Windows 10: Shortcut properties - setting and preserving

Discus and support Shortcut properties - setting and preserving in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am working with a fresh W10 install. I am used to W7. One old (x86) application I run requires that I configure the Start in setting for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RHinCT, Sep 21, 2015.

1. RHinCT Win User

Shortcut properties - setting and preserving

I am working with a fresh W10 install. I am used to W7.

One old (x86) application I run requires that I configure the Start in setting for the shortcut that launches it. The shortcut that was placed on the desktop did not let me change that. The shortcut in the New list does not let me change that. The shortcut in the All Programs list does not let me change that. Right-click does not offer Properties.

I created a new shortcut on the desktop. That lets me open Properties, so I was able to make the required change to Start In. That shortcut launches correctly. However when I right-click in that shortcut and Pin to Start, launching from the Start menu does NOT launch correctly (which is to say, the program is not started using the Start In value). Apparently the property I changed is lost for the Start menu.

How can I control the Properties of this in the All Programs, Start menu, and other places where right-click does not give the the Properties option? How can I keep a change to Properties from being lost when an item is pinned to Start? Is any of this even possible?

Thanks!

RH in CT

:)

RHinCT, Sep 21, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

How to preserve multiple sets of printer properties for the same printer

That's not a stupid question. It's a very good question.

The first thing you have to know is that the details of printing are managed not by Windows but by the printer's own driver. Windows only provides the infrastructure.

Printer drivers frequently offer 'profiles' that describe how printing will be performed. Most people don't know about this, and have no reason to know about it, so they use the default printer profile.

Your printer probably has profiles that will work well for you, or you can create your own profile. Then, when the time comes to print, just select the profile you want and - voila!

In Control Panel go to Printers and Devices then right-click on your printer's icon and select Printing Preferences from the context menu. That's where you'll find the printer profiles.

If that doesn't work, ask your printer manufacturer for help.

BulldogXX, Sep 21, 2015
  3. How to preserve multiple sets of printer properties for the same printer

I have a feeling this is an "I'm going to feel really stupid when someone tells me the answer" kind of question, but here goes:

I work in a small office (2 people, 1 networked printer). We use different printer properties for various kinds of print jobs (b/w vs. color; specific paper tray, etc.). I don't want to have to remember to switch properties whenever I need to print something.
    My thought was to create a duplicate of that printer and set the properties I need, then name it "Yellow paper printer" or "Everyday printer" or whatever. I'm pretty sure that I had done something like that back in the day, before Windows became so "helpful"
    that it keeps me from "accidentally" duplicating a printer.

Note: this is not as simple as storing printer properties in a document or template, because I may need to use a particular set of properties from Word, Excel, or Publisher. And a particular document may need to be printed with different properties at different
    times (draft vs. final, etc.).

So, what is the best way to create and preserve a set of printer properties that I can use as needed without tinkering with each individual property?

Note regarding my technical level. I used to be pretty adept at the under-the-hood aspects of Windows, but that was in a former career in a galaxy far, far away. My up-close technical knowledge is at least a decade outdated. So I still understand concepts
    but am not familiar with current details.

BarbaraBruneau, Sep 21, 2015
  4. RHinCT Win User

RHinCT, Sep 24, 2015
Thema:

1. Shortcut properties - setting and preserving - Similar Threads - Shortcut properties setting

2. Create a shortcut to my headphone properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create a shortcut to my headphone properties: Hi,I have a problem with my bluetooth headphones since I upgraded to Windows 11 : when I connect them, sometimes the volume is very low. So I check the volume :- on the taskbar volume button- on the volume mixer- on the old version of the volume mixer sometimes the volume...
  3. Create a shortcut to my headphone properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create a shortcut to my headphone properties: Hi,I have a problem with my bluetooth headphones since I upgraded to Windows 11 : when I connect them, sometimes the volume is very low. So I check the volume :- on the taskbar volume button- on the volume mixer- on the old version of the volume mixer sometimes the volume...
  4. Shortcut Tab missing in Shortcut properties

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcut Tab missing in Shortcut properties: I'm trying to enable cheats in Far Cry 2, so I made a shortcut and wanted to add the parameters in the shortcut tab in the properties. Problem is, there is no Shortcut tab. Only General, Web Document, Security, Details and Previous Versions. submitted by /u/TheIronSven...
  5. No icons available in a shortcut's properties window

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No icons available in a shortcut's properties window: Trying to change the icon of a shortcut I made. There are no icons available when I go to the Properties menu other than the blank paper one it already has. I remember there were hundreds last time I needed to do this, how do I actually change the icon? submitted by...
  6. how can preserve settings for paint app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can preserve settings for paint app: Hi, everytime i try to change same settings i do to paint like coloring text etc I have to do that with every image I open which is really frustrating and I don't know why Microsoft doesn't fix that I am talking about normal paint app not 3d paint because I haven't found...
  7. Windows 10 system settings language preserves old setting.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 system settings language preserves old setting.: Hi, I recently changed my laptop's language from Traditional Chinese to English (US). Everything is fine despite the System settings itself still in old language (Chinese). Has anyone confronted this situation so far? System information OS: Windows 10 Home Version:...
  8. Desktop Shortcut for Wi-Fi Properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Shortcut for Wi-Fi Properties: Windows 10 Pro 1903, OS Build: 18362.449 (shortly: .476) - Howdy Folks, I'm looking for the procedure to create a desktop shortcut for "Wi-Fi Properties" (attached). Thanks in advance to all who read this post and all who reply! *Cool 144580
  9. Preservation of "Date Created" property for mp4 files when copying

in Windows 10 Support
    Preservation of "Date Created" property for mp4 files when copying: It seems that copying some video files ( at least mp4 ), the "Date Created" property is not reliably preserved, especially to and from USB drives. About 10% of them would have the copy time time stamp instead of the original "Date Created" time stamp on the destination file,...
  10. preserving settings between build updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    preserving settings between build updates: It seems when updating online between builds, settings are lost, registry tweaks etc. Is there a workaround for this? 8674