Windows 10: Sharing not working correctly after fall creators update

Discus and support Sharing not working correctly after fall creators update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have three Win10 machines in the same workgroup, all with shared folders that the other machines can access. Previously this has been working fine.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NickJP, Oct 17, 2017.

1. NickJP Win User

Sharing not working correctly after fall creators update

I have three Win10 machines in the same workgroup, all with shared folders that the other machines can access. Previously this has been working fine. Two of the machines have just been updated with the fall creators update. What I now find is:

• From Network in Windows Explorer on either of the updated machines, I can still see the machine that hasn't been updated and and see the folders on that machine.
    • Neither of the updated machines can see the other updated machine when I click on Network in Windows Explorer. Only the machine that hasn't been updated appears there. On the machine that hasn't been updated, all I see under Network in Windows Explorer is that machine - neither of the updated machines appear.
    • If, in Windows Explorer on either updated machine I enter \\<other-updated-machine> in the current path field, then all the shares on the other machine are now visible and can be accessed. If I go one level back up to Network, the machine and shared folders disappear again.

Anyone else seen this sort of behaviour, or have an idea on how to fix it?

:)

NickJP, Oct 17, 2017
  2. Ugo Lopez Win User

Two PCs can't access shares on a third. All network setting seem to be the same. Third accesses the two.

Ciao,

it looks like you have a problem related to new shared folders features in latest update.

Please look at the following thread and let me know if your issue gets solved.

https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/95731...

Ciao

Ugo

Ugo Lopez, Oct 17, 2017
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Windows isn't working correctly after fall creators update (windows 10 apps won't start, start menu not fully working, etc)

With that many issues, you may want to consider doing a clean install. Applying another major update on a unstable base is not a good idea.

I can suggest a few things that may fix some of the problems. The start menu is also a WIn 10 Store applet.

2017 10 20- MISSING APPS AFTER INSTALLING WINDOWS 10 FALL CREATORS UPDATE – FCU – TEMPORARY PROFILE

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

This reply from MS has the following steps

1 Repair or Reset the missing apps

2 Uninstall and reinstall the missing apps

3 Re-register the missing apps using PowerShell –

4 Back out Windows Update

5 Perform Windows Reset

2016 07 19- 5 TIPS TO FIX WINDOWS STORE AND APP ISSUES IN WINDOWS 10

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-tips-fix-windows...

1. Win Store Trouble Shooter

2. Clear store Cache

3. Reset Windows update (use the tool in the following link)

4. Reg hack for Connection errors

5. Re-Register the Store

#1 MS DOWNLOADABLE WIN 10 STORE APP TROUBLE SHOOTER

http://aka.ms/diag_apps10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/402749... shooter-for-windows-apps

Use the built in Trouble shooter

Go to Settings > Update & security > Troubleshoot

Scroll down to the bottom

Click Windows Store Apps

#2 WSRESET.EXE – CLEAR AND RESET STORE CACHE

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-clear-reset-w...

Run it 2 or 3 times.

RESET ALL STORE APPS / REREGISTER

Re-register all store apps, so they appear again in start menu. For that, open a PowerShell window as Administrator. Copy and paste the following line into the PowerShell window and press Enter:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose }

Note: if you re-register all applications, all your apps are back, however all your pinned apps will be reset (the right panel will be empty) so you need to re-pin everything that you want. Personnaly I did a screen capture before, to remember what I pinned
    and where (use the “snipping tool” in startmenu/windows accessories, with a delay to be able to open the start menu before the capture)

Rohn007, Oct 17, 2017
  4. skcusime Win User

Nick,
    My network settings had been changed by the update too.
    Control Panel > Network & Sharing Centre > Change Advanced Sharing Settings > Turn on Network Discovery (in Private & Public) and turn off password protected sharing under All Networks.
    Also, in Windows Media Player, in the stream section, I had to turn on sharing.

skcusime, Oct 17, 2017
  5. Alexx Win User
    I have the same issue after Creators Fall update install. My PC is not accessible if I try to browse it from another PC by like this \\<PC Name>, but I can access it by browsing by IP. Before update browsing by name worked perfectly.

