Windows 10: Shortcut icons keep changing

Discus and support Shortcut icons keep changing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Shortcuts used to be indicated by a fairly unobtrusive arrow in the corner. A few days ago they changed to an overly visible white arrow in a green... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pchelp, Jan 16, 2016.

1. pchelp Win User

Shortcut icons keep changing

Shortcuts used to be indicated by a fairly unobtrusive arrow in the corner. A few days ago they changed to an overly visible white arrow in a green circle in the lower middle of the program icon. Then they changed to a gray X in the corner. Now they're back to the arrow in the green circle. What's going on?

:)

pchelp, Jan 16, 2016

2. Desktop shortcut icons keep changing from arrow to nothing or other image on WIndows 10

To assist you further on this issue, we suggest that you get in touch with our
    Answer Desk team. This is to properly identify the root cause of this issue and for you to be assisted further
    on the next possible resolution to sort this out.

Should you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to let us know.

Eileen Gal, Jan 16, 2016
  3. Philo53 Win User
    Desktop shortcut icons keep changing from arrow to nothing or other image on WIndows 10

I tried that on 10/3. Here's what I reported then: When I tried that the only option available to me (in choose what to keep) was to keep nothing, so I aborted that process.

Philo53, Jan 16, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

1. Try right click at the desktop > click Refresh.

2. Go to your Resolution window, change it to a different resolution and then back.
    Settings > System > Display > right side, click Advanced Display Settings > change the resolution and then back to Recommended setting.

davidhk, Jan 16, 2016
  5. pchelp Win User
    So they change whenever the resolution changes? I play several games that muck about with the resolution. I wish they didn't but they do so I guess that's why they're changing, right? Because that's what I was asking-not how to 'fix' them but rather why they keep changing. Thanks.

pchelp, Jan 16, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Well, if resetting resolution does fix the problem, wouldn't you say that is also " why " they keep changing ?

davidhk, Jan 16, 2016
  7. pchelp Win User
    Not necessarily. I've had issues on other computers that refreshing the desktop fixed even though I know it wasn't the cause. Taken with my games that do change the resolution though it's a pretty fair guess. Thanks.

pchelp, Jan 16, 2016
  8. pchelp Win User

This is old enough that I'm not sure others will find this but I finally found the answer. At least part of it and it's got nothing to do with the resolution. The arrow in the green circle is OneDrive indicating the local file is in sync with the online file. Which is total garbage since I don't have any online files-and I'm not too sure that shortcuts should be synced anyway. I don't use OneDrive at all but Microsoft in their infinite greed won't let me uninstall it. I did find an article telling me how to entirely disable it though. I'll give that a try & hope that it gets rid of the icon overlays. (It's amazing how using the right terms can let you find helpful articles.)

The gray X that also appears isn't mentioned as a OneDrive overlay but I'm willing to be it indicates that OneDrive's most recent check of the sync status either failed or is incomplete.

pchelp, Jan 22, 2016
  9. PJLLB Win User
    Since when is giving away a free function considered greed? And you can fully disable it. So I don't see a problem here.
    If this is greed, then you should see the added apps/functions Google has on Android. But I don't this Googel is greedy eathier.

PJLLB, Jan 22, 2016
  10. pchelp Win User
    Maybe it's my paranoia but I'm pretty certain that MS is getting paid for this 'free' function. Same with Google. We might not pay (other than in frustration) but it's greed that drives any profit-making company.

pchelp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Shortcut icons keep changing - Similar Threads - Shortcut icons keep

2. Can not change a shortcut's icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can not change a shortcut's icon: I am trying to change a shortcut's icon to an icon from a .dll in a linked drive. I can view the icons, from the .dll, in the icon menu but when I select an icon and apply it I get the default icon, the Dog-eared sheet of paper, instead of my custom logo. However, if I have...
  3. Can not change a shortcut's icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not change a shortcut's icon: I am trying to change a shortcut's icon to an icon from a .dll in a linked drive. I can view the icons, from the .dll, in the icon menu but when I select an icon and apply it I get the default icon, the Dog-eared sheet of paper, instead of my custom logo. However, if I have...
  4. Can not change a shortcut's icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't change shortcut icon

Can't change shortcut icon: I keep a shortcut for File Explorer on my desktop. Until the last Win10 update last week, it displayed the icon I selected for it under Properties, Change Icon. Now it displays a blank icon on the desktop, and won't display the one I choose for it, even thought the Properties...
  6. Changed shortcut icon.

Changed shortcut icon.: Hello, I have just had a strange experience with my desktop icons. All my dektop shortcuts had their little arrow icon changed into a black character with a waving hand on a white background. It covered most of the icon behind it. However after I reset Windows Explorer, the...
  7. Changing Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Desktop Shortcut Icons: I have a new computer just 8 days old. I run Windows 10 ver. 1909 and have an office 365 subscription. 2 days ago Windows Update installed its updates and then Office 365 tried to update and it crashed. This has happened to me before a while back on another computer and the...
  8. Changing a Shortcut Icon

Changing a Shortcut Icon: I'd like to change the icon of a Google docs shortcut from the standard Microsoft Edge logo to the actual Google docs logo. Is this possible, as if so how do I do this? Thank you...
  9. Shortcut icons change

Shortcut icons change: My PC has crashed on reboot. I had to turn it off by pressing and holding the power button. Then I turned on my PC but the shortcut icons have changed. They have an arrow now. But my computer is working without any other problems...
  10. desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving: my desktop shortcut icons keep changing size and moving about. this isn't a big deal; just annoying. check out the attachments. any ideas? [img] [img] [img] 60173

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Desktop internet shortcut arrows keep changing