Windows 10: Shift for selecting multiple Files not working

Discus and support Shift for selecting multiple Files not working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; First of all I would like to say how well laid out this forum is. Just joined and hope to find some solution to my problem. Windows 10 has many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jupp steeb, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Shift for selecting multiple Files not working

First of all I would like to say how well laid out this forum is. Just joined and hope to find some solution to my problem.

Windows 10 has many little problems, her are some with "Shift"!

If I want to let's say select 10 Files in Windows File Manager and click on the first one, press Shift and click on the last one. (I used this method since windows 3.1)

10 files are now selected, if I do this in Windows 3.1 to 7. Windows 10 ignores Shift and the click selects the last file and no other file is highlighted any more, the highlight just jumps to file 10!

I even tried to switch on "Use check boxes to select items", rebooted and nothing had changed. Can not even get check boxes!

Shift for selecting multiple Files not working [​IMG]

In your Forums Tutorials the is a section with File manger shortcuts which states:

Shift with any arrow key:"Select more than one item in a window or on the desktop or select text within a document"

No luck here either! Has any of you got an idea what is going wrong.

:)

jupp steeb, Nov 27, 2015

2. Selecting multiple files - shift clicking doesnt work. all the settings already match those suggested on this forum.

Hi,

Since you mentioned that you already tried changing some settings in the control panel, then, we recommend to restore the default settings.

• First, click Start, type Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type File Explorer Options.
    • Click File Explorer Options, then select General
      tab.
    • Under Privacy, select the Restore Defaults
      option.
    • Lastly, click Apply, then OK.

We look forward to your response.

Marvelos Reg, Nov 27, 2015
  3. Varvatsis Win User
    Selecting multiple files - shift clicking doesnt work. all the settings already match those suggested on this forum.

I cannot select multiple files by shift + click any more. There is a community thread which suggests changing some settings in the control panel. But when I checked those, they have already been made on my computer. It still doesn't work. Have you got any
    idea what I do? I need this function to do my job.

Varvatsis, Nov 27, 2015
  4. Shift for selecting multiple Files not working

Sorry, I don't have this bug. I tested this and in my case the selection follow the expected pattern, i.e. shift-leftclick selects all files between this file and the file that I first selected. Are you sure you're using leftclick?

ugcheleuce, Nov 28, 2015
  5. I had the same problem. I unchecked "Use check boxes to select items" and that restored the Shift Click file selection function. I did not have to reboot.

sunbodyjim, Jan 20, 2016
  6. KeithM Win User
    Try the Reset Folders button that we can see there on your View tab. Save views hold a servies of flags & sometimes FWF_SINGLESEL gets set & propagated through saved views.

Keith

KeithM, Jan 20, 2016
  7. I am having the same problem sporadically. I notice it particularly with Roxio DVD burn where I am trying to select multiple folders rather than mulitple files.

RoedyGreen, May 16, 2016
  8. Marcos Win User

Shift for selecting multiple Files not working

April 14 2017
    I was not able to select multiple files in Windows 10, even after doing everything I read except after I tried by emptying my Temp files and Bingo!! Problem solved!

Marcos, Apr 13, 2017
  9. I had this problem as well. I clicked on reset folders button and it FIXED my problem

Lenny Hickson, Sep 19, 2017
  10. rdwray Win User
    Tried "Reset folders" and it did not fix the problem.

rdwray, Dec 6, 2017
  11. Well, I've been a Windows user since 3.1 in 1984, and I have to thank you for your question. See, I've been using—since then—CTRL→drag-left-click or Select All→deselect-undesired or select-undesired→invert-selection-manually (now there's an Invert Selection option).

I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but I tried the method you're having trouble with, and it's a time-saver. Note: I have "Use check boxes to select items" option enabled.

Have you tried System Restore? I hesitated to offer this possible solution, seeing as how you are such an experienced Windows user, but sometimes this works for me with similarly baffling problems.

gremlinkurst, Dec 8, 2017
  12. rdwray Win User
    I have found that playing with themes, especially high contrast, will mess with file explorer. After selecting one of Windows 10 normal themes, everything is working as it should.

rdwray, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Shift for selecting multiple Files not working

1. Shift for selecting multiple Files not working - Similar Threads - Shift selecting multiple

2. Shift not working to select multiple files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift not working to select multiple files.: I usually click on a file then hold down shift and click on another one below it and the computer will select everything in between but this isn't working after an update, I've updated to windows 11 a long time ago and this problem has never occurred, can someone please help?...
  3. Shift not working to select multiple files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shift not working to select multiple files.: I usually click on a file then hold down shift and click on another one below it and the computer will select everything in between but this isn't working after an update, I've updated to windows 11 a long time ago and this problem has never occurred, can someone please help?...
  4. select multiple files without losing selections

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    select multiple files without losing selections: How do you select multiple files in file explorer and then ensure none of those files are deselected.\I have a ton of PDF files really books I have downloaded.Now I am trying to organize them into folders.All intermixed have files about God, investing, supply chain...
  5. select multiple files without losing selections

in Windows 10 Gaming
    select multiple files without losing selections: How do you select multiple files in file explorer and then ensure none of those files are deselected.\I have a ton of PDF files really books I have downloaded.Now I am trying to organize them into folders.All intermixed have files about God, investing, supply chain...
  6. select multiple files without losing selections

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Select multiple files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Select multiple files: Selecting multiple files using control key has stopped. What has happened. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/select-multiple-files/6d74d5ba-2fb5-4c21-bd6c-56cf151b442f
  8. Problem Selecting Multiple Files

Problem Selecting Multiple Files: Suddenly I can't select multiple files in Windows 10 File Explorer. While holding CTRL or SHIFT, I select the second file and the first one is deselected. This is very annoying when I want to do a group action. What has happened and how can I fix it?...
  9. I can't select multiple files in file explorer using either shift or ctrl keys. Keyboard...

I can't select multiple files in file explorer using either shift or ctrl keys. Keyboard...: Any idea why this would be the case? Every "answer" I find says to just use the shift key, but for some reason this is NOT working. The keyboard works fine, so it's not my shift key!...
  10. File Explorer Multiple Selection Using BOTH Check Boxes AND Shift Key

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer Multiple Selection Using BOTH Check Boxes AND Shift Key: I've been trying for months to find a way to use both Check Boxes AND Shift Key for multiple file selection. Searching Google and this forum I haven't found the solution. This thread Shift for selecting multiple Files not working comes close to this but not BOTH. I've been...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when I close a page my computer hesitated and the desktop icons jumps

2. selecting multiple files not working

3. shift key not selecting multiple files

4. shift for selecting multiple files not working