Windows 10: Shift key not responding properly

Discus and support Shift key not responding properly in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am having problems with both my desktop computer and my Surface Pro tablet. The shift key does not work when shifting from a number to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by aldbb, Apr 1, 2018.

1. aldbb Win User

Shift key not responding properly

I am having problems with both my desktop computer and my Surface Pro tablet. The shift key does not work when shifting from a number to the alternative character. Same thing for any special character keys. Everything seems OK when shifting letter keys. My thought was that this happened after a win10 update as both desktop and tablet were affected at the same time. I`ve tried win restore but does not work. Before I reinstall OS was hoping someone had some thoughts.
    Thanks

:)

aldbb, Apr 1, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

Shift Keys + Arrow key are not working properly

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

You may follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the issue

Method 1

Disable Antivirus and security-related products, if you have any Antivirus installed for (Free) uninstall it, if not then disable the Antivirus, try again to update and check if issue is resolved.

Note: Antivirus software helps protecting your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software
    and\or troubleshoot any pertinent issue, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to malware attacks

• Restart your PC and check if it works.
    Method 2: Perform clean boot

Check if the issue persists, in safe mode.

Safe mode steps

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab02

If the issue does not persist in safe mode, then perform a clean boot to from safe mode to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

How to troubleshoot problem by performing clean boot in Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Apr 1, 2018
  3. RkKing Win User
    Shift Keys + Arrow key are not working properly

I haven't any antivirus other than Windows defender. I tried both the methods you suggested. But it is
    still not working. I also restored my PC to 20 days back (There was not any problem at that time) but it is still not working.

RkKing, Apr 1, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

Only thought I have is based upon the flags in your Avatar. Are you using more than 1 language in your Win10 setup? If so that may be where the issue is.

Berton, Apr 1, 2018
  5. Jaxon Win User
    Hi,
    Is it not working on the keyboard or On-Screen keyboard also? If both are not working perform the following steps:
    1. Perform BIOS default
    2. Update I/O driver
    3. Update Hot Key drivers.
    Hope this would help.

Jaxon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Shift key not responding properly - Similar Threads - Shift key responding

2. Left shift key not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Left shift key not working properly: I run Windows 11 dual booted with Ubuntu 20.04. Recently after switching back to windows I noticed that the left shift key only capitalizes a couple letters then stopped. It works fine in safe mode and I haven’t installed anything other than an update for Windows lately. Any...
  3. Left shift key not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Left shift key not working properly: I run Windows 11 dual booted with Ubuntu 20.04. Recently after switching back to windows I noticed that the left shift key only capitalizes a couple letters then stopped. It works fine in safe mode and I haven’t installed anything other than an update for Windows lately. Any...
  4. ctrl and shift key are not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ctrl and shift key are not responding: No matter I press it, it will not respond on my desktop. I tried to use it on different device, and it works fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ctrl-and-shift-key-are-not-responding/bec2272c-8a84-45d9-8e9a-bbe579a7303c
  5. ctrl and shift key are not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ctrl and shift key are not responding: No matter I press it, it will not respond on my desktop. I tried to use it on different device, and it works fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ctrl-and-shift-key-are-not-responding/bec2272c-8a84-45d9-8e9a-bbe579a7303c
  6. ctrl and shift key are not responding

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Dlt,Shift+Dlt,Backspace keys not working properly

Dlt,Shift+Dlt,Backspace keys not working properly: I use an AsusVivo book and Delete,Backspace keys r not working properly.When i press the BACKSPACE key while typing the cursor jump to the beginning of the line.While browsing internet the BACKSPACE key work as a PAGEDOWN key. When i press SHIFT+DELETE to a particular...
  8. my ctrl and shift keys dont work properly

in Windows 10 Customization
    my ctrl and shift keys dont work properly: hello, so when i press shift or ctrl both of the keys are being pressed for some reason i dont know why, its been bugging me almost for about a month i would really appreciate help ps. its not sticky keys, those are off...
  9. Right Shift key isn't working properly.

Right Shift key isn't working properly.: I got a new keyboard and right away I've noticed that the Right Shift key isn't working properly. While trying to capitalize the letter T it doesn't work, some letters work fine other sometimes type out a different letter, mostly F or S. This problem occurs only while holding...
  10. Not responding Properly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not responding Properly: The brightness changer is not properly working in my laptop. When I change the brightness ,It's not changing it took some time and also it is not properly working .Please give me some solution. Reply fast .It disturbing my vision . And also it make stress to my eyes....