Windows 10: Should I enable hyperthreading?

Discus and support Should I enable hyperthreading? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello all, I am seeking some advice / instruction. While looking things over on Speccy, I noticed that hyperthreading is not enabled on my system.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by thepapa, Nov 27, 2015.

1. thepapa Win User

Should I enable hyperthreading?

Hello all, I am seeking some advice / instruction. While looking things over on Speccy, I noticed that hyperthreading is not enabled on my system. Should I enable it, and what would be the benefits. Also, if I do enable, how would I go about it. I will try to post a screen shot from Speccy to show what I have.

Should I enable hyperthreading? [​IMG]

:)

thepapa, Nov 27, 2015

2. Should I enable secure boot?

Yes, you can turn it on if you want, it should not even be disabled by default, since its an essential component to your Windows 10 boot signature and integrity safe.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 27, 2015
  3. adhdluke Win User
    Should I enable secure boot?

I just bought a new gaming PC from iBuyPower. I went into the UEFI to turn off turbo boost as I was getting high CPU temps, and say that secure boot was disabled by default. Is it safe to turn on now that Windows is already installed? Also, should I enable
    the Intel trusted platform module?

adhdluke, Nov 27, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Whether or not to enable it is up to you. Hyperthreading is a sort of pseudo-multi-processing that allows a CPU core to do the work of two cores in some circumstances.

The benefit is that it can help your system be a little more responsive, but perhaps at the cost of intensive CPU performance results. Your system may perform slightly worse when HT is enabled (or it might be better, it depends on your work load).

If you're not using your CPU heavily, then it will probably not make much difference either way.

Mystere, Nov 27, 2015
  5. thepapa Win User
    Thank you Mystere for your reply and explanation of hyperthreading. I am always looking for ways to make my system more responsive and smoother, although I am not a heavy power user. I wasn't sure if hyperthreading would benefit me or not. I went through settings / recovery / advanced startup into what I assume was bios, but saw no way to enable hyperthreading. I will do some more research to see if I can figure it out.

thepapa, Nov 27, 2015
  6. glhs958 Win User
    glhs958, Nov 27, 2015
  7. Berton Win User
    But check the footnote about its Hyper-Threading Technology on that page:
    Looks to me like a conversation with the OEM/Brand of the machine is in order. I only post that as I've seen it before, granted not very often, maybe 4 or 5 times in several years.

Berton, Nov 27, 2015
  8. thepapa Win User

Thank you glhs958 and Berton for the replies. I looked at the link provided. Hyperthreading may not be allowed on this system, which would explain why I can't find it in the Bios. My system is certainly not a high end system, but regardless, am always looking for ways to get the most out of what I have. Actually, compared to numerous Windows 10 machines i have seen running, this system runs very well, and better than some. I have the members here to thank for that, as I have applied many of the tips - tweaks that I have found while researching things here on the Forums. You just gotta love this place !! Anyway, I think I will mark this thread as solved, since even if hyperthreading could be enabled, it would may not be of much benefit to me anyway. I might do a little more research about it, but don't believe it's a huge thing. Thank you for your time and knowledge everyone........

thepapa, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I enable hyperthreading? - Similar Threads - Should enable hyperthreading

2. Should I enable this feature?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I enable this feature?: Should I enable this feature? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-enable-this-feature/16ca2b6c-196a-40a7-a531-83cda9639083
  3. Should I enable this feature?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I enable this feature?: Should I enable this feature? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-enable-this-feature/16ca2b6c-196a-40a7-a531-83cda9639083
  4. Can hyperthreading be enabled with Memory Integrity enabled?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can hyperthreading be enabled with Memory Integrity enabled?: Can hyperthreading be enabled on personal laptops with Memory Integrity enabled in Windows 11 Pro 22H2? When hyperthreading is enabled, an event log entry showed mitigations not enabled for virtual machines. One of the personal laptops that is much older does not seem to have...
  5. Can hyperthreading be enabled with Memory Integrity enabled?

Can hyperthreading be enabled with Memory Integrity enabled?: Can hyperthreading be enabled on personal laptops with Memory Integrity enabled in Windows 11 Pro 22H2? When hyperthreading is enabled, an event log entry showed mitigations not enabled for virtual machines. One of the personal laptops that is much older does not seem to have...
  6. SQL Server License for 4 core VM with hyperthreading enabled?

SQL Server License for 4 core VM with hyperthreading enabled?: Hi All,If I have a VM with 4 cores. Hyper-threading is enabled on the VM so total 8 logical cores. So if I have to license it, Should I buy 4 core license or 8 core license. Kindly help on this.ThanksMr. D fin...
  7. Should I enable bitlocker or not

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should I enable bitlocker or not: So I wanted to enable BitLocker but people like my uncle who has experience with computers and other people think it's a bad ideabut I'm the type of guy who would want to protect my computer. So I need help if I should enable BitLocker or not....
  8. Should I enable IPV6 ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I enable IPV6 ?: From a fresh install. (1 hour old) Due to a bug, I had to disable IPV6 on my laptop. (MS Store could not download/update apps, error 0x80D02017) Is it important to have IPV6 enabled, should I enable it again? submitted by /u/Reidah [link] [comments]...
  9. Enable or Disable Hyperthreading for Security / Performance?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Enable or Disable Hyperthreading for Security / Performance?: I've installed the latest microcode updates for the i7-4500U CPU on my laptop - KB4497165 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1903 - June 18 The referenced article (ADV190013 | Microsoft Guidance to mitigate Microarchitectural Data Sampling vulnerabilities) states To be...
  10. Can't boot Win10 with hyperthreading enabled (dual Xeon)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't boot Win10 with hyperthreading enabled (dual Xeon): Hi, for a while now I have been unable to enable my hyperthreading and start windows 10 . When Hyperthreading is enabled in BIOS, it loads up to the point where the windows logo appears, then loads a couple seconds more, then reboots... in a loop up to the point where you...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should i enable hyperthreading