Windows 10: Shortcut for maximising from snapped window

Discus and support Shortcut for maximising from snapped window in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I've recently updated to W10, and am hoping I'm missing a shortcut for maximising snapped windows. I'm the sort of person that likes to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bladesman, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Bladesman Win User

Shortcut for maximising from snapped window

Hi all,

I've recently updated to W10, and am hoping I'm missing a shortcut for maximising snapped windows.

I'm the sort of person that likes to minimise mouse use. I'm used to snapping windows to the left or right using the shortcut "Start + Left/Right Arrow". I can still use this, and I generally like the Snap Assist functionality that now comes with it.

However, I am currently finding it quite annoying to use keyboard shortcuts to get out of this view (i.e. when you have 1 screen snapped left and 1 screen snapped right). The only shortcut I can find for maximising a screen is "Start + Up Arrow", however this will instead snap it to the top quadrant (on its respective side), and snap assist will ask you what you want to snap to the bottom quadrant. From what I can see, you then have to Esc out of this and then try "Start + Up Arrow" again.

Is there not a keyboard shortcut to maximise directly from a snapped window? It's currently taking 3 keyboard shortcuts, which is sort of a paradox.

It sounds fairly basic, but it's quite annoying when you are regularly snapping windows to left/right, and something I could do easily on W7.

For completeness, steps to reproduce:

1. Have several windows open in W10, (min. 3). Also, have snap assist turned on in settings
    2. "Start + Left Arrow" to snap active screen to left. Snap assist should appear on right
    3. Use Arrow Keys and Enter to select a window to snap to right
    Imagine working on these screens for a bit
    4. Now try to maximise a window, use shortcut "Start + Up Arrow" - doesn't work, screen will snap to top left/right
    5. Press Esc to exit Snap Assist
    6. Again try to maximise window, use shortcut "Start + Up Arrow"

If anyone could help me find a way to end the process at step 4, that would be lovely!

Thanks a lot,

Tom

:)

Bladesman, Jan 26, 2016
  2. Mikeytc Win User

I am so sick of having to maximise each web page I open in windows 10. It is totally ridiculous that a fix that works does not appear to be available.

I am using IE 11 and it happens with every web page shortcut bar one I open. I can maximise the open page, close it and when I reopen it I need to maximise the page again. The exception is the page set as my home page. On this page I can select maximised
    from the properties tab and it will always do that. This facility to maximise is not available with any other shortcut.

Mikeytc, Jan 26, 2016
  3. J. B.M Win User
    WINDOW EXPLORER not opening / maximising in WINDOW 10

You have used the same Shortcut for Maximise and Minimise! Up arrow + Windows key is Maximise!

I have the properties set in the Task Bar shortcut for Maximised and it don't work! Nor does Windows key + E. and the same with any other method of opening the FE.

When I first open the File Explorer I need to maximise it and then close it to be able to have a Maximised FE until I next restart Windows 10 Pro. This applies to all methods of opening FE, so repeat for each method which is a RRPA.

An RRPA (Right Royal Pain in the ****)

*All spelling anglicised. Funny Win Answers insists on American spell corrections but recognises an Anglo Saxon word for a our personal refuse disposal orifice!

J. B.M, Jan 26, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Try ALT + Spacebar + X

philc43, Jan 26, 2016
Thema:

1. Shortcut for maximising from snapped window - Similar Threads - Shortcut maximising snapped

2. Window snapping shortcut for two columns not three

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window snapping shortcut for two columns not three: A while ago the shortcut Winkey+left/right arrow stopped dividing my desktop into two columns, and now when I press Winkey+left arrow key it divides the screen into three columns. How do I set the winkey+arrow key to be a 50/50 layout rather than a three-column one?...
  3. Window snapping shortcut for two columns not three

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window snapping shortcut for two columns not three: A while ago the shortcut Winkey+left/right arrow stopped dividing my desktop into two columns, and now when I press Winkey+left arrow key it divides the screen into three columns. How do I set the winkey+arrow key to be a 50/50 layout rather than a three-column one?...
  4. snap using shortcut key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    snap using shortcut key: by using shortcut key my snap not working partial pop up but not save but if open app then working . i update few mothth ago as update coming https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snap-using-shortcut-key/d86a4edb-a033-46dc-b131-6ed8dff84873
  5. snap using shortcut key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    snap using shortcut key: by using shortcut key my snap not working partial pop up but not save but if open app then working . i update few mothth ago as update coming https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snap-using-shortcut-key/d86a4edb-a033-46dc-b131-6ed8dff84873
  6. Snap windows turned off = Cannot move maximised window (Win 10 v2004)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Snap windows turned off = Cannot move maximised window (Win 10 v2004): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/fluidzreddit [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i5kzna/snap_windows_turned_off_cannot_move_maximised/
  7. Disabling Mouse drag snap but keeping Keyboard shortcuts snap

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling Mouse drag snap but keeping Keyboard shortcuts snap: I have been trying to find a solution to this but have come up with nothing. I am having trouble with resizing windows with the mouse, where it automatically either maximises or snaps to one side when it is not my intention. I want to disable this, but the two options I...
  8. Snap windows (issue with keyboard shortcut)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Snap windows (issue with keyboard shortcut): I have the Windows 10, version 1903 with the latest update installed (October 24, 2019—KB4522355 (OS Build 18362.449), at the time of writing). I have had this issue related to the 'Snap windows' feature for a while: Under Settings > System > Multitasking, I have enabled...
  9. keyboard shortcuts with the windows key snap assist

in Windows 10 Customization
    keyboard shortcuts with the windows key snap assist: I am unable to snap on my windows 10 machine via the keyboard shortcut (windows key + arrow of the diection of snap) because everytime I hit the windows button it opens the start menu. How do I access all the keyboard shortcuts that start with the windows key if it always...
  10. Windows snapping keyboard shortcut hotkeys not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows snapping keyboard shortcut hotkeys not working: Hi, So suddenly today while rearranging windows, snapping stopped working. I'm unable to snap windows using the Win + Left/Right/Up/Down. Moving the windows with the mouse still works, but not with the keyboard hotkeys. As you can imagine this is incredibly inconvenient...