Windows 10: Shift + Restart not giving me the Reset option...

Discus and support Shift + Restart not giving me the Reset option... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Howdy, I have a brand new Dell XPS13 that I need to do a Reset on as we can't login. I did the Shift+Restart option but don't get the same options... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kelemvor, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Kelemvor Win User

Shift + Restart not giving me the Reset option...

Howdy,

I have a brand new Dell XPS13 that I need to do a Reset on as we can't login. I did the Shift+Restart option but don't get the same options I'm used to. This is Win 10 Pro if that matters.

Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

After I click the Troubleshooting box, instead of getting Reset and Advanced for options, I get UEFI Settings and Startup Settings. When I choose Startup Settings, I get the prompts for F1 - F9 but there's no option for F10 for more options and nothing in F1-F9 is a reset.

I also tried the Power Button power off thing and eventually got that to come to the Error screen but that also doesn't ever seem to give me a Reset option anywhere.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to reset this thing?

:)

Kelemvor, Mar 29, 2017
  2. neilpzz Win User

reset windows 10

Try restarting in diagnostic mode. Select Start > Power (hold down shift) and select Restart. This should restart the PC and give the option for Troubleshoot. Select that then Reset this PC.

neilpzz, Mar 29, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Deleting User Accounts

Ah, if you are giving your computer away, this is the safest method:

Press the Shift key while clicking Restart

Upon Restart, go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Reset this PC

Start the Reset, this will clean all your data from the PC safely . . .

DaveM121, Mar 29, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

If it's brand new, can you access the manufacturer's recovery partition and use that?

dalchina, Mar 29, 2017
  5. Its possible that the reset option was disabled in light of having the recovery partition. On every Dell Ive had the boot options menu comes up with F12. Start spamming F12 just a soon as the machine powers on and enter the boot menu. I cant remember for certain (Its been a while since Ive had to do it) but that may give you an option to boot to the recovery partition.

ArazelEternal, Mar 29, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
  7. Kelemvor Win User
    I was actually just reading that article. It says to use Recovery Media but I don't have any recovery media. I have never been able to log into this computer far enough to create any recovery media.

I guess I'm going to try just using a Win10 flash drive to boot from that and see if it will reinstall.

Kelemvor, Mar 29, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Amazingly, it seems you have to be able to log in to use the recovery partition in Win 10 with a Dell.

Surely that can't be so... Hmm.

If you end up reinstalling Win 10, could I suggest you start using disk imaging routinely immediately? E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) - and create a recovery medium.

dalchina, Mar 29, 2017
  9. Kelemvor Win User
    This is a one-off computer. I'm reinstalling Windows 10 on it right now.
    Thanks.

Kelemvor, Mar 29, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Seems so, and not just for Dell. Settings>Update & recovery>Recovery>Advanced startup will ask for an account and password too. You won't get asked for one if you boot from a recovery drive, or get to WinRE through a Hard Reboot.
    Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

Thema:

1. Shift + Restart not giving me the Reset option... - Similar Threads - Shift Restart giving

2. Why is discord not giving me an option to install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is discord not giving me an option to install?: I can click install but when the little screen pops up to click it again, it doesn't work?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-discord-not-giving-me-an-option-to-install/3d842a7f-aa59-4ba5-9110-6bf591fc117b
  3. Windows 10 Not Giving Me Wifi Option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Not Giving Me Wifi Option: I just received a built PC and installed Windows 10 on it. I was excited to start using it, but for some reason, it was only giving me the option to connect via ethernet. I was specifically trying to make this computer run on wifi, but nothing is being detected. The...
  4. Windows 10 Not Giving Me Wifi Option

Windows 10 Not Giving Me Wifi Option: I just received a built PC and installed Windows 10 on it. I was excited to start using it, but for some reason, it was only giving me the option to connect via ethernet. I was specifically trying to make this computer run on wifi, but nothing is being detected. The...
  5. Does Reset this PC give me an option to select UEFI?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Reset this PC give me an option to select UEFI?: My microsoft account was originally created with an old email in the xbox 360 days. I've since added a new email and deleted the old lost email from the account. A side effect of this is that when doing anything other than signing into the main services xbox / microsoft...
  6. Does Reset this PC give me an option to select UEFI?

Does Reset this PC give me an option to select UEFI?: My microsoft account was originally created with an old email in the xbox 360 days. I've since added a new email and deleted the old lost email from the account. A side effect of this is that when doing anything other than signing into the main services xbox / microsoft...
  7. Does Reset this PC give me an option to select UEFI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Reset laptop, only giving me an Ethernet option in setup?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reset laptop, only giving me an Ethernet option in setup?: I have a HP Probook Intel core i5 10th gen which was not allowing me to connect to wifi at all.After following troubleshooting advice which did not work, I decided to reset the laptop completley, and now on the windows 10 setup it is asking me to connect to the internet to...
  9. Windows doesn't give me an option to shut down nor restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows doesn't give me an option to shut down nor restart: As of yesterday, for some reason my computer no longer gives me an option to shut down or restart. I can sign out, but it only lets me sign back in. Obviously I can just use the power button, but it's slower since I have to hold it for a bit. Does anyone know what's wrong...
  10. OneDrive won't give me a log in option

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive won't give me a log in option: Hi, I have a new computer, but when I tried to log into OneDrive, it wouldn't even give me the Log In option. I had to download the application and it won't syncronise with my computer, making it a headache each time I need something in my drive. How can I solve this?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shift restart no reset option