Alexx, Oct 18, 2017
  6. I have the same issue after Creators Fall update install. Back to version 1703 Build 15063.674 all network issue's are gone.

Adriaan Jansens, Oct 18, 2017
  7. NickJP Win User
    Found a long thread about this problem at https://social.technet.microsoft.com...eators-edition which has a couple of posts from MSFT employees acknowledging that there's a problem.
    I had a poke around in the registry, and found that the Browser service key name in the registry is misspelled as bowser, and browser.sys in C:\Windows\System32\drivers is also misspelled as bowser.sys. Mind you, when I check in C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\drivers for the previous version, it's also bowser.sys there. Will wait to see what MSFT come back with.

Sharing not working correctly after fall creators update [​IMG]

NickJP, Oct 18, 2017
  8. clam1952 Win User

Only lost one PC out of three, however Network Reset and a reboot sorted it here.

clam1952, Oct 19, 2017
  9. Having the same trouble. Some computers on our network can be seen but every day another connection disappears with no way to get them back. I've tried Network Reset, changing settings, and every other trick people are posting with no results.

sireesanwar, Oct 23, 2017
  10. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey NickJP,
    In the reg key you reference, bowser is NOT mis-spelled ... bowser and browser are NOT the same thing. In FCU (1709), SMBv1 is not installed on a clean install of FCU and MS also added a scheduled task to remove SMBv1 (server and client) and since Computer Browser (browser) is tied to SMBv1 it would be removed as well.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-version-1709

Eagle51, Oct 23, 2017
  11. johnpd Win User
    This has been a known issue since the original Creators Update in the Spring as the link to a TechNet thread by NickJP above has indicated. There is no reliable fix for this. Some have been able to set up their router as the "master browser" thus correcting the problem for them. This problem popped up originally in v1511, but was fixed a few months later. Now it has been resurrected in v1703 and continues in v1709. It is part of the SMBv1 sharing protocol as Eagle51 has indicated. This protocol will be going away in the future. I have been able to access other PCs using their UNC name (\\<computer_name>) in File Explorer's Network address bar. I removed SMBv1 from my systems but that caused me to lose access to my NAS. I was able to change the sharing protocol on the NAS to SMBv2.1, which apparently defaulted to SMBv1, and I was again able to see it. Whether Microsoft will address this problem is unknown. They are aware of it.

JohnD

johnpd, Oct 24, 2017
  12. Very strange my network computers are now accessible,sharing is now working, the problems are solved, i don't know how thats possible, this issue of not accessible network computers has gone into thin air.

Adriaan Jansens, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Sharing not working correctly after fall creators update - Similar Threads - Sharing working correctly

2. Fall creators update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall creators update.: How do i stop or block this virus you call the fall creators update, 3 times this year it's uploaded itself onto my computer and every time i've had to revert to the previous build. Each time it installs itself i loose 3-4 hours of work time because i can't use my computer,...
  3. Fall Creators Update breaks printing to network shares

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Fall Creators Update breaks printing to network shares: [ATTACH] In the picture above, RUMCAJS refers to the Windows 10-computer with a freshly installed Fall Creators Update, and AKI is another computer - running Windows 7 - with an HP LaserJet 6L attached to it. You can see that the printer is visible to RUMCAJS, and that I've...
  4. INetCookies after Fall Creators Update...

in Browsers and Email
    INetCookies after Fall Creators Update...: Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I thought it was more browser than OS related. Anyway, after last week's v1709 update, CCleaner has been deleting a file it never used to. C:\Users\UserId\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies\deprecated.cookie It shows up...
  5. Windows Store and Apps not working after fall Creators update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Store and Apps not working after fall Creators update: Greetings all, new to the forum. I got the fall creators update and it looked like everything installed correctly. It installed so well (Or so I thought) that I deleted my windows.old folder on my C: drive. Now the kicker is, I noticed that the Windows Store and some of the...
  6. After upgrading to fall creator, Printer not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After upgrading to fall creator, Printer not working: Yesterday, I upgrade windows to fall creator and now my HP 1020 Plus printer (2017 Mfg) is not working. I ran the MS troubleshooter but it did not find any problem. 97000
  7. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  8. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  9. Fall Creators Update

Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....