Windows 10: Should I buy a GTX 970 second hand, or a brand new RX 480?

Discus and support Should I buy a GTX 970 second hand, or a brand new RX 480? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; So, someone is selling a second hand, 5 month old GTX 970 4GB for £150. Should I get this or spend £210 on a brand new RX 480 8GB. I know that the 970... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by TPigPog, Apr 6, 2017.

1. TPigPog Win User

Should I buy a GTX 970 second hand, or a brand new RX 480?

So, someone is selling a second hand, 5 month old GTX 970 4GB for £150. Should I get this or spend £210 on a brand new RX 480 8GB. I know that the 970 only really has 3.5GB of VRAM and the other 500mb is slower VRAM. I also know that AMD are good with their driver updates and the RX 480 will only get faster than the GTX 970 than it already is with age.

Which one?

:)

TPigPog, Apr 6, 2017
  2. ka05com Win User

N97 N86 Second Hand or Brand New Contract?

Looking at the threads I see the lens covers scratching both phones putting me off getting a Second Hand one, I can deal with some bugs and firmware upgades. but I hate scratches across lens covers and keypads!, is it all due to pocket dust? my old N95-1
    for 3years is fine,apart from the rubbish battery cover and slow camera boot n shoot time.

Guess i'll sign upto a Vodafone contract.. would apreciate any thoughts on this. thanks

ka05com, Apr 6, 2017
  3. Ghamil Win User
    Windows 10 - second monitor intermentant problems

Running Windows 10 Pro-64bit. I have a Gigabyte GTX 970 video card(4gb). Both monitors are connected with a HDMI to DisplayPort cable (HDMI on the monitor to the DisplayPort on the video card). The main monitor works fine. However, the second monitor
    will just randomly lose signal and go blank. I can usually just power the monitor off/on and it gets detected again. Here is something strange I have noticed...Displaying the monitor properties I see this:

Monitor #1: E2360 on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 via HDMI

Monitor #2: E2360 on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 via DVI.

Both monitors are exactly the same and connected the exact same way...and both are plugged into the Display ports on the GTX 970....no DVI cable/connections.

Also, when I go into display settings and click on "Detect" monitor it will cause the second monitor to go blank every time. If I click on "Detect"
    again it find the monitor and it come back on.

I have no idea where to go with this...this is a brand new Windows 10 install. I have updated the NVIDIA GTX 970 drivers. Not sure if this is a windows problem or a NVIDIA problem? Any clues where to start with this...it is very frustrating to have to
    turn the monitor off/on all the time to keep it connected.

Thanks

Glenn

Ghamil, Apr 6, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

The price difference between new and used would make a big impact on any decision I would make. I would also consider the trustworthiness of the used source as well. Also, a peek at a few benchmarks wouldn't hurt either:

Should I buy a GTX 970 second hand, or a brand new RX 480? [​IMG]

Should I buy a GTX 970 second hand, or a brand new RX 480? [​IMG]

Now, since I actually prefer AMD graphics' solutions, this would be a no-brainer for me.

Good luck with any decision you make.

Regards,

5. Well, I'm an Nvidia man these days but I would be very cautious about a second hand card.

indianacarnie, Apr 6, 2017
  6. The RX 480 is future proof. The GTX 970 barely matches the RX 480 in DX 12 and Vulkan API games.

RoasterMen, Apr 6, 2017
  7. bobkn Win User
    Speaking as someone whose most recent AMD purchase was a 7970 (all nVidia since then), get the RX-480.

I suppose that you could consider 4GB version of the RX-480 if you wished to save something like £40, but you'd get lower performance even for applications that didn't need 8GB of VRAM, I believe.

In the current nVidia lineup, a GTX 1060 would be competitive in performance with the RX-480, but the 1060 might be a bit more expensive, with only 6GB of VRAM.

bobkn, Apr 6, 2017
  8. felgate11 Win User

I would rather Buy AMD Radeon cards than Nvidia ones. I prefer Radeon than Nvidia bro.

felgate11, Apr 6, 2017
  9. If your looking at the rx480, i would wait til the 580 is released probably this month

Devlin1888, Apr 6, 2017
  10. TPigPog Win User
    Thanks for everyone's input... I think i'll save up for the RX 480 8GB or the new Vega GPU lineup. Afterall, AMD cards do age like a fine wine. Coming from experience, my R9 270X has only performed better and better since buying it in 2014.

