Windows 10: Sharing Folders – Multiple Questions

Discus and support Sharing Folders – Multiple Questions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Sharing my Desktop files and accessing it on my Laptop (Both Win10) at home and have few questions: 1] Help me set permission in such a way that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Craige, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Craige Win User

Sharing Folders – Multiple Questions

Sharing my Desktop files and accessing it on my Laptop (Both Win10) at home and have few questions:

1] Help me set permission in such a way that only my devices can access it.
    More info below:
    I have turned permissions to everyone, initially while setting-up for the first time as I was getting permission issue. But, now I just want to add credentials of my laptop & TV only, and, remove everyone as I understand it’s a big security issue. I also tried it removing everyone permission by this method: Folder->Properties->Sharing->Advanced Sharing->Permissions->Remove.

But I am not sure it’s a perfect method, as even on all other folders in my computer which I never shared and when I check its coming as “everyone” in permission. So, I guess I changed the settings universally on my computer?

2] When I enable sharing in any folder, does my drive/folder appearing only on my devices that is connected to my Home Router, OR, my neighbors would also be seeing my drives & folders but obviously cannot access it as its password protected ?

3] How can I share a single video file – Can I even do it? I don’t wana share folders……

4] What is the difference between sharing a folder directly vs. creating a Homegroup?

:)

Craige, Nov 13, 2016

2. How do I remove a child folder from a network share?

I'm attempting to share my iTunes Media folder but I only want the Music, Movies and TV Shows folders to appear in the network share without it displaying the other folders (e.g. Automatically Add to iTunes). I'm then going to map this as a network drive
    on my other computers so that my media collection can be accessed (read-only) by anyone on the network. I have separately shared the Automatically Add to iTunes folder so that I can add to iTunes from my laptop. So my question is:

How do I share a parent directory but exclude some of its children from the share OR how do I share multiple folders in the the same share?

Thanks for any help.

stellatois, Nov 13, 2016
  3. Entegy Win User
    Attaching a OneDrive URL to a WP8 Text message.

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the issue of having to open a service's app to generate a URL for that service to share out. How else would you share content?

You don't need multiple links for the same content, but if you want to get multiple links for multiple pieces of content, you just generate links for each of them.

If you have a group of files you want to share it, you can put them in a folder and share the folder.

Entegy, Nov 13, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Everyone is a member of the everyone group so if you lock that out you can't access it. You must always add rights before you block or you will be locked out. Font use home group it's just for Windows so TV won't use it. The simplest way is to set up an account on the PC you want to get to with the same username and password as the one your logged in as on the PC your using to connect as Windows will pass it by default. You can create the share by using a$ like $films the share is then hidden and only admins can connect

Samuria, Nov 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Sharing Folders – Multiple Questions - Similar Threads - Sharing Folders –

2. Multiple Questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Questions: So I'll keep it sweet and simpleI have 2 desktopsOne I'll call desktop and the other I'll call Deep thoughtDesktop is unable to sign into One drive, every time I try to I get a nice little error message saying Java script is blocked or not enabled with my web browser.. Slight...
  3. Multiple Questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple Questions: So I'll keep it sweet and simpleI have 2 desktopsOne I'll call desktop and the other I'll call Deep thoughtDesktop is unable to sign into One drive, every time I try to I get a nice little error message saying Java script is blocked or not enabled with my web browser.. Slight...
  4. Multiple Questions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Is there a way to share the contents of multiple folders all under one network share?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to share the contents of multiple folders all under one network share?: My setup: .. E:\Folder1 .......\SubFolderE1 .......\SubFolderE2 .......\SubFolderE3 .. F:\Folder2 .......\SubFolderF1 .......\SubFolderF2 .......\SubFolderF3 I would like to create a network share that looks like this: .. Z:\SharedFolder .......\SubFolderE1...
  6. Shared Email Folder for multiple email accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shared Email Folder for multiple email accounts: Since moving to Windows 10 on my desktop pc some years ago I have constantly tried to resolve the problem of having multiple email accounts Live, Outlook and Gmail and only wanting one folder system to save and store emails to eg the Live account. The previous Windows...
  7. Shared Folder Question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared Folder Question: We recently replaced one Windows 10 PC with another. PC A had access to a single shared folder on PC B. The folder on PC was set to "Everyone." PC A clicked a desktop link to access this folder. PC A was replaced by PC C, with all files/folders/links transferred over....
  8. OneDrive Shared Folder question

OneDrive Shared Folder question: I have some shared folders in my OneDrive that my friends shared to me. However, if I move the shared folders to certain folders as a subfolders, the shared folders are not sync anymore. Does this mean that I cannot re-organize the shared folders?...
  9. Office Sharing Question...

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office Sharing Question...: So I added a new computer to my paid Office 365 subscription and that shows up on my installs page. My silly question is how can I verify that it is indeed my paid subscription on the new computer and not a trial or what came loaded with the computer as a trial. Sorry about...
  10. Folder Sharing on windows 10 security question

Folder Sharing on windows 10 security question: I imagine that my question could sound dumb, but when totally ignorant on a subject better ask then remain ignorant. I have a windows 10 PC and a Nvidia Shield android tv box. I want to share some folders (containing music and videos) on my windows PC so they can be...