me. I don’t use this one as I use my own. When using...
  6. Two folders of the same name in the same folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Two folders of the same name in the same folder: Hi All, Could someone please help me to understand if there is any problems with this. By accident, I just discovered one of my folders has two subfolders which are of exactly the same name, though their date stamps are different. It must have come about when I mass...
  7. Folder sharing between two pcs on same network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder sharing between two pcs on same network: Hi, This may be a stupid question to ask my apologise if so. I know how to share one folder between two computers what I do not know if there is a way to share more than one folder to the same mapped drive? For example share Documents and Pictures in the same mapped drive...
  8. Share files on two PCs

Share files on two PCs: I have two laptops, both with current win10 as of 1/30/19, both access internet via same home Wi-Fi. How do I, over said Wi-Fi: 1. Reset them both to default network settings, then 2. Allow laptop A to open a file on laptop B? I just want laptop A to go to file manager,...
  9. Same product key on two PCs

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Same product key on two PCs: Hi there. Within the last two days I upgraded a PC and a laptop to Windows 10 home as part of the free upgrade program. Just noticed tonight that Windows assigned the same product key to each PC. How is that possible? Why would Microsoft do that? I had no control over which...
  10. Share via workgroup between local and MS account on two PCs

Share via workgroup between local and MS account on two PCs: I can't access my laptop which is using a Microsoft account from my Desktop using a local account. Both running Windows 10 Pro X64. I'm using workgroup, not homegroup. I know I've read of people making this work but I'm not having any luck finding those threads now so...