TPigPog, Apr 6, 2017
  11. bobkn Win User
    AMD's drivers used to be rather quirky, but I haven't tried them in a while. (I see that the 7970, my latest, was introduced 5 years ago.)

AMD seems to be on a bit of a roll at the moment, but I suspect that people who are prepared to pay are still getting Intel and nVidia. I'd like to see AMD get back to being the clear performance leader (like the Athlon X64 CPUs, back in the Socket 939 days), but I'm not holding my breath waiting for that.

bobkn, Apr 7, 2017
  12. I am the other way around, but i think we should compare thar cards instead of discussing if we like apples or grapes the most?

Take a look here ect : GeForce GTX 970 vs Radeon RX 480 Hardware Compare: Graphics Cards, CPU & SSD Comparison
    But since one of the cards is 4GB and the other is 8GB i might be more tempted with the 8GB one.
    Do you know that guy that sells the secon hand card? if not, then i would be carefull, if you do and you know that hes stuff is ok, it might be worth considering *Smile

jimkromann, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I buy a GTX 970 second hand, or a brand new RX 480? - Similar Threads - Should buy GTX

2. Which Brand Ram Should i buy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which Brand Ram Should i buy: Hiii please help me which brand should I buy to run fifa 18 n 19 smoothly without lag and stuttering issues... and if I add 4 GB Additional ram is fine right??? wont there be problem please help me someone My Dell Inspiron 15-3576 Laptop Specs are as follows 1. Windows...
  3. Rx 480 fps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rx 480 fps: Hey! Kinda new to the gaming world (well with pc, have been using a ps3 for a while). Just bought a 2nd hand pc with a Sapphire RX 480 8GB graphics card. After looking at many reviews it's suggested that the RX 480 comes just under the GTX 1060. I hope it will do a good job...
  4. GTX 970 hardware or drivers causing BSOD?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    GTX 970 hardware or drivers causing BSOD?: Hello - here is my situation: Approx 1 week ago I upgraded from a GTX 770 (had absolutely NO issues, infact I cant remember the last time I saw a BSOD with this PC) Upgraded to a R9 390X card, and sold my 770. Within a day, I started to get random reboots, crashes,...
  5. Server 2016 RX-480, new GPU Recommendation request

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Server 2016 RX-480, new GPU Recommendation request: That's what I did. I purchased VMware Workstation and put Server 2016 in a VM..... THANK YOU! Dave
  6. What should I do with a second hand SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What should I do with a second hand SSD?: I have bought a second hand 250 GB Samsung 840 Pro from ebay. Is there anything specific I should do apart from format it? I'm planning to put it in a Thinkpad X201 (which I also just got from ebay) but lots of people here talk about the Samsung Magicain software. I've...
  7. AMD equivalent to my nVidia GTX 970

AMD equivalent to my nVidia GTX 970: Hello fellow TenForums users. Since the release of W10 AU [1607] build I am pretty scared to upgrade drivers for my GTX 970. In fact, I am running an older release because latest ones don't work fine for me. I am not that impressed with DirectCompute, DX12 and Vulkan...
  8. Asus strix 970 gtx fan?

Asus strix 970 gtx fan?: Hi again. When I got my Asus strix 970 gtx on desktop the fan wouldn't spin but as soon as I started a game it would. At this point I didn't even have GPU tweak installed and would sound like it would go to 100% as soon as I opened up a game. After some time this stopped...
  9. Miracast - Not Supported By Graphics Driver? GTX 970

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Miracast - Not Supported By Graphics Driver? GTX 970: According to information gathered by numerous Google searches, NVidia GTX 970 & 980 cards should support Miracast, but when I do a diagnostic report it says my Graphics Driver is not supported. My PC can find the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter on my LG tv, and the tv...
  10. Brand new laptop not performing as it should.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Brand new laptop not performing as it should.: Hello. I just got myself a brand new (2 weeks ago) MSI GP72VR 6RF gaming laptop. And i was full of hope and thoughts on games i could play with high/maxed settings with good fps, but there has been nothing but a disappointment. From games like CSGO, Diablo 3 and even...