Windows 10: Sharing folders - Credentials

Discus and support Sharing folders - Credentials in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone! I have a problem with sharing some folders. On my PC I have set 3 folders to share. One for personal data and other two for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Candeh, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Candeh Win User

Sharing folders - Credentials

Hello everyone!

I have a problem with sharing some folders.

On my PC I have set 3 folders to share. One for personal data and other two for sharing pictures and videos.
    Folders with pictures and videos are shared that anyone on network can open the folder and browse the pictures but they can't delete them.

On my personal folder I have set permission to only me (windowslive account). Only my account can view the contents, edit and delete data.

My question is how can I access to my folder from different PC on LAN? I have tried to setup some credentials but it's not working. I can access other two folders but not this one. I have tried to access my folder from Android phone (ES File Manager) with success. I have set server as my PC's IP (192.168.11.2), username as "username@windowslive.com" and password for that windowslive account.

How can I set those credentials on other computers on LAN to access my folder?

Thank you!

:)

Candeh, Nov 20, 2015

2. Windows 10 Network Sharing

I am using the latest version of Windows 10.

I frequently access a remote shared folder.

In order to access it I use Windows explorer to enter user credentials (username and password) and tick a box which should allow those credentials to be remembered.

However there are two issues:

1. Every time I want to access the shared folder (e.g. from MS Word) I have to re-enter the user credentials.

2. Every time I restart my computer I have to re-enter the user credentials to re-attach the remote folder as a shared drive

How can I get windows 10 to remember the entered user credentials to achieve automatic re-connect at start up and remove the need to re-enter the user credentials whenver I want to access the shared folder?

EalingDavid, Nov 20, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Credentials

Trying to access a shared folder on another PC. Up till the other day it was always working. Today it's asking me for credentials. I enter the username and password of the PC that the shared folder is on but the pop window tells me that the credentials
    are wrong. I then go to that PC, enter exactly the same credentials and I am allowed access.

IgorKivritsky, Nov 20, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

To specify that you want to use your account on the host PC (rather than a local account) you must put the PC's network name or IP address on the login, such as:

hostname\username or 192.168.11.2\username

Also I am not sure if you can use a Microsoft account. You may have to create a local account and use that instead.

spapakons, Nov 20, 2015
  5. Candeh Win User
    Thanks! That worked when I mapped network drive. I used 192.168.11.2\Username and password.

Do you know maybe if it is possible to set credentials too? I have tried many different ways but no luck.
    I clicked on Add a Windows credential and under:

Internet or network address I set: 192.168.11.2
    Username: Username of windowslive account
    Password: Password of windowslive account

Candeh, Nov 21, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    No I haven't done it before, sorry.

spapakons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Sharing folders - Credentials - Similar Threads - Sharing folders Credentials

2. Incorrect Network Credential for Lan Shared Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incorrect Network Credential for Lan Shared Folder: Hi, I just updated my Win 11 desktop into 23H2 and found I cannot access the NAS folder via file explorer anymore. It keeps showing the username/password is incorrect. However, I have 3 PCs at home: A laptop with WIN 11 22H2, a desktop with WIN10 and this problemed one. All...
  3. Incorrect Network Credential for Lan Shared Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect Network Credential for Lan Shared Folder: Hi, I just updated my Win 11 desktop into 23H2 and found I cannot access the NAS folder via file explorer anymore. It keeps showing the username/password is incorrect. However, I have 3 PCs at home: A laptop with WIN 11 22H2, a desktop with WIN10 and this problemed one. All...
  4. Network Share Folder Keeps Asking for Network Credentials Even Though Credentials Are...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Share Folder Keeps Asking for Network Credentials Even Though Credentials Are...: I am running into an issue where Windows is asking me to input the network credentials to a network shared folder. I have ensured that "remember credentials" has been checked on when inputting these credentials, yet every day I try to access the network share, I get a prompt...
  5. Network Share Folder Keeps Asking for Network Credentials Even Though Credentials Are...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Share Folder Keeps Asking for Network Credentials Even Though Credentials Are...: I am running into an issue where Windows is asking me to input the network credentials to a network shared folder. I have ensured that "remember credentials" has been checked on when inputting these credentials, yet every day I try to access the network share, I get a prompt...
  6. Win10 Folder Share Enter Network Credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 Folder Share Enter Network Credentials: Hi, I'm having an issue with one laptop on my home network, I have 3 Win10 devices, they are all logged into using the same Microsoft account. I'm able to share folders between two of them but this one laptop always requests 'Enter Network Credentials' and it's not clear...
  7. Cannot Connect To Shared Folder On Laptop | Prompting For Credentials

Cannot Connect To Shared Folder On Laptop | Prompting For Credentials: I have been trying to connect to a shared folder on my laptop, but Network Credentials keeps prompting for my username and password no matter what computer I try to connect to it from. All my Windows 10 computers are logged on using the same Microsoft account, but for some...
  8. Network share folders or mapping to drive - user credentials

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network share folders or mapping to drive - user credentials: Hi, I'm trying to understand how Win10 works with credentials for accessing shared folders. In my case I have a NAS which has a few shared folders. There are two way I can access them, one via network share (i.e. \\mynas\folder1, \\mynas\folder2) or as a network drive (i.e....
  9. Network Folder Share Using "Remote User" credentials

Network Folder Share Using "Remote User" credentials: I am trying so share a folder and add permissions for a user on another machine on the same network Here is was i am trying to achieve (all computers are running Windows 10 on the same local network): Example, There are 5 Computers Drive X:\ is on one computer and has...
  10. Shared Drive Credentials

in Windows 10 Support
    Shared Drive Credentials: I've been experimenting with setting up an old PC (running 10) as a NAS, and I've created a few shared drives with specific ones allowing access to specific users. Most of the shared drives will accept my login info, which is the exact same on my desktop (the client PC). This...