Windows 10: Shared laptop, can I safely memorize passwords on one account?

Discus and support Shared laptop, can I safely memorize passwords on one account? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I share a laptop with someone so I want to keep certain things private. Can I do this with accounts: #1 have browsers memorize passwords without the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Alfred001, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Alfred001 Win User

Shared laptop, can I safely memorize passwords on one account?

I share a laptop with someone so I want to keep certain things private. Can I do this with accounts:

#1 have browsers memorize passwords without the other person seeing them?

Soo forum passwords, google doc passwords etc. Have a browser remember them without the other account having any way of seeing them?

#2 Keep my files private

Have certain files I make be accessible only to my account?

Is it possible to do this by creating a separate account? And if so how do I do that?

:)

Alfred001, Nov 2, 2017

2. Windows 10 - Remembering Password Protected Files

Unfortunately, there is no such feature that I am aware of, but maybe you could make a main file which contains passwords for all of the files, and password protect it with a unique and memorable password that you guys cannot forget? I might sound stupid
    to some by suggesting this, but for me it works. I started password protecting some sensitive files when I ran across this: Data Protection: Download a Free Trial of WinZip and
    just for my safety I have different passwords for all my files each, because sometimes I share one password protected file with one person and tell them the password, and if I had the same, that one person would be able to open all the files that I have, so
    that doesn't make sense, nor is it safe. Why do I password protect them anyway if they are all the same, correct?

RickyKingston, Nov 2, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Passwords

"Is there a way to just have the one password for everything ..."

YES - but not in the way you are thinking.

You need to have a different password for everything, and every password has to be fairly long (12-15 characters) and completely random so as to be un-guessable. But how are you supposed to remember a password like 8zJdvJTeknfd3N
    ? And how are you supposed to remember dozens of different passwords like that?

The answer is to use a password manager, like LastPass or Dashlane or 1Password or any of the other password managers available on the internet. With a password manager, you only need to memorize one password: the master
    password for your password manager The software does everything else: it generates secure passwords, automatically fills them in (in most cases) and stores them for you in a safe place.

I use 357 different passwords (as of today) and I don't even know what most of them are. LastPass does it all for me. In fact, my password manager signed me in to this community forum.

A password manager can't automatically sign you in to your Windows user account, but most people have only one or two of those and you can memorize one or two passwords. And the same password manager you use on your
    PC probably has a mobile app so you can use it on your phone.

BulldogXX, Nov 2, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Yes you can but the other account must not be an administrator. An administrator account can see anything - a standard user account can't.

If you make them a standard account they will not be able to see your stored web passwords or documents as long as you store them in your "My Documents" folder etc. If you store your documents on a USB key then they will still be able to see them for example unless you protect them some other way.

There is a tutorial for adding an account here:
    Add Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Note they will not be able to install programs - an administrator has to do that or give permission.

lx07, Nov 2, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    If you make sure you place files and folders in areas accessible only when that user is logged in - typically the default Documents, Videos etc under C:\Users\<username> then the security permissions apply.

If you use folders elsewhere, that protection will not apply by default.
    You can of course create additional folders particular to a given user, and add them to a library, or create a new library
    Create New Library in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

dalchina, Nov 2, 2017
  6. Alfred001 Win User
    I should say, the passwords are the primary thing to me. The not being able to see my files I could do without. But, both would be ideal.

Alfred001, Nov 2, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    You already have one account for "Alfred" (with a password presumably). If your account doesn't have a password then set one as described here: Change Password of Account in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Then you make another account as described in the tutorial in post #2 for a new user "Ealhswith" (King Alfreds wife to spare you looking it up) or whatever. Ealhswith will have her documents and you will have yours. She will not be able to see yours (assuming you make a standard account).

You will both have separate passwords and will need to enter them to see your own documents. That means that normally you can only see your stuff and she hers.

I have separate accounts for my wife and I but we both know each others passwords - separate accounts just keeps email and documents separate - it doesn't have to be a security thing. Sometimes I ask her to sign on as me to check an email or whatever. I never told her the build in Administrator password though - just in case.

lx07, Nov 2, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

As long as the browser stores passwords in locations particular to a given user e.g. in the user's SID area of the registry or a folder in, say, %appdata%, then the same rules apply as to, say, the default Documents, Desktop, Videos etc.

I suppose that might depend on you installing the browser (if 3rd party) in its default location, and also depends on where the browser is designed to locate user profiles.

Shouldn't be too hard to check if you are concerned.

Best to use a password manager- Roboform, Lastpass, Keepass... encrypted, secured, options for sharing via the 'cloud'... Can use on several different browsers- so not unique to a given browser.

dalchina, Nov 2, 2017
  9. Alfred001 Win User
    I'm not concerned about any sleuthing, someone opening a different browser profile or anything like that, if that's what you mean. I just want to be able to autosave passwords and set automatic logins without those passwords and logins being offered to the other user.

I don't want them to start typing "google" and have my google docs URL pop out from history and for them to be able to come right in via the automatic log in.

Alfred001, Nov 2, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    Just make a separate account for them then.

It is simple. See post number 2.

Thema:

1. Shared laptop, can I safely memorize passwords on one account? - Similar Threads - Shared laptop safely

2. Password, account and laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password, account and laptop: I don't know which specific area this falls intoI tried to login to my laptop but forgot the password. It says to go to microsoft.live.com I go there but could not find this laptop in may microsoft account, but it does show up on my microsoft store account and it shows the...
  3. Can I safely Remove one of these printers?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I safely Remove one of these printers?: Can someone tell me if it's safe to remove one of these duplicate printers? Because I had so much trouble installing the drivers, I'm afraid to touch anything. see previous problem I don't know which one is the right one to remove....I have a HP Deskjet 2755....
  4. Can I game share one more time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I game share one more time: Can i game share one more time https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-game-share-one-more-time/0971a842-dc19-4911-9bd4-2529fc43c557
  5. Sharing one account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sharing one account: Hi, I have a Microsoft account that I got for my son to use with his x-box. I recently bought a new laptop. Not thinking it would be a problem I logged in using my Microsoft account that my son uses and now my screen saver and my laptop looks like his PC and xbox screens....
  6. Windows password memorization

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows password memorization: how do i get the password program to work? it says saving but never fills in, nor remembers anything. the new windows Edge has wiped all my stored passwords out of the system, and nothing entered gets saved...
  7. Laptop has password no one can remember

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Laptop has password no one can remember: I set up a laptop for my father inlaw and wrote down the password for him in case there were ever any issues. So, he lost that paper and I didn't write it down. Now I need to log in and no one knows the password. I tried going into safe mode but for some reason my Dell...
  8. Safe Mode Password Is Not Microsoft Account Password

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safe Mode Password Is Not Microsoft Account Password: Hello, I have a personal computer (Windows 10) that uses a Microsoft Online account as the administrator (there are no local accounts or local log ins). I normally use a pin to sign into the computer. When I boot the computer into Safe Mode, it requires a password and does...
  9. Can not log into safe mode with CORRECT Microsoft password and my account is an...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can not log into safe mode with CORRECT Microsoft password and my account is an...: I have googled this problem that I am just now experiencing. I have a virus on another computer, and I have tried everything that I've read and can't solve this. Who do I have to **** to get an answer?...
  10. Can I safely delete this 2nd account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can I safely delete this 2nd account: I am using a Microsoft account. There is a 2nd account displayed under Settings->Accounts. There is -no- Remove button though. I used lusrmgr.msc to display all details, which please find below. I wonder whether it is safe to delete 'users' there. Please find below:...