Windows 10: Sharing via Workgroup suddenly stopped working; semaphore timeout

Discus and support Sharing via Workgroup suddenly stopped working; semaphore timeout in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; echo "Hello World!"; Got a new PC last month; all was fine for the first few weeks until yesterday when Win 10 (Enterprise) decided it couldn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by narmon, Sep 18, 2017.

1. narmon Win User

Sharing via Workgroup suddenly stopped working; semaphore timeout

echo "Hello World!";

Got a new PC last month; all was fine for the first few weeks until yesterday when Win 10 (Enterprise) decided it couldn't access any shared workgroup folders - and that my other PCs couldn't access its own shared folders either. Now when I try to click a link to a shared folder on another PC, Directory Opus (eventually) gives me a semaphore timeout error. Windows Explorer does nothing. Network folder shows only my router. & When I'm trying to get in here via other PCs I just get the standard "not available" error I get as if it's switched off.

It is the "main" PC of the group, i.e. the one wired into the router. Other PCs (and my Android devices) can access other PCs shared folders.

I have already updated my Realtek drivers. Settings in Network and Sharing centre all OK. I have changed no other settings that should affect this. Internet access all OK.

Edit: have tried System Restore, to two different points. Still no way in or out on the workgroup folders. Homegroup is not an option for me BTW.

Still, Windows 10 is given away for nothing, isn't it.

:)

narmon, Sep 18, 2017

2. Error 0x80070079

Error 0x80070079: The semaphore timeout period has expired when access network share
    Sharing via Workgroup suddenly stopped working; semaphore timeout [​IMG]

mahmod_said, Sep 18, 2017
  3. Bayazit Win User
    My HP Spectre model: 13t-v000, Windows 10, 64-bit, v1709 with Intel Core i7-6500U Laptop gives error when doing System Image Backup.

My back up location is a partition drice at an external WD drive.

I don't have third party virus software.

I backup System Restore to this location before.

I tried System Image Backup as it told on this web site after a clean boot.

They didn't work.

Error says:

"The Backup Failed.

Windows backup encountered an error when accessing the remote shared folder.

Please retry the operation after making sure that the remote shared folder is available and accessible

(0x8078015B)

Additional Information:

The semaphore timeout period has expired. (0x80070079)"

I googled error numbers on internet end up with some information that doesn't work for me.

Is there any solution for this problem?

Thanks for any help...

Bayazit, Sep 18, 2017
  4. narmon Win User

Late Edit: I am using 1703, OS Build 15063.608

narmon, Sep 18, 2017
  5. narmon Win User
    Solved: it was just that SMB1 was disabled. I know the risks of enabling SMB1, but it's a small home network and well-protected.

MS shouldn't have disabled it; I own my devices.

narmon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Sharing via Workgroup suddenly stopped working; semaphore timeout - Similar Threads - Sharing via Workgroup

2. Win10 - screen saver and display timeout suddenly stopped working.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 - screen saver and display timeout suddenly stopped working.: Just as it says - my screen saver and display timeout suddenly stopped working. I use a screen saver so I don't get burn-in on my rather expensive monitor, but also don't want to just "display off" because that doesn't force a login to resume so that my 3-year-old, who likes...
  3. Win10 - screen saver and display timeout suddenly stopped working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 - screen saver and display timeout suddenly stopped working.: Just as it says - my screen saver and display timeout suddenly stopped working. I use a screen saver so I don't get burn-in on my rather expensive monitor, but also don't want to just "display off" because that doesn't force a login to resume so that my 3-year-old, who likes...
  4. Win10 - screen saver and display timeout suddenly stopped working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  6. is workgroup share encrypted?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  7. Backup Error 0x81000039 semaphore timeout period has expired

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Error 0x81000039 semaphore timeout period has expired: Hi i was backing up my desktop 1 TB Internal to a Portable External 2TB HDD and i got this error ~ Windows encountered an error when accessing the remote shared folder The Semaphore timeout period has expired error code 0x81000039 Can anyone assist please simple step...
  8. Network/Workgroup Sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network/Workgroup Sharing: Sirs: I have two computers set up to use the same Workgroup. When I try to connect from one computer to the other. I get a message "You do not have permission to access (the shared directory)" on the other computer. I enabled all sharing and permissions that I can find...
  9. semaphore timeout period has expired

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    semaphore timeout period has expired: So I had an issue with this external HDD a few days ago. It simply was not showing up and I still have no idea how it fixed. That thread is here: External HDD not Initializing, Not in , Need Recovery! - Solved - Windows 10 Forums Now the same drive is doing something a...
  10. semaphore timeout period has expired

in Windows 10 Support
    semaphore timeout period has expired: hello again... dang this thing is a pain!! new issue today, trying to save a tiny .rtf file to external USB drive, and get "semaphore timeout period has expired" message and have to save to local drive instead. also get the message if i drag and drop into the desired...