Windows 10: Should I disable my modem firewall when I have a router?

Discus and support Should I disable my modem firewall when I have a router? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a modem, and a netgear nighthawk R7000 router. I do not use the modem for wireless, as I have a router. Does my modem's firewall need to be on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mike6623, Sep 17, 2016.

1. mike6623 Win User

Should I disable my modem firewall when I have a router?

I have a modem, and a netgear nighthawk R7000 router. I do not use the modem for wireless, as I have a router. Does my modem's firewall need to be on or does the router take care of that? And, is windows firewalll not good enough?

:)

mike6623, Sep 17, 2016

2. Cannot connect to Microsoft with Nokia Lumia 520

I forgot to mention that I recently upgraded my Motorola SURFboard modem to a Comcast Xfinity modem by ARRIS. It has a built in router & wifi antenna.

Could this new Xfinity modem/router/wifi antenna combo be the issue???

If so, I have no idea on how to remedy it if it's a firewall issue. I've disabled the firewall but still have issues.

Castle_Romeo, Sep 17, 2016
  3. Nokia N70 - PC Suite 6.70.22 connectivity problem

I would suggest uninstalling PC Suite, disconnceting from the Internet, disable Norton and any other antivirus and firewall software, install PC Suite again and get your phone connected. Once it;s working, re-enable your security software again before
    going back online.

Yes, in phone and modem options you should get an entry indicating either Nokia or Bluetooth modem... or however you are connecting.

In Device Manager you should have an entry for wireless communication devices and you should also have an entry under modems...

Your other phone suites could also be causing conflicts... I would suggest starting off with having only 1 installed at a time... then when you get that working, you could try adding another and see if they both work ok when installed together.

mobile_maniac, Sep 17, 2016
  4. linw Win User

NEVER NEVER turn off the modem firewall. The Internet teems with probes looking for non-firewalled modems.

5. bro67 Win User
    Your gateway uses IPTables. It needs to stay enabled. You are fine to not enable your firewall on your Operating Systems, while being behind your home gateway.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I disable my modem firewall when I have a router? - Similar Threads - Should disable modem

2. Use modem/router combo as router only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Use modem/router combo as router only: I purchased an Arris SURFboard SBG6700-AC (modem/wifi combo) several years ago. I moved to another city with a different ISP. The cable guy could not get this to communicate with his cable system. There is an 80-year-old woman (neighbor) who has internet but no wifi. I bought...
  3. Connect a NBN modem to a ADSL modem router

Connect a NBN modem to a ADSL modem router: I am thinking of converting to NBN service in Australia. However, my setup at the moment is single box ADSL modem with a switching router, which I connect my equipment to its LAN ports. With the new NBN standalone modem, how do I connect to the existing switch router...
  4. How many sound drivers should I have and which should I disable?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How many sound drivers should I have and which should I disable?: Recently, my friends on discord have been hearing themselves and my PC audio during calls. When I open up sound devices in control panel, it lists my headset as speakers and believe that this is why the problem is happening (Not sure though please help). I went to device...
  5. Cable Modem/router + Personal router

Cable Modem/router + Personal router: My cable company provides a box that is a modem & router. I also use my own router attached to the cable modem. I have done nothing to the cable box except attach a cable from my router to it. Do I need to "Bridge" the cable router or can I use the WiFi from it along with the...
  6. Should I Replace My Router

Should I Replace My Router: Hi I am looking for advice regarding our router, not that there is anything wrong with it, far from it. No, what I am after is advice as to whether I should replace it for an up-to-date router. I have not had any security updates since about 2013 and also have reason to...
  7. How long should I expect my router to last?

How long should I expect my router to last?: I know it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question but what is a realistic router lifespan? I've had my netgear router for about 5 years now ... and I love it, it's so reliable, the dual band wifi is very decent, the firmware is rock solid, it never needs...
  8. Nightly reset for modem and router.

Nightly reset for modem and router.: Is it ok to do nightly resets on my router and modem? Im making "network closet" which will hold my Nighthawk x6 and surfboard modem. I never thought about resetting them on a nightly basic tell now. this way i can flush them fresh every morning. or is this pointless? 89858
  9. Can I use my router without modem?

Can I use my router without modem?: As the title, earlier I can use my router without my modem, but now I can't use it anymore. When I turn on my router, It said that there is "Unidentified Network" Can anybody solve this, or I should use my modem again. Because my router is not connected to internet. I just...
  10. Should I disable Superfetch?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I disable Superfetch?: I know it loads programs to the RAM so they can open faster and actually It doesn't really bother me but I just want to ask - Does it really improve performance that much? My system runs pretty fast, considering its age, and I'm just wondering, will there be a significant...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn off windows firewall with modem firewall on

2. should i disable modem firewall