Windows 10: sharing network connections - big picture

Discus and support sharing network connections - big picture in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; HI all, been running fine on an ethernet connection, but wanted to see the wifi connection options in Windows 10. Got an old USB Ralink network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by davexnet, Nov 7, 2015.

1. davexnet Win User

sharing network connections - big picture

HI all,
    been running fine on an ethernet connection, but wanted to see the wifi connection options
    in Windows 10. Got an old USB Ralink network adapter, set a restore point and plugged it in.
    Drivers installed and active within seconds.
    Went to settings network and internet/wifi and connected to my router.

In control panel network and sharing center (see below), it shows both networks active.
    How is this typically handled? If you start Edge or Firefox how do you control which one it uses?
    What if you wanted to stop one temporarily? Do you have to go to device manager and disable
    the HW, or is there something else, perhaps in the Network Sharing Center that controls this?
    Thanks for any info

sharing network connections - big picture [​IMG]

Edit - I did a little more research, apparently Windows, doesn't really let you choose on an App. basis,
    but uses the one with the higher priority. It may be possible to use ipconfig /release to temporarily disable
    the connection you want to stop, but I can't get the syntax to work. Apparently,
    > ipconfig /release *Con* ... release all matching connections,
    eg. "Wired Ethernet Connection 1" or
    "Wired Ethernet Connection 2"
    this is the info given in ipconfig /? - but not sure what to put for *con*

Anybody have any experience with two connections like this? (I know it's an unusual scenario, but I thought I would ask)

EDIT 2
    This is the ipconfig syntax. if the command "ipconfig" shows

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe84::a856:f692:de91:fbc%10
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.106
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

You can use
    ipconfig /release "wi-fi"
    and
    ipconfig /release6 "wi-fi"
    to release ipv4 and ipv6 respectively.

:)

davexnet, Nov 7, 2015
  2. gsir---01 Win User

HELP: critical software components are missing!

Thanks fjleon, your ICS trick worked.!

Anyone not sure what to do, follow these directions..

If you have previously enabled Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), and you decide to use a router instead of ICS to share an Internet connection among two or more computers, you'll need to disable ICS.

Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.

Right-click the shared connection, and then click Properties. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the Sharing tab, clear the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box, and then click OK.

If your not logged into your Admin account, click on the Admin bar while in Network connections.

gsir---01, Nov 7, 2015
  3. Windows media player automatically shares OneDrive pictures folder on network

HI,

Thanks but this is not the problem I have (onedrive folder sharing). The problem is the Windows Media Player is linking to my OneDrive pictures folder and availing all the content (13 GB of back up pictures from PC and my mobile) on my home network which
    can be accessed by anyone connecting to the my home network. Despite going to WMP and deleting the Onedrive folder from the shared folders list (right click on pictures/Manage Pictures Libraries and then remove OneDrive pictures folder) the dang WMP still
    reconnects and addes Onedrive folder back to the list of libraries to be shared !

this is frustrating because first, WMP should not automatically connects by default to Onedrive without specifically requesting it the first place, then when I delete it form the list, it should not reconnect to it.

MishalAlharbi, Nov 7, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

You are trying to find a complicated alternative way to do a very simple task.

Select the connection you want to disable, click Disable:

The connection is now disabled:

Enable it when again needed:

Kari, Nov 8, 2015
  5. davexnet Win User
    Thanks Kari, I see what you mean. That's OK, I've never put in a second adapter before, did it really just for
    the learning opportunity. I now see (at least much better than before!) how some of these things fit together.

Now it would be interesting to see if there is a simple way of running Firefox through the ethernet and
    Edge through the wi-fi at the same time. There's probably not any performance benefit since they're going
    through the same router (in my case) but for proof of concept, it would be useful.

Some items I've read on the internet state that it's not possible.

davexnet, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. sharing network connections - big picture - Similar Threads - sharing network connections

2. Network share printer not connect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network share printer not connect: I can't connect with one of the networks shared printers. it showed " operation failed with error 0x00000520".Please help me to solve this issue. One thing is someone can print and someone can't print. The driver was also updated. So many errors with different pc....
  3. Network share printer not connect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network share printer not connect: I can't connect with one of the networks shared printers. it showed " operation failed with error 0x00000520".Please help me to solve this issue. One thing is someone can print and someone can't print. The driver was also updated. So many errors with different pc....
  4. Cannot connect to network shares

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot connect to network shares: I cannot connect to Windows 10 network shares. There was no problem with any shares until changing the router. Now, some shares can be accessed, by all networked computers. Some shares cannot be accessed by any networked computer. When pointing to the share, the following...
  5. Big pictures on boot-up

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Big pictures on boot-up: Since "Windows 10" and "Edge" I have had to consider whether or not I like a picture every time I boot up. I do not like very many. Lately I have suspected that I am being presented with the same picture again, when I have already dealt with it. Today I am certain because...
  6. Issues connecting to network share

Issues connecting to network share: Hello, I've been having quite a bit of trouble connecting from my laptop to two different NAS in my local network. The exact error is Error code 0x80004005 (Unspecified error) when I try and type in either the IP or hostname of the two targeted systems. I was able to...
  7. Cannot Access Shared Folders On Network (With Pictures)

Cannot Access Shared Folders On Network (With Pictures): Hi all.. Background I have recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The upgrade was done OTA. While I was using Windows 7 I had no network problems. Network Issue After the upgrade I am no longer able to access my shared folders or even the other shared computers...
  8. Network Sharing and Connecting

Network Sharing and Connecting: I'm Not Able To Connect Other Devices In Same Wifi Network I Tried To Change My PC Settings But Still Facing Same Issue. Can Anyone Suggest Me what I Should Do To Solve This Problem So I Can See Other Device Data and To Use Printer As Well....
  9. Sharing network connection

Sharing network connection: Hello, I'm wondering if anyone is having issues with sharing their internet connection with other devices after a recent update to Windows 10. After installing KB3176936 and KB3176934, I am unable to share my network. My current setup has my laptop connected to the home...
  10. The big picture.

in Windows 10 Support
    The big picture.: I've been thinking about all that's been mentioned about the "One version of Windows" and why they are doing it. This is something that just occurred to me. Right now, you have several versions of Windows to chose to install like Windows 7, and Windows 8.1, if you don't want...