Windows 10: shared printer to homegroup, unknown user appeared

Discus and support shared printer to homegroup, unknown user appeared in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; not sure what category this falls under. i went to add my printer to another computer. i pressed Share Homegroup. now i see this unknown user has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rayann562, Dec 27, 2016.

1. rayann562 Win User

shared printer to homegroup, unknown user appeared

not sure what category this falls under. i went to add my printer to another computer. i pressed Share Homegroup. now i see this unknown user has access to all my docs.*cry how can i delete this?*Confused

:)

rayann562, Dec 27, 2016

2. Homegroup unexpectedly stops allowing access of files from the same user from a different device

I have two a desktop and a laptop on a Homegroup. The same user account is registered on both computers and both of them are configured to share Music and Printers and devices with the Homegroup at large. Until recently this user could access all of his
    libraries from either device. This changed unexpectedly, and now the user can only access those libraries on the other device which are shared with the Homegroup at large. When he attempts to access other libraries, dialog boxes appear variously stating that
    the requested library is unavailable, or permissions do not allow access. Is there a fix for this?

TangoSierra34, Dec 27, 2016
  3. Cannot share or set permissions for default Folders

Your User folders are located under your User folder at C:\Users.

Printers can be shared by right clicking on the Printer in Explorer to open Properties, or going to Settings>Devices>Printers, highlighting the Printer to choose Manage, then choose Printer Options, then Sharing tab.

Also for Printers go to Settings>Network and Internet>Status>Sharing Options to turn on Network Discovery, File and Printer Sharing, and Allow Windows to Manage Homegroup.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Dec 27, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum what is the users name?

Samuria, Dec 27, 2016
  5. Anak Win User
    Yes rayann562, welcome to 10F! *Smile

I'm not sure you would want to delete it, just yet; It may be an account created for your printer within the Homegroup, and to print any document in the group, the printer would need access to those documents.

• Is "unknown user" your term or is it named Account unknown?
    • When you say: "this unknown user has access to all my docs", can you see this unknown user under the security tab from one of these .docs, what type of access is checked off for it, complete, read and execute, print?
    • Does it have a security identifier (SID) like S-1-5-21-3xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx8-xxxx0xxxxx-1000, the numbers between 21 and 1000 are identifiers for your user account, the ones we need are the S-1-5-21 and the suffix-1000, the 21 and 1000 may be different but if you know them, post them.
    • One way to find the SID is, open an elevated CMD prompt and copy/paste/type, then Enter: Code: C:\Windows\system32>wmic useraccount get name,sid[/quote]
    • Want to know the profiles on your network? enter this in an elevated prompt: Code: Netsh WLAN show profiles[/quote]
    • To see more CMDs type: netsh ? at the prompt.

6. EdTittel Win User
    If you look at this output from the command line, you will see that Homegroup has an associated group/user account named HomeGroupUser$. This is probably what you're seeing and it's a completely normal consequence of setting up and using a homegroup.

shared printer to homegroup, unknown user appeared [​IMG]

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 28, 2016
  7. Anak Win User
    Nice tip there Ed,

Steve

Anak, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. shared printer to homegroup, unknown user appeared - Similar Threads - shared printer homegroup

2. Sharing, homegroups, scanning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing, homegroups, scanning: I'm in my small office where my friend shares space with me; we share internet services also. I'm trying to set a network folder for scanned documents and I'm guessing I need a homegroup so I can share files & media with the other computer. I don't want to share with the...
  3. homegroup sharing

homegroup sharing: I have a new laptop with windows 10 Pro. I have an older home pc with windows 10 home. I set up homegroup on the laptop and received the homegroup code but do not see where to enter that share code on the home pc. I just want to have access to pictures on both. I setup...
  4. Unknown User accounts appearing (malware related??)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unknown User accounts appearing (malware related??): Hello, Today I discovered strange account names on my laptop after trying to open files on one of my drives which also had strange names and were not mine. I suspect my laptop is infected with some kind of malware but unfortunately all scans (malwarebytes, f-secure,...
  5. How to set different HomeGroup sharing permissions for users ?!

How to set different HomeGroup sharing permissions for users ?!: Hi guys, I have setup a home group network at my small office between 6 PCs for the file sharing purpose and it works fine. One thing I have no idea about as how to set an access permission for specific users to let them access my shared folders while the rest to not to do ?...
  6. Homegroup Printer Question

Homegroup Printer Question: Hey guys. Trying to setup our home printer across a network. It worked fine in Windows 7 and it did work fine post upgrade but, following a clean install of Windows 10 it won't connect and brings up an error about how Unable to connect to Printer. It's a HP Photosmart...
  7. Connecting to a shared printer as a User

Connecting to a shared printer as a User: I have two Windows 10 Pro x64 machines - say, A and B - connected into a home network. Both machines have two interactive user accounts registered on them: Admin (member of Administrators) and Bob (member of Users). On both machines user names are exactly the same and account...
  8. Sharing using Homegroup

Sharing using Homegroup: Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with this strange behaviour please? I am trying to share some folders from my laptop to my TV (Sony Bravia kdl-46EX700). The TV is connected to the network via a wire whilst the laptop is wifi. Selecting or deselecting Share with...
  9. I want to share files and printers without HOMEGROUPS.

I want to share files and printers without HOMEGROUPS.: I'm about ready to put this computer through a wall. It keeps telling me that I've been invited to join a homegroup. When I try that, I get a long wait, then it tells me that there isn't a home group but I can create one. *MadI DONT WANT ANY HOMEGROUP.*Mad << Read...
  10. Homegroup Printer sharing woes

Homegroup Printer sharing woes: I have a bunch of pcs, (1 laptop, 2 desktops) at home all running windows 10. They were happily sharing printers over a homegroup I had set up on computer A my biggest machine. Now none can print over the network. My printer had vanished form devices but I have got...