Windows 10: Should i delete every partition?????

Discus and support Should i delete every partition????? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Deleting partitions and installing Windows to the unallocated space allows Windows to set up the partitions that it wants and the filesystems that it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by aris003, Aug 10, 2017.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Should i delete every partition?????

Deleting partitions and installing Windows to the unallocated space allows Windows to set up the partitions that it wants and the filesystems that it wants. This is preferred so that you don't end up with your boot files somewhere unexpected and it will prevent update problems in the future if you end up with some weird partitioning scheme because you did not Windows set things up.

Formatting leaves the existing partitions in place. One of the big disadvantages to this is that Windows is likely to create a new recovery partition, and since you did not delete the old recovery partition, your going to end up with multiple recovery partitions and probably only one that is actually in use. And as stated above, you may have problems with future major updates if the partitioning is not as expected by Windows.

If you want a data partition, we recommend that it be at the end of the drive. Then when you do a clean install, you delete all partitions in front of the data partition you want to keep, select that unallocated space and click Next to let Windows set up the system partitions in that space. The only little hurdle to overcome is that if you have Windows already set up, you have to shrink the Windows partition by the amount that you want to assign to the data partition, then there might be a recovery partition in the way at the end of the drive that you might have to move to start at the end of the OS partition, then create your data partition at the end. But that is all easy to do with MiniTool Partition Wizard.

NavyLCDR, Aug 10, 2017
  2. aris003 Win User

I have already installed windows 10 on my pc.I just want to reinstall it because there are a lot of errors that i cant fix. Is there anything different that i will have to do because it is already installed????

aris003, Aug 11, 2017
  3. NavyLCDR New Member
    No, nothing different.

NavyLCDR, Aug 11, 2017
  4. aris003 Win User

You said that i must shrink something.I would also like to know.Should i delete everything until unallocated space shows up?

aris003, Aug 11, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    After a clean install of Windows by deleting all the existing partitions, if you want to create a data partition, you will need to shrink the OS partition (C: drive) to make room for it.

NavyLCDR, Aug 11, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    I find it advantageous to have computer connected to internet by wire while doing clean install because it can find an eventual missing driver at that time. Setup attempts to check for updates even if it wasn't connected to internet and may spend even longer time looking for it.. Using WiFi connection is less certain to check for drivers because it's drivers may not be loaded at boot time and also may require a password to connect to router and that can't be done until full OS installation.
    My most usual routine for clean install of windows (and other OSs like LInux) is to backup anything that wasn't already backed up from whole disk, BOOT from OS installation disk/USB and delete all partitions at that time, let OS make partitions it needs and leave it plugged in with live internet connection until the finish. Only exception to that rule is in case of very large disk when all can't be backed up or when installing a dual BOOT system.

CountMike, Aug 11, 2017
  7. aris003 Win User
    I still dont get it....What do u mean. A partition like the 200gb that i have? and why should i make room for it.I dont get it

aris003, Aug 11, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

If you store data in same partition as OS, it makes backups and reset/reinstalls of Windows harder.

Also image backups grow over time. You can optimise backups eg OS monthly, and data daily according to your usage pattern.

cereberus, Aug 11, 2017
  9. aris003 Win User
    Is it going to be different than what i have now????If i want to i can delete every partition until unallocated space shows up?and then press next?

aris003, Aug 11, 2017
  10. CountMike New Member
    Yes if you don't have anything to keep on whole disk. Windows will make partitions to suit your system. If you wish to partition further, you can do that later on.

CountMike, Aug 11, 2017
  11. aris003 Win User
    Hey thanks a lot.i downloaded windows onn my stick..but there is a new hard drive called e esd.even when the usb isnt connected.iam afraid..i am restarting the pc

aris003, Aug 11, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    You might feel more comfortable if you invited a friend who's familiar with this sort of thing to help you.

dalchina, Aug 11, 2017
  13. CountMike New Member

That's probably your USB stick. Just BOOT of it and start installation as planed.

CountMike, Aug 11, 2017
  14. aris003 Win User
    Now its gone.idk why but it was there even when it was unplugged ..anyways thanks and i will inform you on how the installation goes.and i want to do a final question.will a uefi option appear and if does should boot from it
    ?my bios mode is legacy

aris003, Aug 11, 2017
  15. CountMike New Member
    If that BIOS has UEFI option than you should set it first so it can make UEFI partition. If it doesn't than your only option is Legacy mode.

CountMike, Aug 11, 2017
Thema:

1. Should i delete every partition????? - Similar Threads - Should delete every

2. Should I Merge this Unallocated Partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I Merge this Unallocated Partition?: Hi, i just want to ask something here and let the picture tell everything.PartisiSo should i merge them my harddisk ? is there any problem if i merge them that allocated D to the unallocated one?...
  3. Should I Merge this Unallocated Partition?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should I Merge this Unallocated Partition?: Hi, i just want to ask something here and let the picture tell everything.PartisiSo should i merge them my harddisk ? is there any problem if i merge them that allocated D to the unallocated one?...
  4. Should I Merge this Unallocated Partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Reinstall Windows for corupted files. Should delete files or delete partitions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Windows for corupted files. Should delete files or delete partitions.: So i have gotten many errors, tried many options but havent fixed it. a Microsoft recomended me to backup files and do clean installation of Windows since i probably have corupted files. Should i delete files on drives or should i delete partitions? 1 process faster which is...
  6. Reinstall Windows for corupted files. Should delete files or delete partitions.

Reinstall Windows for corupted files. Should delete files or delete partitions.: So i have gotten many errors, tried many options but havent fixed it. a Microsoft recomended me to backup files and do clean installation of Windows since i probably have corupted files. Should i delete files on drives or should i delete partitions? 1 process faster which is...
  7. Reinstall Windows for corupted files. Should delete files or delete partitions.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. which one of "EFI System Partition" and "Healthy Recovery partition" should I delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    which one of "EFI System Partition" and "Healthy Recovery partition" should I delete: I recently deleted windows 10 that was installed in my HDD and I installed windows 11 on my SSD and if you look at the screenshot, the 122 GB deleted volume is where my windows 10 was installed and now I'm confused that should I delete "EFI System Partition" and "Healthy...
  9. which one of "EFI System Partition" and "Healthy Recovery partition" should I delete

which one of "EFI System Partition" and "Healthy Recovery partition" should I delete: I recently deleted windows 10 that was installed in my HDD and I installed windows 11 on my SSD and if you look at the screenshot, the 122 GB deleted volume is where my windows 10 was installed and now I'm confused that should I delete "EFI System Partition" and "Healthy...
  10. Should I delete this EFI Partition?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I delete this EFI Partition?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/not_sahil [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lkgptx/should_i_delete_this_efi_partition/