Windows 10: Sharing WiFi between Win 10 host computer and Hyper-V hosted Windows 10 VM AND connecting...

Discus and support Sharing WiFi between Win 10 host computer and Hyper-V hosted Windows 10 VM AND connecting... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Dell XPS 15 Win 10 Laptop on which I've activated Hyper-V and hosted a Win 10 Virtual Machine. Originally the host machine had a working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by R.Hobbs, Aug 8, 2018.

1. R.Hobbs Win User

Sharing WiFi between Win 10 host computer and Hyper-V hosted Windows 10 VM AND connecting...

I have a Dell XPS 15 Win 10 Laptop on which I've activated Hyper-V and hosted a Win 10 Virtual Machine. Originally the host machine had a working connection to a work-based Windows based Virtual Private Network that worked perfectly. However, upon setting up the Hyper-V hosted VM, I found that I had to share the WiFi connection between the host and the VM using a virtual switch adaptor that is "bridged" to the Host's WiFi if I wanted to share folders between the two machines. This had the added benefit of allowing the VM to access the internet. But alas, as soon as that "bridged" sharing is established, the host machine can no longer connect to the Virtual Private Network! How can I share folders between the host & VM without bridging, or how can I continue to connect to the VPN in the presence of virtual adapter bridging? I've worked on this issue off and on for months without finding a solution. Thanks to anyone who can provide a solution.

:)

R.Hobbs, Aug 8, 2018
  2. joerayner Win User

Secure file share with between host and hyper-v guest

I have a windows 10 host running hyper-v. I want to share the files that are on the host securely with a hyper-v vm without having to copy the files, i.e. the file share is on the host not the guest.

Current method is to set up a file share on the host and disable authentication for ALL file shares, this is so that I do not need to store the host account
    credential on the VM which would be a risk. I then set up a internal virtual switch in hyper-v and disable files sharing protocal on ALL other network interfaces on the host. I not sure this is secure but its defiantly not very elegant for such a seeming
    simple problem.

I can see it causeing problems in the future when we need another files share on the host for a differnet reason.

Is there a simpler, less invasive way to do this?

joerayner, Aug 8, 2018
  3. RNH98027 Win User
    Windows 10 Hyper-V Virtual machine (hosted by Win 10 machine) is identified as "Media Device" instead of "Computer" after May 2018 Win 10 update

I have a Windows 10 laptop that hosts a Win 10 VM via Hyper-V. I just ran the Win 10 update on the VM and now it is identified as a "media device", not as a "computer" in File Explorer on the host machine. As a result I cannot access shared folders on
    the VM. I've saved off and re-imported the VM but this did not fix it. I think the problem is on the VM as a result of the Windows update. Can anyone help?

RNH98027, Aug 8, 2018
  4. sysmod Win User

Sharing WiFi between Win 10 host computer and Hyper-V hosted Windows 10 VM AND connecting...

How can Hyper-V VM access shared Host PC drive/folder?

I have just installed Hyper-V and Windows 10 on both Host & VM, and set up a wifi virtual switch so the VM can connect to the internet. Fine. But the Network icon in the Folders only shows its own desktop and "tsclient" but not the host PC. How do I get the VM to see the shared folders on the Host?

TIA
    Patrick

sysmod, Aug 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Sharing WiFi between Win 10 host computer and Hyper-V hosted Windows 10 VM AND connecting... - Similar Threads - Sharing WiFi between

2. Connecting host wifi to hyper v

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting host wifi to hyper v: HiI want to know how to connect my host wifi adapter from windows 11 to hyper v Ubuntu.Currently in hyper v internet connection is working via ethernet via bridge connection....
  3. Connecting host wifi to hyper v

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting host wifi to hyper v: HiI want to know how to connect my host wifi adapter from windows 11 to hyper v Ubuntu.Currently in hyper v internet connection is working via ethernet via bridge connection....
  4. Hyper-V guest VM blocks host's network connection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hyper-V guest VM blocks host's network connection: Hi, I have a weird issue on my Windows 10 Enterprise and I've spent hours to solve it in vain. I have HyperV enabled with several VMs created. I have an external virtual switch created for my Wifi connection that is used by the VMs. Everything was running just fine for a...
  5. Shared clipboard between Hyper-V VM and Win 10 host

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Shared clipboard between Hyper-V VM and Win 10 host: Does Hyper-V support shared clipboard with host. I can't see any way to do it and it's a feature I really miss from Oracle VB. 141251
  6. HYPER-V RDP to a VM on the same host

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HYPER-V RDP to a VM on the same host: Hi folks particularly @Kari (the expert on HYPER-V) !!!! I've got a test Linux VM on a laptop running with HYPER-V. I've installed XRDP on it so I was wondering would es RDP from the host to the VM enable me to get sensible resolution on the vm - Needs a bit of fiddling on...
  7. Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host: I'd like to set up a VM (with Hyper-v) with a Linux distro. I want to isolate VM and host as more as possible. I don't enable advanced mode. But VM should be connected to Internet. I didn't think it was a matter but I was alarmed by this article...
  8. Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar

Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar: Today, mysteriously both my Hyper-V vms are showing the taskbar of the host instead of the vm in enhanced session mode. They have always shown vm's taskbar until today. I can use the Windows key to bring up vm's task bar, but this is really annoying. Does anyone have an idea...
  9. How can Hyper-V VM access shared Host PC drive/folder?

How can Hyper-V VM access shared Host PC drive/folder?: I have just installed Hyper-V and Windows 10 on both Host & VM, and set up a wifi virtual switch so the VM can connect to the internet. Fine. But the Network icon in the Folders only shows its own desktop and "tsclient" but not the host PC. How do I get the VM to see the...
  10. stalled install of hyper-v on win 10 pro host

stalled install of hyper-v on win 10 pro host: Hi, I hope someone may be able to point me in the right direction. I am installing win 10 pro on my machine, which goes fine, then when i try to install hyper-v (add program and features) it seems to go well, reboots, tells me installing features, reboots again, then just...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is the name of hyper-v vm to share in win10

2. hyper v share wifi of host

3. sharing wifi connection hyperv vm

4. connecting vista guest to w10 hyper v host wifi connection,
  5. Copy or share a folder from Hyper-V Virtual machine to the host in win10 vers 1903