Windows 10: Shift key doesn't always work

Discus and support Shift key doesn't always work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So this issue only happens intermittently and there is no rhyme or reason for it [say, works after a reboot then goes out after awhile], it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bsta, Jan 8, 2017.

1. bsta Win User

Shift key doesn't always work

So this issue only happens intermittently and there is no rhyme or reason for it [say, works after a reboot then goes out after awhile], it's completely random, as you can see, I was able to capitalize the beginning of this sentence, and the "I" awhile back, and it's working now, but wasn't when i tried to add in parenthesis earlier. \

DjdkdddDDDDDDDddddddDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

so, for example, you can see I was holding shift that whole time and it went out on it's own for a bit there in the middle.

so, loose cable maybe?

i've checked the region
    I've uninstalled the drivers
    i've checked sticky keys

When it goes, it's both, even though i only really use the left one.

Computer is an Asusf555L laptop running windows 10

TBh, it's usually a lot worse than this, in that it's totally out... this message it has been in and out more than usual. But that is good as it illustrates my point. Going to just do some random testing at the end of this message. Sorry if it just comes off as gibberish.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA|B\B
    BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    CcccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccCCCCcccccccccccc
    DddddddddddddddddddddddddDddddddddddddddddddddDddddddddddddd (here it only capitalized the first d of a hold... ie, when I released and repressed I got a cap again)
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
    !@#$%^&*()_+{}":L
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@
    ??????????????????????????????????
    ?????????????????????????????????????????
    FfffffffffffffffGgggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhjfddddddddddFffffffffffffffffffffffffGgggggggggggggggg ghhhhhhhhhh

Idk man

:)

bsta, Jan 8, 2017

2. my shift key always in lowercase

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To better assist you, do let us know what exactly you mean by "always in lower case".

-When you hold down the shift key and type something, does the letter change to a lower case?

- Do you have the caps lock key enabled?

Check to make sure the caps lock key is turned off. If it is enabled, the letter will change to lower case when you hold down the shift key and type a letter.

However, if this is not the case, do get back to us with more details regarding the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Wungraileng Vashi, Jan 8, 2017
  3. rageye01 Win User
    my shift key always in lowercase

my shiftkey is all ways in lower case and will not let me use it in upper case

rageye01, Jan 8, 2017
  4. Shift key doesn't always work

Welcome to the TenForums.

Do you have access to usb keyboard you can try?

Doesn't sound like driver but uninstalling and then using mouse to reboot windows should re-install. Create a restore point before trying.

First I'm just asking.... Have you ever accidentally split anything into keyboard.

While not as simple as it could be, you can find videos on how to disassemble your model. Maybe reseat cables. Watch static this time of year, its a killer. Cables are delicate and your need to release them carefully. This step is not for everyone, try only if you feel very comfortable taking things apart. Could be a lot of pieces.

It sounds like your keyboard is failing. Good news is they are replaceable. USB keyboard will be a good test. If you don't have try a friend. If problem moves to USB keyboard then we need another solution.

Caledon Ken, Jan 9, 2017
  5. bsta Win User
    Thanks.

No USB keyboard. the onscreen one works okay. that's what i use in a pinch if i really need a questionmark or an 2222222222222222222222222222222222 at symbol.

I tried the drivers already. No go. I agree that taking it apart and checking connections is the logical next step. I've done it before with past laptops. I do what you suggested in watching someone else on youtube do it first so I know where the tricky screws and cables are first. Blah

bsta, Jan 9, 2017
  6. spunk Win User
    Your laptop keyboard is failing.
    You can purchase a new keyboard from Ebay
    There are YouTube videos that show you how to replace the keyboard.
    Till then you can use the onscreen keyboard or a USB keyboard.

spunk, Jan 9, 2017
  7. bsta Win User
    why only those two buttons/

bsta, Jan 9, 2017
  8. Barman58 Win User

Keyboards were originally designed using individual switches under each key, These are still available but are quite expensive so tend to be used by gamers as they have a better "feel", and take the wear of gaming better.

Modern keyboards now use a matrix of "wires", (actually a web of connections on flexible circuit boards), the keyboard's internal processor takes the signals from the matrix and decides which Key Code to send to the OS.

Over time the connections on the matrix can wear so that they do not make the proper connection, or maybe even any connection at all. This can cause either the wrong code or no code at all to be sent to the OS - these type of keyboards are such that a repair is not economic .

This will eventually happen to a Switch based keyboard but this will take a lot longer often years longer, and it may be possible to replace the key switch when it fails

Barman58, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Shift key doesn't always work - Similar Threads - Shift key doesn't

2. shift key doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shift key doesn't work: hello there, i hope that you are all having a good day. recently, i have run into a very strange problem on my laptop. my shift key doesn't work. however, this only happens sometimes. for example, when i first boot the laptop, the shift keys don't work. there are times where...
  3. shift key doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shift key doesn't work: hello there, i hope that you are all having a good day. recently, i have run into a very strange problem on my laptop. my shift key doesn't work. however, this only happens sometimes. for example, when i first boot the laptop, the shift keys don't work. there are times where...
  4. shift key doesn't work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Shift key doesn't work on occasion

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Shift key doesn't work on occasion: Hello there, I hope that you are having a good day. I am having a problem where my shift keys on my keyboard don't work after the PC wakes up from a sleep state. Sometimes this also occurs when I boot the PC up. I am not sure what is going on because I have updated all of my...
  6. Shift key doesn't work on occasion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift key doesn't work on occasion: Hello there, I hope that you are having a good day. I am having a problem where my shift keys on my keyboard don't work after the PC wakes up from a sleep state. Sometimes this also occurs when I boot the PC up. I am not sure what is going on because I have updated all of my...
  7. Shift key doesn't work on occasion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Screenshot hotkey, Windows key + SHIFT + S, doesn't always work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Screenshot hotkey, Windows key + SHIFT + S, doesn't always work: The hotkey Windows key + SHIFT + S for taking a screenshot has worked flawlessly for a while, but recently it has started to become unreliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The only way for me to get it working again is to restart my PC, which obviously isn't the...
  9. my shift key doesn't work.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my shift key doesn't work.: My shift key doesn't work. any quick fixes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-shift-key-doesnt-work/32f3a947-fc30-4d4a-a93a-80805be44844
  10. My shift button doesn't work for some keys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My shift button doesn't work for some keys: Hi , I need help my shift button doesn't work since 2 days ago. My shift button somehow doesn't work for some keys so I can do uppercase, but my shift button can't do it. When I press "t","y","n","b" somehow I can't make them to uppercase with the shift button "" I can't and...