Windows 10: Shortcut won't launch iTunes. Can launch from .exe

Discus and support Shortcut won't launch iTunes. Can launch from .exe in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; The "target" and "start in" settings are identical: C:\Program Files\iTunes.exe. The "open file location" button goes to the correct folder and file.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Kupuna, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Kupuna Win User

Shortcut won't launch iTunes. Can launch from .exe

The "target" and "start in" settings are identical: C:\Program Files\iTunes.exe. The "open file location" button goes to the correct folder and file.
    Each time I click the shortcut a new instance of iTunes appears in Task Manager, but nothing appears on the screen. If I go to the program folder, I can launch iTunes directly by clicking iTunes.exe. It appears on the screen and runs correctly.
    Is there something in the Registry that might be messing up this transaction? Something else?

:)

Kupuna, Feb 15, 2017
  2. RayTitus Win User

Streets & Trips 2013 won't start from the Windows 10 Start Menu

Thanks for the suggestions. Responses:

1. Yes, I meant the .exe file.

2. I had already tried removing the shortcut and Pinning a new one. That didn't change the results.

3. Just tried this (and a few other options) with the following results. After copying the .exe file to the desktop, I can launch from there. Selecting (from the installed directory) "pin to taskbar", works and I can launch from there. Using

the copied .exe file on the desktop and selecting "Pin to Start", the shortcut on the Start menu works. It just doesn't work from the install directory.

RayTitus, Feb 15, 2017
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    ERROR

Also- Have you tried launching directly from the games .exe in the games install folder ?

If the game launches, create a new shortcut (R/click on the games .exe and select
    Send To > Desktop).

(btw - using all caps is yelling.)

BossDweeb, Feb 15, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

Start minimized isn't selected? Does it show after, if you click on it?

Shortcut won't launch iTunes. Can launch from  .exe [​IMG]

AndreTen, Feb 17, 2017
  5. Kupuna Win User
    I changed to "Start Maximized", but no change in result. Thanks for the idea!

Kupuna, Feb 17, 2017
  6. AndreTen Win User
    I found an old thread in apple forum. It basically says:

First you have to check if it runs in other account. If you don't have one, make it.

One more thing... try running shortcut as administrator.

AndreTen, Feb 17, 2017
  7. mrgeek Win User
    " If I go to the program folder, I can launch iTunes directly by clicking iTunes.exe. It appears on the screen and runs correctly."

Have you tried to r-click the working exe in Programs folder, then 'Send to/Desktop (create shorcut)' ? Replace the non-working one, if you already have one on desktop. If this one works, you can pin to taskbar for quick launch or pin to Start from r-click.

mrgeek, Feb 17, 2017
  8. Kupuna Win User

None of your promising suggestions has worked so far. I think I'll go tackle the Apple techs and see if they have ideas. Sincere thanks for your contributions.

Kupuna, Feb 17, 2017
  9. Kupuna Win User
    By "repairing" iTunes in the Apps section of Win10 I have reached a point where I can start iTunes but only by clicking the Run as Administrator choice in the shortcut. I get a brief "Do you want this program to make changes to the computer" and then iTunes runs normally.
    I'm hoping one of you, so helpful before, might have insight on this situation. Thanks.

Kupuna, Feb 18, 2017
  10. AndreTen Win User
    How did you repair iTunes in Apps section? Can you run it now from start (or under apps - right click - add to taskbar).

It has something to do with ownership or permissions, because the start location of shortcut is under Program files and permissions should be applied by install time.
    Have you checked that section of "Remove iTunes Preference files" in link provided? in that forum are users with far more knowledge about ITunes than here.

AndreTen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Shortcut won't launch iTunes. Can launch from .exe - Similar Threads - Shortcut won't launch

2. Unable to launch .exe from an app, whereas manually it can be launched.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to launch .exe from an app, whereas manually it can be launched.: Hi, I have created a software which on click launches an exe named as ConfiguratorLite.exeIf I try launching notepad or other exe, it works fine but for configuratorLite, it shows error as attached image...
  3. Unable to launch .exe from an app, whereas manually it can be launched.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to launch .exe from an app, whereas manually it can be launched.: Hi, I have created a software which on click launches an exe named as ConfiguratorLite.exeIf I try launching notepad or other exe, it works fine but for configuratorLite, it shows error as attached image...
  4. Unable to launch .exe from an app, whereas manually it can be launched.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. itunes is not launched in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    itunes is not launched in Windows 10: I installed itunes from this website HTML Code: https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/p/itunes/9pb2mz1zmb1s?cid=appledotcom&rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab[/quote] Unfortunately It does not launch once installed. It is the first time I lauch an application from the Windows store....
  6. Itunes installation/launch issue

Itunes installation/launch issue: Hi, I have a new laptop on Windows 10 and am trying to install itunes from the store. When it does install (which having tried to uninstall and reinstall) without an error, the app will not launch. I have tried opening it in safe mode or opening as administrator and...
  7. Unable to launch iTunes?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to launch iTunes?: I already have iTunes downloaded through the Microsoft store, but when I try to launch I get this message: https://imgur.com/a/CYcPhDO Can I take off this family parental block, or at least see what address the email is being sent to?...
  8. iTunes won't launch

iTunes won't launch: I downloaded iTunes to my Windows 10 PC, but it won't launch. What do I do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_music/itunes-wont-launch/4d6ca670-c1e1-483c-a1de-8a7f30e76ed8
  9. Sound problem when launching from .exe

Sound problem when launching from .exe: I have a problem with this program (a game), which for some off reason, does not launch with sound enabled. However, when I launch it through another program such as GeForce experience, or Raptr, the sound works one time and then refuses to work again after launching for a...
  10. Not able to launch certain .exe files with created .bat shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Not able to launch certain .exe files with created .bat shortcuts: Hello, To be able to use custom tiles on the Start Menu, I make .bat files of .exe files to use them as shortcuts to launch the .exe files. I make the .bat file by opening Notepad, pasting the directory path of the .exe file in quotes, and then save it as a .bat file. This...