Windows 10: Should I change back to Windows 7 based on my requirements/dislikes??

Discus and support Should I change back to Windows 7 based on my requirements/dislikes?? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, my laptop is 5years old now, but is a very high performance one (Alienware m15x). I've upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, however I hate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Spanish89x, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Should I change back to Windows 7 based on my requirements/dislikes??

Hello, my laptop is 5years old now, but is a very high performance one (Alienware m15x).

I've upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, however I hate the layout for much of it.

I only use the 1511.086 build.
    I tried the 1607 build but the layout is just disgusting and unusable for me,
    so I've had to disable the updater service to stop it forcing an upgrade to newer builds.

I'm happy with the 1511 build,
    however I use ie11 only not edge browser, deleted all those live-tile bars on start menu, use an old synaptics touchpad driver, deleted cortana.

I only use my laptop for watching videos online, writing emails, creating presentations, twitter... Ect
    So my main requirement is for highest video graphics quality, internet speed and performance speed, and compatibility with all websites even that have live-streaming flash... etc

I upgraded to Windows 10 cos I thought it'd be faster at processing, would have higher quality graphics, and would run all websites faster.
    Plus I worried that in 2-3years Windows 7 would become very slow.

However what will be better for my requirements, going back to Windows 7 or staying on Windows 10 build 1511??

:)

Spanish89x, Dec 13, 2017

2. Upgraded to Windows 10, but do not remember Windows 7 password

Hi

I upgraded to Windows 10 recently from Windows 7. I was using finger print scanning to login into my Windows 7 account. I also had setup a word based password, but with a password hint. When I upgraded to Windows 10, I can login using my fingerprint, however
    some of the setup requires word based password. However, there is no password hint available from Windows 7 and I cannot remember my password at all.

• Fingerprint account access, does not allow me to change my old password
    • Word based account access does not allow me to see/check the password hint that I had setup for Windows 7

narasinhaparasnis, Dec 13, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Dec 13, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Should I change back to Windows 7 based on my requirements/dislikes??

Answer is neither. 1511 is no longer supported and is a security risk. Windows 7 will stop support in time.

The layout is much more optional with latest versions.

cereberus, Dec 13, 2017
  5. I'm not worried about security risks by lack of Microsoft updates tbh.

As I've got Avast antivirus on my laptop which prevents malware and viruses,
    so that is sufficient for me tbh.

Spanish89x, Dec 13, 2017
  6. Personally, i like to embrace change / the future, sticking with Windows 7 (or even XP for that matter) is ultimately going to see you running a very out of date OS without some potentially serious security enhancements / updates.

Getting used to new interfaces is generally something that comes with a little time and not fighting it, embrace and learn it where required.

While AV is certainly a must have, it's not a catch all and will still leave major security holes without Firewall and fully updated/patched OS, Browsers etc.

Should I change back to Windows 7 based on my requirements/dislikes?? [​IMG]

JDobbsy1987, Dec 13, 2017
  7. Barman58 Win User
    As time goes on then the hardware suppliers will stop supporting Windows 7 so you would need to be careful if you intend keeping the laptop you have longer than the start of 2020 when win7 reaches end of life, but until then with a decent set of anti malware systems (one is never a good idea as no protection system is 100% effective), you should be fine with Win7.

Your next hardware will come with Windows 10 so eventually you will need to learn the new better OS , but when "Eventually" happens is still your choice

Barman58, Dec 13, 2017
  8. LMiller7 Win User

Products such as Avast antivirus do not keep you safe. They only help to do this. Malware authors work hard to evade the protection of AV products and often succeed. AV suppliers like Avira are well aware of the limitations of their products but for obvious reasons this isn't often mentioned.

When XP went out of support a few years ago several AV suppliers emphasized that the ability of their products to provide protection was limited on unsupported operating systems. All AV suppliers know this. There is no reason to believe it will be different with Windows 7.

When an operating system is no longer supported this serves as a signal to third party software suppliers that they consider doing so as well. Some will do so early on, in some cases even before the OS goes out of support. If the OS remains popular other suppliers will delay this, but only for a time. Unlike most applications AV products must interact with the OS at a very low level and it becomes a burden for developers to support older systems. Eventually all will drop support. When the AV supplier drops support you would need to use an older version that still works and it would no longer receive updates.

Just as predators target victims that are least able to resist them, malware authors will target operating systems that are the most vulnerable. If Windows 7 remains popular you can be sure it will be at the top of their lists. Even when supported older systems such as Windows 7 have vulnerabilities not present in Windows 10.

LMiller7, Dec 13, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    The recent wannacry attack amply demonstrates this. The attacks hit Windows 7 users mostly. Windows 10 users on latest version at time (1603 iirc) were immune. People on 1507/1511 only got immunised if they had not blocked security updates.

cereberus, Dec 13, 2017
  10. I also have a five year old laptop but I am running Win10 on it, in "desktop" mode -- and the layout is very similar to Win7.

