Windows 10: Sharing using Homegroup

Discus and support Sharing using Homegroup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with this strange behaviour please? I am trying to share some folders from my laptop to my TV (Sony Bravia... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by poppet, Nov 10, 2016.

1. poppet Win User

Sharing using Homegroup

Hi,
    I wonder if anyone can help me with this strange behaviour please?
    I am trying to share some folders from my laptop to my TV (Sony Bravia kdl-46EX700).
    The TV is connected to the network via a wire whilst the laptop is wifi.

Selecting or deselecting Share with Homegroup by right clicking the folder in windows does not make any difference at all apart from the changing the folder status in the status line in windows. I have now made my folder not shared, it status says it is not shared but it is still available on my tv!

It appears that it does not matter what changes I make at the laptop, the 'Video' folder under 'This PC' appears to be constantly available on the TV.

This could work if I put all of my videos in the Video folder but I was just wondering why I was seeing this behaviour?
    David.

:)

poppet, Nov 10, 2016

2. Workgroup and Networks

Thanks for the update. Yes, it's possible to share your printer with your two computers as long a they're connected to the same internet connection. Printer sharing is possible using a homegroup. A
    homegroup is a group of PCs on a home network that can share files and printers. Using a homegroup makes sharing easier.

To get started, you need to create a homegroup and then share the printer. Please check this
    article
    and look for Create a homegroup and Share a printer section for further instructions.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Antoneth Ber, Nov 10, 2016
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Sharing problem on Win 10

Hi Yong,

Since you are using Windows 10, I would recommend you to use Homegroup.

A homegroup is a group of PCs on a home network that can share files and printers. Using a homegroup makes sharing easier. You can share pictures, music, videos, documents, and printers with other people in your homegroup.

You can help protect your homegroup with a password, which you can change at any time. Other people can't change the files that you share unless you give them permission to do so.

After you create or join a homegroup, you select the libraries (for example, My Pictures or My Documents) that you want to share. You can prevent specific files or folders from being shared, and you can share additional libraries later.

I would suggest you to check the link mentioned below on how to setup a Homegroup.

HomeGroup from start to finish

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17145/windows-homegroup-from-start-to-finish

Perform the steps suggested to perform a sharing

Click on the Sharing tab

Click on Advanced Sharing

Click share this folder

Give the share a name.

Please revert if you find any trouble in setting up the homegroup.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Nov 10, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Sharing using Homegroup

Welcome to the forum. Homegroup is a Windows thing and not used by the or anything else it adds iv6 which isn't used for anything else so remove it. The TV may cache the share so it appears when it's not there

Samuria, Nov 10, 2016
  5. poppet Win User
    Hi,
    Thanks for your input. That seems clear.
    I reread my email and it was a bit convoluted. I suppose my question is why is my Sony TV displaying my windows 10 Videos folder on it's menu when I don't even know how I am sharing it from my laptop?

mmm. I turned off wifi on the laptop and the tv said that it couldn't contact the server so it isn't a cache thing.
    When I turned it back on again in was available.
    d.

poppet, Nov 11, 2016
  6. poppet Win User
    Hi,
    I have started to answer my own question (as is often the case. this thing that you most want to know only comes to you after time and careful thought).

I had DLNA enabled on my laptop so 'Media Streaming' was enabled. That is interesting isn't it, how there can be 2 different ways to achieve the same goal. It makes me think that Windows should be a little more integrated to warn you that your folder is not shared using Windows Network sharing but IS shared using DLNA.

My question has now morphed into 'what folders can I make available for DLNA sharing?' but I'll probably work it out.
    d.

poppet, Nov 12, 2016
  7. Wullail Win User
    This might help...Run Windows Media player , anything set up and listed in there is available to be read through DLNA.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-w...reaming-server

Wullail, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Sharing using Homegroup

1. Sharing using Homegroup - Similar Threads - Sharing using Homegroup

2. Sharing, homegroups, scanning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing, homegroups, scanning: I'm in my small office where my friend shares space with me; we share internet services also. I'm trying to set a network folder for scanned documents and I'm guessing I need a homegroup so I can share files & media with the other computer. I don't want to share with the...
  3. File sharing, replacing the useful homegroup

File sharing, replacing the useful homegroup: After a good deal of bad words about the removal of homegroup and about the "easy" Windows 10 file sharing, squeezing my brain to the last neuron and thanks to the help of the community too ... *** I succeeded in having my 2 PCs on my home network visible one each other on...
  4. homegroup sharing

homegroup sharing: I have a new laptop with windows 10 Pro. I have an older home pc with windows 10 home. I set up homegroup on the laptop and received the homegroup code but do not see where to enter that share code on the home pc. I just want to have access to pictures on both. I setup...
  5. How to share files now there's no Homegroup?

How to share files now there's no Homegroup?: At the risk of sounding stupid, now 1803 has removed Homegroup, how do I share/transfer files over to other computers on a network/linked up to the same router? The Homegroup never worked properly anyway, probably due to Windows Firewall being on, but sometimes certain...
  6. Lost network/homegroup sharing

Lost network/homegroup sharing: I see the following error on both my HTPC and my desktop PC. Both running Win 10 pro 64 bit. I reinstalled the intel driver on bot machines but that did not work. I power cycled the cable modem and routher, that didn't work either. I tried the winsock series on CMDs...
  7. How to share files now there's no Homegroup?

How to share files now there's no Homegroup?: Think I've kind of sorted it. Only weird thing is, is sometimes the computers on the network show up, sometimes they don't!
  8. Homegroup Printer sharing woes

Homegroup Printer sharing woes: I have a bunch of pcs, (1 laptop, 2 desktops) at home all running windows 10. They were happily sharing printers over a homegroup I had set up on computer A my biggest machine. Now none can print over the network. My printer had vanished form devices but I have got...
  9. Homegroup / Sharing PC with PS4 & XB1

Homegroup / Sharing PC with PS4 & XB1: Hello, I am new to the forums. This is my first post. I am trying to share videos from my PC with my PS4 and XB1 consoles. In File Explorer > This PC, under Network locations are Bell PVConnect (Home Hub 2000) and (radd-hp). In (radd-hp) there are 4 folders: Music,...
  10. Sharing, Homegroup do I need the?

Sharing, Homegroup do I need the?: Windows 10: Only PC user, account shows me as Local Account Administrator. Is this the same as a simple "Local Account". Ir not what should I make it? Do I still have a reason to have a "Network"? Have a wireless router, connected to desktop with ethernet cable I use...