Windows 10: Shift a not working

Discus and support Shift a not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; all of a sudden the shift and a do not work at all (no capital a and no lower case a) this is from using the keyboard and the osk.exe on screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ddubbler, Jun 5, 2017.

1. ddubbler Win User

Shift a not working

all of a sudden the shift and a do not work at all (no capital a and no lower case a) this is from using the keyboard and the osk.exe on screen keyboard.

this is for both shift keys. all other keys work fine using shift to make a capital letter.

this seems to have started after updating the computer thru windows update this morning.

any help would be appreciated

:)

ddubbler, Jun 5, 2017
  2. Bill-1954 Win User

Shift keys not working on Windows 10 on a Dell Latitude E6510 Laptop

So, to cut a long story short, soon after changing to Windows 10 my computer shift keys stopped working. If I switched the computer on and off again, then sometimes they worked again. It looked for all the world like a software bug. And indeed, many of the
    posts on here would indicate that is definitely the case. I tried all sorts of clever tricks to get around it. None of them worked and eventually, I just got used to using CAPSLOCK and having a handy list of common symbols that didn't require a shift key.
    I changed my password to all lower case and numbers so that I could always log on. (I know, I know, security and all that.)

I had read one post where someone said that it was a keyboard issue and that the contacts had become dirty. But that seemed unlikely and also, I was wary of taking my laptop apart. Then one day when I was working with the laptop, almost a whole row of keys
    went awol.

I remembered that the blogger had mentioned that the keys disappear in groups. So, I bit the bullet. After 15 minutes of removing the keyboard (very simple - you only need a small crosshead screwdriver), cleaning the contacts and putting it back securely
    I now have a fully functioning keyboard.

Look up how to remove the keyboard on YouTube. I won't link it here. I never follow links myself.

ps Did you see all the capitals and brackets up there? And that question mark? I've got my keyboard back. I guess it works itself loose as you move it around. Bad design. But easy to fix.

Bill-1954, Jun 5, 2017
  3. shift key not working

the shift key as stopped working. I tried a lot of what I can find in the internet (sticky key, driver, hit 5 or 7 or 9 time the shift key) with not success. can anyone help. running windows 10. If I try another keyboard it work, as anyone ever heard
    of just the shift key stop working.

AlainDemers1, Jun 5, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

Shift a not working

Reinstall your keyboard driver.

1) Search for, and open, Computer Management
    2) Click Device Manager > arrow next to Keyboards > right click your keyboard > Uninstall device
    3) (if you see a check box to delete the driver files, check it) Press Uninstall
    4) After so, restart your computer
    5) Once your computer starts up, Windows should automatically install your Keyboard driver
    6) Try out your keyboard's Shift & A

pepanee, Jun 5, 2017
  5. ddubbler Win User
    reinstalled the keyboard driver with no change

ddubbler, Jun 5, 2017
  6. RWOne Win User
    Interesting, can you check the update history and see what was installed?

If it were just the KB and not the OSK I'd go for hardware right away, still a good idea to look at your KB.

Another option is to try an external USB KB as well.

RWOne, Jun 6, 2017
  7. ddubbler Win User
    only the following were installed, don't see that any of them would have affected the kb:

2017-05 security update for adobe flash player for windows 10 ver sion 1702 (KB4020821)

Qualcomm communications driver update for dell wireless 1705 802.11b

Windows malicious software removal tool (KB890830)

Tried another usb KB and same problem

ddubbler, Jun 6, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Shift a not working

Do you have any 3rd-party software for assigning hot keys? Has Shift-A accidentally been made a hot key? Something like that could explain why it also happens for osk.exe.

Bree, Jun 6, 2017
  9. ddubbler Win User
    no i dont have any such software

ddubbler, Jun 6, 2017
  10. ddubbler Win User
    oops it was dual monitor tools, tks I sometimes am such a knucklehead *Smile working fine now

ddubbler, Jun 6, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    Had to be a software issue, what with it affecting the osk. Glad you found it.

12. RWOne Win User
    Cool, glad you found it as well.

RWOne, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Shift a not working

1. Shift a not working - Similar Threads - Shift working

2. Win+Shift+S Shortcut and Snipping Tool Not Working After Windows Update

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Win+Shift+S Shortcut and Snipping Tool Not Working After Windows Update: Hi everyone, I'm facing a challenging issue where my Win+Shift+S screenshot shortcut and the Snipping Tool/Snip & Sketch have completely stopped working following a recent Windows update. Despite extensive troubleshooting, the problem persists, and I'm hoping someone here...
  3. Win+Shift+S Shortcut and Snipping Tool Not Working After Windows Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win+Shift+S Shortcut and Snipping Tool Not Working After Windows Update: Hi everyone, I'm facing a challenging issue where my Win+Shift+S screenshot shortcut and the Snipping Tool/Snip & Sketch have completely stopped working following a recent Windows update. Despite extensive troubleshooting, the problem persists, and I'm hoping someone here...
  4. Win+Shift+S Shortcut and Snipping Tool Not Working After Windows Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. screenshot tool, print screen, and win shift s doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    screenshot tool, print screen, and win shift s doesn't work: When I tried to take a screenshot it did not work. so then, i used print screen. still didn't work. tried snipping tool. didn't open, There was just a "working in background" with a blue loading next to my mouse. i already reset my pc. It still didn't work. I recently factory...
  6. screenshot tool, print screen, and win shift s doesn't work

screenshot tool, print screen, and win shift s doesn't work: When I tried to take a screenshot it did not work. so then, i used print screen. still didn't work. tried snipping tool. didn't open, There was just a "working in background" with a blue loading next to my mouse. i already reset my pc. It still didn't work. I recently factory...
  7. Both of my shift keys are not working. How to fix them?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Both of my shift keys are not working. How to fix them?: It's not a hardware issue as whenever I restart my pc they start working again but only for some time then they stop working again. They work perfectly for some time after pc restart, but then stop working all together. I've tried reinstalling/updating drivers, turning...
  8. Both of my shift keys are not working. How to fix them?

Both of my shift keys are not working. How to fix them?: It's not a hardware issue as whenever I restart my pc they start working again but only for some time then they stop working again. They work perfectly for some time after pc restart, but then stop working all together. I've tried reinstalling/updating drivers, turning...
  9. Left shift and ctrl keys, and click and drag function working intermittently.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Left shift and ctrl keys, and click and drag function working intermittently.: My left shift key and left ctrl keys only work for a fraction of a second.If I hold down the left shift key to capitalise a word, I barely get the first letter to capitalise I need to be quick and subsequent letters have no chance.The same goes for the left ctrl key. I need...
  10. Left shift and ctrl keys, and click and drag function working intermittently.

Left shift and ctrl keys, and click and drag function working intermittently.: My left shift key and left ctrl keys only work for a fraction of a second.If I hold down the left shift key to capitalise a word, I barely get the first letter to capitalise I need to be quick and subsequent letters have no chance.The same goes for the left ctrl key. I need...