Windows 10: Shortcut to enable/disable network (wired)

Discus and support Shortcut to enable/disable network (wired) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Sorry if I missed it but it seems there is none posted under Shortcuts nor Internet & Network. I've tried searching for a solution but found no proper... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ifive, Mar 15, 2016.

1. ifive Win User

Shortcut to enable/disable network (wired)

Sorry if I missed it but it seems there is none posted under Shortcuts nor Internet & Network. I've tried searching for a solution but found no proper for Win10.
    There was at least one working in Win7 but it seems to have changed in Win10.
    I'm not looking for Wireless or Airplane just simple wired Ethernet LAN.

Thanks in advance

Solved by T0mmy1977

• Create a batch file to execute the command below:
    • netsh interface set interface name="Local Area Connection" admin=disabled
    • Subsitute the actual network connection name if it isn't "Local Area Connection".
    • Copy the batch file and change "disabled" to "enabled" for reactivation.
    • Use "Create shortcut" on both, right-click and set "Shortcut" > "Advanced..." > "Run as administrator".
    • Proper icons can be changed using "%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll" in "Shortcut" > "Change Icon...".
    • If you prefer white use "%SystemRoot%\system32\pnidui.dll" instead.

:)

ifive, Mar 15, 2016
  2. George_F Win User

Ethernet shortcut context-menu does not work

Thank you. Confirmed on both a Lenovo Ideapad 300-15ISK laptop and a custom desktop PC, occurs on both wired/wireless adapters.

I'm on the desktop now and discovered something interesting. If you keep the Network Connections window open, the problem does not appear and the desktop shortcut works.

If you close the Network Connections window, the shortcut stops working. You can toggle its status one more time and then it gets stuck. If you were left with an enabled adapter, you will get an "Enable" context-menu setting and you cannot disable it. If
    your adapter is disabled, you will have a "Disable" option.

Re-Open the Network Connections window, and the shortcut works again.

George_F, Mar 15, 2016
  3. Desktop shortcut issue of the network device

Hello, I'm Hrach Tumasyan and I'm owning last update of the Windows 10 Home SL.

I've noticed some issue regarding the desktop-shortcut of the Network device. So the issue is that the shortcut frequently doesn't correctly show the actual state of the Network Device, e.g. it is still enabled when that device is disabled or is disabled
    when it is enabled.

Hrach Tumasyan Max Pyger, Mar 15, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

The few times I've needed to do I right-clicked the Start button, clicked Device Manager, clicked the + on Network adapters and then right-clicked the adapter to Disable or Uninstall depending upon which I needed.

Berton, Mar 15, 2016
  5. Edwin New Member
    Navigate to your Network Connections page in Control Panel, right click on your adapter and create a short cut...

Shortcut to enable/disable network (wired) [​IMG]

paste that shortcut into a custom Quick Launch folder...

which will give you a small icon on your taskbar...

Edwin, Mar 15, 2016
  6. ifive Win User
    Thanks for fast replies.

I know the long way, that's why I've started with "Shortcut ...".

I've also tried the "Create Shortcut"-Version before by my own.
    First usage disables as expected.
    Second usage enables as expected.
    Don't ask me why any further usage during the same session tries to enable an enabled connection again and again instead of disabling it. Note that right click also offers only "Activate". And I've tried it just right now again, just in case I did something wrong by my own in the first place.
    That's the reason I'm asking for a real Shortcut - one click to disable/enable a wired Ethernet LAN, don't matter whether one or two shortcuts are necessary to fulfill the job.

ifive, Mar 16, 2016
  7. TairikuOkami, Mar 16, 2016
  8. ifive Win User

Thanks, I know there are some applications that can handle your connections. But that's another app that has to be running in the first place...
    As I've written, it was possible in Win7 and as far as I've read also in Win8(.1). I'm curious to know a solution in Win10.

ifive, Mar 16, 2016
  9. T0mmy1977 Win User
    I found the below Googling. You can create a batch file to execute the command below.

netsh interface set interface name="Local Area Connection" admin=disabled
    Subsitute the actual network connection name if it isn't Local Area Connection.

T0mmy1977, Mar 16, 2016
  10. ifive Win User
    Thanks. I've found it before, too. For some curious reason I did something wrong.

To finish the task:
    Copy the batch file and change "disabled" to "enabled" for reactivation.
    Use "Create shortcut" on both, right-click and set "Shortcut" > "Advanced..." > "Run as administrator".
    Proper icons can be changed using "%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll" in "Shortcut" > "Change Icon...". If you prefer white use "%SystemRoot%\system32\pnidui.dll" instead.

ifive, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Shortcut to enable/disable network (wired) - Similar Threads - Shortcut enable disable

2. [Suggestion] Quick way to enable/disable notifications/shortcut to enable/disable notifications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [Suggestion] Quick way to enable/disable notifications/shortcut to enable/disable notifications: Im currently working on W11 and have the following issue, no easy way to toggle notifications. It can be done through settings or through the focus assistant however as a user that uses his device in a professional way i haven't found an easy way to quickly toggle this during...
  3. [Suggestion] Quick way to enable/disable notifications/shortcut to enable/disable notifications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [Suggestion] Quick way to enable/disable notifications/shortcut to enable/disable notifications: Im currently working on W11 and have the following issue, no easy way to toggle notifications. It can be done through settings or through the focus assistant however as a user that uses his device in a professional way i haven't found an easy way to quickly toggle this during...
  4. Wired Network

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Wired Network: Centurylink4343 is connected to my IP Address When I log in so do they I see the link go up the side of my house To a house address that dose not exist ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/wired-network/555bb853-f7fb-4a7b-9565-1a1ae230beb2
  5. How to disable & enable a Device with a shortcut/macro?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable & enable a Device with a shortcut/macro?: Long story short, I regularly (multiple times daily) have to disable and re-enable my wi-fi adapter from the Device Manager. Is there a way to create a batch file or macro to be able to click one icon/shortcut to run these 10 or so clicks automatically? The closest I...
  6. Enabling network sharing with smbv1 disabled and smbv2 enabled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Enabling network sharing with smbv1 disabled and smbv2 enabled: We all know about how people at microsoft make smbv1 mandatory to share folder across a local network, which exposes us to ransomwares. people at Microsoft have no concerns for security, despite being in IT business for the last 30 years.... in windows 10 , like 1809, the...
  7. keyboard shortcut in windows for bluetooth to enable/disable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    keyboard shortcut in windows for bluetooth to enable/disable: can we create a keyboard shortcut in windows for bluetooth to enable/disable don't want to click action centre and click on bluetooth to enable and disable it, is there any possibility like we have a dedicated key for wifi in our laptop we can create a shortcut key to...
  8. Wired Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wired Network: Hi SOrry if this has been asked before but I want to delete my Network and start a fresh. Can't for the life of me find how to do this. Any help or tips? 38180
  9. Enable or Disable Mouse Keys Keyboard Shortcut in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Mouse Keys Keyboard Shortcut in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Mouse Keys Keyboard Shortcut in Windows [img] Information Mouse Keys lets you control the mouse pointer by using the numeric keypad on your keyboard. The keyboard shortcut to turn on and off Mouse Keys is to press the left Alt + left Shift +...
  10. Enable or Disable Network Adapters in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Network Adapters in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Network Adapters in Windows How to Enable or Disable Network Adapters in Windows A network adapter is a computer hardware component that connects a computer to a computer network known as a network connection. This tutorial will show you...