Windows 10: Should "Defragment and Optimize Drives" be running for an SSD?

Discus and support Should "Defragment and Optimize Drives" be running for an SSD? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I just noticed this today. I have a Samsung 960 EVO with Win 10 pro installed. I was monitoring something else with the Task Manager when I noticed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by pjc123, Aug 18, 2018.

1. pjc123 Win User

Should "Defragment and Optimize Drives" be running for an SSD?

I just noticed this today. I have a Samsung 960 EVO with Win 10 pro installed. I was monitoring something else with the Task Manager when I noticed that the optimize operation was running (Under the Task Manager it is listed as Service Host: Disk Defragmenter: Optimize drives). So I checked out Control panel > Administrative Tools > Defragment and Optimize Drives and saw that it was indeed in the process of optimizing the drive. Am i correct in assuming optimizing means defragmenting? The C: Drive is recognized as an SSD and "Scheduled Optimization" is turned OFF. Knowing that it is bad to unnecessarily defragment an SSD due to wear levels, I was surprised to see it running. Shouldn't Windows be smart enough to not be doing this?

:)

pjc123, Aug 18, 2018

2. defrag and optimize drives

When I go to defrag & optimize drives one of the drives that is listed as "needs optimization" (12% fragmented) is listed as //?/Volume(a27a9b76-0000-0000-0000-40d6e5000000)/ Can I or should I ignore this?

GaryEdelstein, Aug 18, 2018
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Defragment and Optimize Drives Problem

Hi Edward,

Based on the details you have provided, your C drive was unrecognized by the system. We suggest that you run these
    commands and see if there are any changes:

• Open
      Command Prompt
      as
      Administrator.

• Run
      the following commands:

• To fix any logical file errors:

• Chkdsk C: /f /r

• To defrag your Drive C manually:

• Defrag C: /D /U

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Aug 18, 2018
  4. JonGrimes Win User

External SATA3 SSD to USB (512GB Crucial MX100 SSD) showing up as a Hard drive in Windows 10 Defragment and optimize drives?

Hi Anup,

Thanks for your suggestions. I ran the Hardware and Devices trouble shooter and it did find a problem with my

Bluetooth adapter (despite the fact that I've never used it and have no Bluetooth devices). I reinstalled and/or

fixed all three ASUS G751JY notebook Windows 10 drivers successfully. However, the external 512GB Crucial MX100

SATA3 to USB3.0 SSD remains listed as hard disc drive on Windows 10 Defragment and Optimize drives feature.

I also tried your second suggestion and ran the DISM using Command Prompt (Admin.).

It returned a Windows 10 latest build 100% system image health. The external 512GB Crucial MX100 SATA3 to USB3.0

SSD still comes up as a hard disc drive in Defragment and Optimize drives Windows 10, Control Panel feature.

JonGrimes, Aug 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Should "Defragment and Optimize Drives" be running for an SSD? - Similar Threads - Should Defragment Optimize

2. Should I disable Defragment & optimize drives in Windows 10 with a NVMe SSD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Should I disable Defragment & optimize drives in Windows 10 with a NVMe SSD?: As the title says, my question is, should I disable the Defragment and Optimize drives? I have a NVME SSD and by default this feature in turned on in Windows 10. So is it recommended? Or should I disable it?...
  3. Should I disable Defragment & optimize drives in Windows 10 with a NVMe SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I disable Defragment & optimize drives in Windows 10 with a NVMe SSD?: As the title says, my question is, should I disable the Defragment and Optimize drives? I have a NVME SSD and by default this feature in turned on in Windows 10. So is it recommended? Or should I disable it?...
  4. Should I disable Defragment & optimize drives in Windows 10 with a NVMe SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Optimize and Defragment Drives

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Optimize and Defragment Drives: Doing a little system upkeep, like Disc Cleanup, but when I do the Optimize and Defragment Drives, Iobit Advanced system care comes up and does the scan. Is that OK, or should I Exit it, and have the regular scan go?...
  6. Should I defragment on SSD drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should I defragment on SSD drive: Will defragmenting shorten ssd service life? Should I do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-defragment-on-ssd-drive/a42de2e2-2b7c-40af-98ae-a3ba3f0ef83b
  7. Defragment & Optimize Drives Reports "Never run"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defragment & Optimize Drives Reports "Never run": Since upgrading to Windows 10 2004, I have encountered an issue with the tool Defragment & Optimize Drives. First of all, let me state that I have a SSD and realize that defragmentation is not needed. However, I find it odd that the tool reports "Never run" and "Needs...
  8. Defragment & Optimize Drives Reports "Never run"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragment & Optimize Drives Reports "Never run": Since upgrading to Windows 10 2004, I have encountered an issue with the tool Defragment & Optimize Drives. First of all, let me state that I have a SSD and realize that defragmentation is not needed. However, I find it odd that the tool reports "Never run" and "Needs...
  9. SSD optimize and defrag

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD optimize and defrag: There is a place to set optimize and defrag on or off and to schedule if you wish. However, I have read that Windows does this itself in its own way. So should I turn mine off or leave it set to a month? 130044
  10. Should SSD's be defragmented

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should SSD's be defragmented: Here's a question that hasn't been asked before I'm sure. Should an SSD be defragmented. Seriously, I know there are a multitude of opinions on this but was wondering what the experts on this forum would suggest. 52802

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shoud a ssd drive be optimized or defragmented

2. manuallly optimize ssd drive with win 10 good bad ?

3. can you run defrag on ssd drive

4. should drive optimization be enabled on ssd drives,
  5. should ssd drives be defragmented,
  6. should i turn on or off for defrag for ssd drives,
  7. drives optimize not running,
  8. should i optimize ssd drives,
  9. defragment ssd drive,
  10. defragment and optimize ssd,
  11. ssd with windows should be optimized,
  12. should ssd be optimised,
  13. can you run optimize on an ssd,
  14. should is run optimize and defrag on SSD drive