Windows 10: Should I back up files and documents

Discus and support Should I back up files and documents in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Before installing windows 10 should I back up and or save my libraries, documents, pictures etc. and all the downloaded programs and files I currently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by peterb65, Aug 1, 2015.

1. peterb65 Win User

Should I back up files and documents

Before installing windows 10 should I back up and or save my libraries, documents, pictures etc. and all the downloaded programs and files I currently use?

:)

peterb65, Aug 1, 2015

2. Will I need to back up my documents and files etc. before installing Windows 10?

Will upgrading from Windows 7 or later preserve my personal files, applications and settings?

Yes, upgrading from Windows 7 or a later version will preserve your personal files, applications and settings.

Backup your computer:

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

Also review:

How to: 10 Tips before
    installing the latest Windows 10 build

How to: 10 things
    to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

Once you have installed these important updates and followed the prerequisite instructions, you should be ready to receive your
    free update to Windows 10 this summer.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Will I need to back up my documents and files etc. before installing Windows 10?

* Original Title: Windows 10

Will I need to back up my documents and files etc. before installing Windows 10? Please send your reply to
    L: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.

HeidiUtley, Aug 1, 2015
  4. ant1 Win User

Yes, ALWAYS backup your data (personal data, program settings, passwords, bookmarks, etc.) before doing a "big" upgrade like this.

ant1, Aug 1, 2015
  5. peterb65 Win User
    @ant1, Thanks for your prompt reply and advice

peterb65, Aug 1, 2015
  6. peterb65 Win User
    I have tried to back up but I keep on getting the error message "The system cannot find the file specified. (0x8007002)"
    What does this mean and how can I rectify it so I can perform a back up?
    Help would be gratefully received

peterb65, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I back up files and documents - Similar Threads - Should files documents

2. Backing up documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backing up documents: Hello guys! My computer crashed a month ago, and our IT saved my documents and transferred it into new computer, that created Z disc for my bakcuped files. I didnt know what it was, our IT said that its safe to use it and to save new documents there. Now, after 1 month of...
  3. Backing up documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backing up documents: Hello guys! My computer crashed a month ago, and our IT saved my documents and transferred it into new computer, that created Z disc for my bakcuped files. I didnt know what it was, our IT said that its safe to use it and to save new documents there. Now, after 1 month of...
  4. Backing up documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. OneDrive is not backing up the Desktop and Document

OneDrive is not backing up the Desktop and Document: I just fresh installed Windows 11 Pro and did not login to my Microsoft account at first. I used a local account instead. After first boot and installing some drivers from windows update, I switched from local account to Microsoft account. Then I couldn't find the "Important...
  6. WLI file in documents - Should I delete it?

WLI file in documents - Should I delete it?: Imgur: The magic of the InternetI don't remember downloading this file but it seems to be from a while ago, it was even in my documents for some reason instead of downloads.Does anyone know why this might have appeared? I scanned it for viruses with Malwarebytes and it says...
  7. WLI file in documents - Should I delete it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WLI file in documents - Should I delete it?: Imgur: The magic of the InternetI don't remember downloading this file but it seems to be from a while ago, it was even in my documents for some reason instead of downloads.Does anyone know why this might have appeared? I scanned it for viruses with Malwarebytes and it says...
  8. WLI file in documents - Should I delete it?

9. Why doesn't file history back up "My Documents"?

Why doesn't file history back up "My Documents"?: I turned on file history and waited for it to do it's first round of backups. It worked for many files, but when I look at the status of My Documents, it says "Libraries that are encrypted with Encrypting File System, on a network location, or on a drive that doesn't use the...
  10. Should I take back up of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Should I take back up of Windows 10: Hi, I am using Lenovo laptop which I brought during 2013-14 it came with Windows 8.1 preloaded, when I bought I took a backup [Recovery Drive] of the same in a Pen Drive as suggested by Windows 8.1. Later in 2015 I was upgraded to Windows 10 since then I am using Windows...