I also removed all the Tiles (as I do NOT have a touch screen and thus, have no use for them), I also disabled Edge and Cortana, as I use IE instead and have no use for Cortana. But ... I do prefer to have improved protection from running Win10.

I do not know what about the layout you find "disgusting", and yes, MS moved things around a lot with Settings, but with any of the Start Menu products, you can get back the old Device Manager, Control Panel, and other functions. So, at the end of the day, functionally, it is not a lot different in look and feel from Win7.

Eventually, your PC will die and you will have to then use Win10 when you purchase a new PC -- but until then, use what works for you and what you are comfortable using.

Mark Phelps, Dec 13, 2017
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    nothing wrong with using W7 while it's in support -- you could take a punt and say by the time W7 is "Killed off" W10 will have improved a lot more.

I have a feeling that like XP W7 will get "extended support" as there are still loads of BIG organisations still on W7 but that's a risk assessment only you can make.

Even running legacy OS'es on VM's ( Virtual Machines) won't be a permanent solution -- some laptops / computers no longer have USB 2 ports but only USB 3 - and if you can't connect a USB 2 device to these then your XP VM etc will be no good for attaching USB 2 devices. !!

The other solution is (shouldn't really say this on a Windows Forum !!) is to run some version of Linux as Host and run your Windows systems as VM's -- a lot of programs that people run on Windows are available in Linux - Ms Office though is still STREETS AHEAD of anything else offered by any other OS I've seen.

Compared though to W10 W7's response seems to run at Glacial speed -- I loved it when W7 first came out but I have to say W10 is streets better - just remove all those silly tiles -- Ms are only just learning from the W8 fiasco -- decent desktop computers and servers ARE NOT MOBILE PHONES so the idea of a "One size fits all" interface was totally stupid to start with and is even more silly now.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 13, 2017
  12. My understanding is Microsoft does extend support to big organizations but they have to pay extra for that added support.

From post #9

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 13, 2017
  13. Barman58 Win User

Apart from the mentioned general extension of XP support all others that I have seen have been a chargeable add-on for Corporate accounts (mostly VL customers and Embedded devices).

The corporate client can then perform the upgrade to suit their needs ( technical and fiscal )

Barman58, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I change back to Windows 7 based on my requirements/dislikes?? - Similar Threads - Should change based

2. Dislike Windows 11 - Taskbar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dislike Windows 11 - Taskbar?: This is the worst upgrade version!!!!! I'm curious if anyone can share how to click on the taskbar to open up anything that is already open but hidden? I minimize my windows i.e. chrome, email, word document while working on another item. Then try to select something as done...
  3. Dislike Windows 11 - Taskbar?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dislike Windows 11 - Taskbar?: This is the worst upgrade version!!!!! I'm curious if anyone can share how to click on the taskbar to open up anything that is already open but hidden? I minimize my windows i.e. chrome, email, word document while working on another item. Then try to select something as done...
  4. Should I turn on Reputation based protection?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I turn on Reputation based protection?: Hello, So I was on my laptop watching YouTube and I saw that security needed action so I went to there and there was Reputation based protection which I don’t know what that is and I don’t know if I should turn it on or not?...
  5. Should I turn on Reputation based protection?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I turn on Reputation based protection?: Hello, So I was on my laptop watching YouTube and I saw that security needed action so I went to there and there was Reputation based protection which I don’t know what that is and I don’t know if I should turn it on or not?...
  6. Windows 11 - Likes & Dislikes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Likes & Dislikes: Windows 11 - Likes & DislikesComment your Likes & Dislikes about Windows 11! My Likes: - Rounded Corners - Taskbar in Middle - Widgets My Dislikes: - Takes up too much storage - User Account ControlComment your Dislikes and Likes about Windows 11!...
  7. I want my Windows 7 back

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I want my Windows 7 back: [ATTACH] tired of this shit submitted by /u/artamba [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hjmxxx/i_want_my_windows_7_back/
  8. Windows Server vNext LTSC base Requirements changes to Security

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Server vNext LTSC base Requirements changes to Security: In the next Long-Term Servicing Channel release of Windows Server [aka ‘vNext’], the base level Compatibility Requirements for system-level certification for Windows Server will be changed to include: UEFI 2.3.1c or later support If the Windows...
  9. Change from Windows 10 back to Windows 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Change from Windows 10 back to Windows 7: I have recently purchased a new computer from Dell and Windows 10 was already installed in the machine and of course I was unable tlo restore Windows 7. My question is as I have in my possession a fully legitimate installation disk for Windows 7 would I be able to install it...
  10. Too many Windows 10 problems, should I go back to Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Support
    Too many Windows 10 problems, should I go back to Windows 7?: Version 1703 was forced on my laptop. 1709 has been trying to install itself since January, without success. That's fine with me because I don't want it. My understanding is that there is no way to disable Windows Update after 1703. So when 1709 tries to install, I simply...