Windows 10: Sharing EXT4 formatted HDD (USB3) with Windows -- slow performance

Discus and support Sharing EXT4 formatted HDD (USB3) with Windows -- slow performance in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there Sharing a LOCAL USB3 HDD with windows I'm not getting very fast transfer for USB 3. Local USB 3 HDD attached to a VM machine on Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Oct 7, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Sharing EXT4 formatted HDD (USB3) with Windows -- slow performance

Hi there
    Sharing a LOCAL USB3 HDD with windows I'm not getting very fast transfer for USB 3.

Local USB 3 HDD attached to a VM machine on Windows HOST. HDD shared with Windows and VM via SAMBA.

Transfer speed though seems slow for USB 3. EXT4 file system is usually V. Fast even through SAMBA.

Any ideas anyone. File is only around 1.2GB so not huge to transfer.

Sharing EXT4 formatted HDD (USB3) with Windows -- slow performance [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 7, 2016

2. windows 10 is ****

Windows 10 is NOT S**t.

1. The Printer. Have you been to Cannon's website and checked on the availability of drivers? If there are Windows 8 drivers then they should work.

2. Your external HDD. How do you mean "not compatible"?

Any external drive should be able to be mounted and opened in File Explorer (that's the new term for Windows Explorer) unless it's formatted in ext2 or ext4.

You need to explain why you think it's not "compatible".

Gordon B-P, Oct 7, 2016
  3. USB3 External Backup Drive Never Shuts Down (Always Runs), Should It Shut Down When Idle?

I am trying to figure out if my USB3 external HDD should go into idle/sleep when inactive?

1) I am running Windows 10 Pro on a Dell X51-R2 (w/ (2) 500GB SSD and 16GB RAM).

2) I have a connected an external USB3 Vantec NexStar base for my backup (w/Western Digital HDD).

3) I have installed Acronis True Image 2018 for daily backups.

My backups run fine but the external HDD in the NexStar base is always running.

Is there a setting in Windows where I can tell the USB3 External HDD to sleep and then wake when called upon? Or should the
    USB3 External HDD always be running (seems to me that would shorten the life of the HDD)?

WilliamCurtindale, Oct 7, 2016
  4. Adalwar Win User

USB 3.0 - HDD - NTFS
    Yes, seems slow.
    Test your Drives Speed with Winsat disk -drive x: for both Drives and see.
    Maybbe is File System not performing very well.
    EDIT: Copy very small files will dramatically slow down speed.

Adalwar, Oct 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Sharing EXT4 formatted HDD (USB3) with Windows -- slow performance - Similar Threads - Sharing EXT4 formatted

2. Reading an EXT4 formatted usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reading an EXT4 formatted usb: I have a EXT4 formatted from Kubuntu usb drive and Windows 11 fails to read it. Have read quite a few articles and attempted to install/use WSL2 to mount the usb, but no go.Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 22H2Installed on ‎16/‎01/‎2023OS build 19045.2846Experience Windows...
  3. Reading an EXT4 formatted usb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reading an EXT4 formatted usb: I have a EXT4 formatted from Kubuntu usb drive and Windows 11 fails to read it. Have read quite a few articles and attempted to install/use WSL2 to mount the usb, but no go.Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 22H2Installed on ‎16/‎01/‎2023OS build 19045.2846Experience Windows...
  4. Reading an EXT4 formatted usb

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. HDD Format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD Format: This might be a stupid Question lolHow do I tell for If an External USB HDD has been Formatted or not .... so I know for IF I NEED to Format it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-format/b956aefa-2570-4e3a-b8d6-e8715e386bba
  6. Weird Problem: HDD Performing VERY Slow!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Weird Problem: HDD Performing VERY Slow!: Hi all, I've been wanting to replace this 2TB internal HDD for a long time now but the Covid19 Crisis has really given me so many extra tasks to do and so I've had to focus on other tasks instead of replacing this 2TB internal HDD. What's strange is that even when I put the...
  7. Windows 10 slow hdd performance after win7 upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 slow hdd performance after win7 upgrade: Anyone knows whats the issue?? My win10 pc must be restarted after some time all the time because my non-system secondary HDD gets up to 100% and very high avg. response time which bogs the whole system down, even though the windows is instaled on an ssd. After a restart...
  8. My External hdd is converted to ext3-ext4

My External hdd is converted to ext3-ext4: Hi hope this is the right place and someone can help. I had to convert my external hdd to ext3 ext4 in order to use with a zgemma box but I now want my hdd back to normal by formating it but my PC doesn't recognise it I done a long search on Google but no joy so I would...
  9. slow transfer using USB3

slow transfer using USB3: Hi as the title says I cant seem to get what used to be hi speed data transfers on my 2 win 10 devices, a custom build PC and a surface pro 3. Prior to the update I would see a transfer speed of at least 100-148mb now I'm lucky to see 60mb. Hopefully someone has an idea as...
  10. USB3 HDD slower in USB3 socket than powered USB2 socket

in Windows 10 Support
    USB3 HDD slower in USB3 socket than powered USB2 socket: Hi there crazy --I have a laptop with 1 USB3 socket and 2 USB2 sockets. The USB3 socket is also a "charging" usb socket. Now if I plug a USB3 HDD (Toshiba) into a USB2 socket where I've connected a powered USB2 hub I'm getting copy speeds of around 76 mb/s. The same HDD...