Windows 10: Shortcut won't add to right side (with parameters)!

Discus and support Shortcut won't add to right side (with parameters)! in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi I've found that I can't add a shortcut to the area on the right of the Start menu, designed for adding apps, if it has parameters. e.g.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by pt007786, Oct 3, 2015.

1. pt007786 Win User

Shortcut won't add to right side (with parameters)!

Hi

I've found that I can't add a shortcut to the area on the right of the Start menu, designed for adding apps, if it has parameters. e.g. "...\xxxxx.exe" /p

I need to add a parameter for this app to run correctly. I added the parameter to the shortcut in the usual way by opening the shortcut properties and editing the Target address.

When I open the shortcut, the app opens using the parameters. I can also pin the app to the task bar and it opens correctly. However when I choose to pin to the Start, nothing happens. There is no error message, but nothing appears in the start menu. I can add the shortcut to the start menu without the parameter and that works. But no way to put a shortcut with a parameter on the start menu.

Can anyone suggest a workaround? If not I'll keep it on my task bar.

:)

pt007786, Oct 3, 2015
  2. dfs1122 Win User

How to pin shortcut to start menu.

There is an interesting quirk with shortcuts containing '/'s (forward slashes) on the Start Menu. I was trying to add a VLC* shortcut with command line parameters. The shortcut would show on the Start Menu when there were two slashes in a row (//), but
    not if there were three (///). The solution is to quote any command line parameters.

* VLC requires three slashes for a device name. E.g., dvd:///R:/ -> "dvd:///R:/"

dfs1122, Oct 3, 2015
  3. ConzoB Win User
    Windows 10 Send to Desktop as Shortcut is missing

According to this page (

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-8/create-keyboard-shortcuts-to-open-apps) you can only add shortcuts for apps
    that run on windows desktop. Any of the apps installed from the Windows Store (some of which come pre-installed, like MS Edge, or Twitter) you can't Send to desktop.

These apps seem to be initialised by passing a shell argument to explorer.exe. If you can find out what the shell parameter should be for a given app, only way I've found to create a shortcut is manually by right-clicking the desktop, go to New... select
    shortcut, and paste in the path to explorer.exe followed by the shell parameter. For example, to add a shortcut to MS Edge, it would be "C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge". Whilst this works, you lose
    the nice shiny icon. If you're really enthusiastic, you can download an ico version of the icon from the interwebs, right-click the shortcut, go to Properties, then Shortcut tab, and change icon to the downloaded one.

Very annoying though. Such an important thing to be able to do, and should be simple, guess that's just what happens when you're trying to update a relic OS to be like the all-singing all-dancing money generating app store-y wonderfulness that is OSX, instead
    of going back to the drawing board... you end up forcing a square peg into a round hole!

ConzoB, Oct 3, 2015
Thema:

Shortcut won't add to right side (with parameters)!

1. Shortcut won't add to right side (with parameters)! - Similar Threads - Shortcut won't add

2. Add shortcut to taskbar that includes parameters, I want to start a particular Access...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add shortcut to taskbar that includes parameters, I want to start a particular Access...: HiI have had this working in the past & just cannot remember how I did it, I know it was quite easy & just a fairly simple process with only a few steps.Just upgrade my MB and had to reinstall windows.The shortcut I have on the desktop is .."C:\Users\JohnDoe\Documents\Access...
  3. Add shortcut to taskbar that includes parameters, I want to start a particular Access...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add shortcut to taskbar that includes parameters, I want to start a particular Access...: HiI have had this working in the past & just cannot remember how I did it, I know it was quite easy & just a fairly simple process with only a few steps.Just upgrade my MB and had to reinstall windows.The shortcut I have on the desktop is .."C:\Users\JohnDoe\Documents\Access...
  4. Add shortcut to taskbar that includes parameters, I want to start a particular Access...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Original Macrium Reflect shortcut: parameters?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Original Macrium Reflect shortcut: parameters?: The first MR shortcuts I set up triggered a pop-up panel with a timer, an OK button, and a cancel button in it, and told me what MR was about to do. Unfortunately, there was a "Don't show this again" box on it, and I clicked it a while back. Now I'm thinking I'd like to get...
  6. Right Side Task bar shortcuts to be keep in Down

Right Side Task bar shortcuts to be keep in Down: Is there any way to show my windows logo & shortcuts in down ? and date and time in the down show in the top.?? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-side-task-bar-shortcuts-to-be-keep-in-down/d749a4be-d01a-474b-9532-44be19d43375
  7. Right side of screen

Right side of screen: So when i load My games from windows 10 . Then i click the right side of the screen it brings me back to windows. It also not just one game its all of them. Ive been trying to work out if theres some boarder system that i need to turn off. Can anyone help me workout where I’m...
  8. not printin right side

not printin right side: Dear All My OS windows 10 Prof Printer is using Epson LQ310 driver is original for lq310 custom form is created width is 8.27 in and hight is 3.66 in but while printing only on right side two no digit missing not printing for example 2019 only xx19 this 19 is missing...
  9. Right-Click Run With Parameters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right-Click Run With Parameters: Hello. Does anyone have any recommendations for a simple 64-bit compatible Windows program that, when you right-click an exe, bat, msi etc. file, that pops up a menu allowing you to run the file with parameters or arguments? NirExt does this task but the program has not been...
  10. Add shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Add shortcut: How do you create a shortcut on the desktop. Example, you have a website you use often, how do you create a shortcut on the desktop. Win 7 and 8 you could right click the mouse on the page in question and had the option to add a shortcut on the desktop. 5616