Windows 10: Shared Folders

Discus and support Shared Folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Do any of you know how to rename a shared folder? 97001 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Clint, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Clint Win User

Shared Folders

Do any of you know how to rename a shared folder?

:)

Clint, Oct 31, 2017
  2. BillU87 Win User

HomeGroup Shared Folders

I have successfully created a Homegroup on four machines running Windows 10 Premium. In each case, when setting up the initial sharing on each computer, I indicated that I did NOT want Pictures, Videos, Music, Documents or Printers & Devices to be shared
    with the Homegroup. However, when I go to the HomeGroup in File Manager, I can see each of the machines AND their respective folders for Pictures, Videos, Music and Documents as well as the content of those folders.

Also on each machine, if I right-click the Documents folder for example, select Properties and go to the Sharing tab, I see the "Share" button there to guide me through the process of sharing that folder should I want to share it, which I don't.

So, on all four machines, I have indicated that I do not want to share these folders, and yet, in every case, the folders ARE shared and visible to the other machines.

BillU87, Oct 31, 2017
  3. HomeGroup Shared Folders

Please keep in mind HomeGroups is going to deprecated, so what you are seeing is likely a result of it being broken.

I would personally decommision the HomeGroup and use standard peer to peer workgroup networking where you can granularly share and restrict access to folders.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/connect-netowr...

Andre Da Costa, Oct 31, 2017
  4. sml156 Win User

Shared Folders

If your talking about the name on one of the guest computers you can easily change the name by right clicking on the folder and select rename.

If your talking about the name on the host computer I am pretty sure you will break the share on guest computers. Windows will give you a warning if you try to rename a shared folder. If you do change the name you will have to right click and select " Properties " then select share to share it again.

I usually right click on shared drives that I want to find easily and select " Map network drive " when in file explorer and clicking on " Network ", This way they show up in file explorer under "This PC"

Shared Folders [​IMG]

sml156, Nov 1, 2017
  5. topgundcp Win User
    You mean this: The name of the shared folder ? Then Add a new Name then hi-lite the old name from drop down list, click Remove.

Shared Folders [​IMG]

topgundcp, Nov 1, 2017
  6. Clint Win User
    I Think that worked topgun. I was afraid if I did remove, it would delete the contents of the folder. I'm not thru yet. When I get thru with all of them, I'll re post. Thanks.

Clint, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Shared Folders

1. Shared Folders - Similar Threads - Shared Folders

2. Unable to access txt file in shared folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access txt file in shared folder: Hi,I am not able to access txt file in my shared folder. I can access others files except txt file. But when I am using another laptop, I can access all files.Can someone please give me a hand? Thank you....
  3. Unable to access txt file in shared folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access txt file in shared folder: Hi,I am not able to access txt file in my shared folder. I can access others files except txt file. But when I am using another laptop, I can access all files.Can someone please give me a hand? Thank you....
  4. Error Code 0x80004005 When Accessing Shared Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error Code 0x80004005 When Accessing Shared Folder: Hi, I'm experiencing Error Code 0x80004005 when attempting to access a shared folder on my Windows 11 PC. This folder is hosted on another computer in the network, and I've previously had no issues accessing it. I've checked the sharing settings and permissions, but I still...
  5. Error Code 0x80004005 When Accessing Shared Folder

Error Code 0x80004005 When Accessing Shared Folder: Hi, I'm experiencing Error Code 0x80004005 when attempting to access a shared folder on my Windows 11 PC. This folder is hosted on another computer in the network, and I've previously had no issues accessing it. I've checked the sharing settings and permissions, but I still...
  6. Folder Sharing Authentication Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Sharing Authentication Failure: Three computers, all Windows 11, A, B, and C.Folders shared on computer A can be seen by B and CFolders shared on computer B can be seen by A and CFolders shared on computer C cannot be accessed from A or B.Folder sharing by C used to work, but failed after a recent update....
  7. Folder Sharing Authentication Failure

Folder Sharing Authentication Failure: Three computers, all Windows 11, A, B, and C.Folders shared on computer A can be seen by B and CFolders shared on computer B can be seen by A and CFolders shared on computer C cannot be accessed from A or B.Folder sharing by C used to work, but failed after a recent update....
  8. UN/PW for shared folder CIFS not accept on one PC but it is on all others

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UN/PW for shared folder CIFS not accept on one PC but it is on all others: I recently installed a NAS and created a shared folder CIFS To connect and map it, I ran: \\192.168.x.x. UN/PW. Selected to map it and done. This worked fine on 4 of the 5 Windows 11 PCs in my house. The fifth one is constantly getting a message that the UN or PW is...
  9. UN/PW for shared folder CIFS not accept on one PC but it is on all others

UN/PW for shared folder CIFS not accept on one PC but it is on all others: I recently installed a NAS and created a shared folder CIFS To connect and map it, I ran: \\192.168.x.x. UN/PW. Selected to map it and done. This worked fine on 4 of the 5 Windows 11 PCs in my house. The fifth one is constantly getting a message that the UN or PW is...
  10. windows 11 not able to share aa folder access denied error5

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 not able to share aa folder access denied error5: Hi All,I had a drive crash in one of my arrays the had 6 folder shares I moved the data off the array to new locations. first off I tried to unshare the folders and got the message access denied error 5. I am the admin with all the rights so I logged in as administrator same...