Windows 10: Shortcut to Documents

Discus and support Shortcut to Documents in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I create a shortcut to my documents folder, or pin it to Quick Access or Start Menu, then the shortcut will take me to my Documents library, which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Suuper, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Suuper Win User

Shortcut to Documents

If I create a shortcut to my documents folder, or pin it to Quick Access or Start Menu, then the shortcut will take me to my Documents library, which is not what I want. (The annoyance comes from the fact that once there if I then decide to go somewhere that isn't in the library, I can't simply go up to the containing folder; I also cannot click the address bar to get the current folder path.)
    Is there a way to keep shortcuts to the documents folder (or pinned items) from taking me to libraries? Also is there a way to delete the default libraries completely? (I don't have any use for them.)

If disabling the libraries feature is the only way to do this then so be it, but I'd rather not as I might be able to actually use libraries. If that is the only way to do it, how would I disable the feature? I found this article which tells how do disable the feature in Windows 7, but I wasn't able to find anything for Windows 10. (Would the same .reg files work in Windows 10?)

:)

Suuper, Feb 17, 2016

2. Recent Upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1

Shortcuts you can re-create in the normal manner - Right-click on desktop>New>Shortcut.

Documents are gone unless you have a backup.

FTI do not store documents on the desktop. That's what your Documents folder is for. You can make a shortcut to a document on the desktop, but don't put the actual document there.

Gordon B-P, Feb 17, 2016
  3. Why is there no option to allow File Explorer to open to any location we'd like?

One way is to simply delete the Explorer shortcut and put a shortcut to Documents there instead. Now every time you click that shortcut, it will take you to Documents.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Feb 17, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Shortcut to Documents

Hello Suuper, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you wanted a shortcut of the Documents folder in your user folder, then you could use the path below to create the shortcut with.

%UserProfile%\Documents

Brink, Feb 17, 2016
  5. Ztruker Win User
    You can also navigate to C:\Users\yourusername or %UserProfile% in File Explorer then right click on Documents and drag to the Desktop. Release the mouse button and choose Create shortcuts here. Or right click on Documents and select Send to then Desktop.

Ztruker, Feb 18, 2016
  6. Suuper Win User
    All of those create a shortcut which, when opened, take me to my documents library. Even though the shortcut's target is a link to the folder, when file explorer opens up I'm at the library.

Suuper, Feb 18, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 18, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

Shortcut to Documents

Hmm, interesting. I just tried doing the Send to Desktop from C:\Users\rrkurtz\Documents and when I open it , this is where it takes me.

Shortcut to Documents [​IMG]

When I look at Properties of Documents there, it shows:

Shortcut to Documents [​IMG]

so it is really C:\Users\.................. as you said Shawn.

Ztruker, Feb 19, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yep, the folders in "This PC" are just links to the same folders in "C:\Users\(user-name)" by default. *Smile

Brink, Feb 19, 2016
  10. Suuper Win User
    Oh, so it isn't the library. My bad, I probably should have been able to see that myself.

That doesn't solve my problem, though.
    I want the folder path "C:/Users/[name]/Documents" to show up, instead of This PC->Documents.

I have also found that if I rename my documents folder to "docs", opening C:/Users/[name]/Documents still goes to the documents folder (C:/Users/[name]/docs), despite that the name is now different. And if I try to create a new folder named Documents, it says that a folder named docs already exists and asks if I want to merge. (I was trying to get around the problem by re-naming the folders and creating new ones.)

Suuper, Feb 19, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Supper,

Both locations are the same folder. The "This PC" location uses a symbolic link.

Brink, Feb 19, 2016
  12. Suuper Win User
    No duh. Please read this:

Suuper, Feb 19, 2016
  13. Shortcut to Documents

If you go to my PC
    Then scroll to Document folder
    Right Click you have 3 choices
    One Pin To Start
    Or Pin Quick Access
    Or Right Click
    Scroll to Send To
    Then click Desktop
    All Three does work as I have both my
    Documents and Pictures done that way

hTconeM9user, Feb 19, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 19, 2016
  15. Suuper Win User
    This link looked like it might be what I want: This PC 'Folders' - Add or Remove in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Unfortunately, it only hides the links. Using a shortcut to one of the folders still takes me to Thic PC -> [folder]

I found a way to get what I wanted, though. Through a combination of re-naming Documents, creating new folders, deleting Documents and re-naming the new folder to "Documents" I eventually got it. I'm not sure of the exact steps, but I had to delete "Documents" more than once to get it working.

Suuper, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Shortcut to Documents

1. Shortcut to Documents - Similar Threads - Shortcut Documents

2. Does there need to be a shortcut to OneDrive inside the Documents folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does there need to be a shortcut to OneDrive inside the Documents folder?: My Documents folder resides on OneDrive and locally on drive G: OneDrive. Why is there a shortcut to the OneDrive folder inside my Documents folder? Is this just some remaining debris after I removed OneDrive from my PC and then reloaded it everything is working fine now.....
  3. Does there need to be a shortcut to OneDrive inside the Documents folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does there need to be a shortcut to OneDrive inside the Documents folder?: My Documents folder resides on OneDrive and locally on drive G: OneDrive. Why is there a shortcut to the OneDrive folder inside my Documents folder? Is this just some remaining debris after I removed OneDrive from my PC and then reloaded it everything is working fine now.....
  4. Dropbox checkmark overlay icons hide the shortcut arrow overlay icon on folders and documents.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dropbox checkmark overlay icons hide the shortcut arrow overlay icon on folders and documents.: ISSUE:Dropbox checkmark overlay icons hide the shortcut arrow overlay icon on folders and documents. I use an enormous number of shortcuts in the filing system I have created for my work, and I constantly need to have Dropbox on coordinate with my staff. Sometimes I resort to...
  5. Dropbox checkmark overlay icons hide the shortcut arrow overlay icon on folders and documents.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dropbox checkmark overlay icons hide the shortcut arrow overlay icon on folders and documents.: ISSUE:Dropbox checkmark overlay icons hide the shortcut arrow overlay icon on folders and documents. I use an enormous number of shortcuts in the filing system I have created for my work, and I constantly need to have Dropbox on coordinate with my staff. Sometimes I resort to...
  6. Dropbox checkmark overlay icons hide the shortcut arrow overlay icon on folders and documents.

7. How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder?: I was trying to move my Documents folder over to my second hard drive, but it ended up just creating a OneDrive shortcut instead. It's still inside my C hard drive. I did desync/stop backup. I'd add a photo but there's an error occuring, sorry....
  8. How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder?: I was trying to move my Documents folder over to my second hard drive, but it ended up just creating a OneDrive shortcut instead. It's still inside my C hard drive. I did desync/stop backup. I'd add a photo but there's an error occuring, sorry....
  9. How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder?

10. Windows 11 - moving default folder locations - Documents shortcut won't update

Windows 11 - moving default folder locations - Documents shortcut won't update: I have a distributed configuration on my system, with OS on one SSD, files documents, video, etc. on another. This has served me well, especially when upgrading.So I recently built a new machine and added a new M.2 drive for Windows 11, keeping my SATA SSDs for files. After...