Windows 10: Should i get windows 10? These are some questions i have.

Discus and support Should i get windows 10? These are some questions i have. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; There was this bit of hesitation... Do I really want to get windows 10? The layout is pretty, the start menu is ugly but that can be fixed with Classic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by L3G1TN00BZ, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Should i get windows 10? These are some questions i have.

There was this bit of hesitation... Do I really want to get windows 10? The layout is pretty, the start menu is ugly but that can be fixed with Classic Shell. My questions are based on this article

1. Are there going to be ads that appear in file explorer and the desktop/lock screen?
    2. Is it faster and/or better than windows 7?
    3. How much privacy do I have?

:)

L3G1TN00BZ, Feb 17, 2018
  2. nj7_ Win User

I have these questions regarding Nokia N73

1. No. Is not a flash, but light assist auto-focus;

2. E:\Data;

3. Is like that.

3. I have these questions regarding Nokia N73

1. I set the flash to be off when i want to take a picture but when i click on the button to take a picture and just before i take the picture the flash will be on , is there is a setting where i can completely turn the flash off.

2.i receive a .PDF file as a message through the Bluetooth , and when i open the file to save it to my memory card , a list of different folder is shown to me (data, sound clips,....) i select the data folder but i am not able to find where is this folder located.

3.if i receive a sound clip or a ring tone as a message i am not able to save it to my memory card unless i open it ,is there a way to save the message without opening it , because some times i do not want to play the song before saving it to my memory card.

thanks in advance

mazen_blue, Feb 17, 2018
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Should i get windows 10? These are some questions i have.

First, the article you link to is a year and a half old. It may have been pertinent at the time, but there have been many, many changes since then.

1. No ads in Explorer or desktop that I'm aware of. Store Apps can hound you with app purchases. Some say MS trying to get you to upgrade Office an the like constitute "Ads", but there are no advertisements popping up all over Windows as in the traditional sense.

2. It is faster and much more secure than Windows 7. Better? That is, and will continue to be, a subjective question. All depends on what you are using it for, what appeals to you, and what you find obnoxious. There are millions of installations, therefore millions of opinions.

3. Privacy depends a lot on your computing and web habits. There are settings to limit what telemetry is allowed, and getting stricter in new builds to come. Again, this is a bit subjective.

Not an all-inclusive response, I know. It is a deep question, with tons and tons of opinions. Do more research on your own and look around this forum for other takes on the subject.

I personally like, and have stayed with Windows 10. Others swear by 7. Some 8. Some even XP. And, yes, some Linux or Mac.

Not sure there is just one answer.

*Smile TC

f14tomcat, Feb 17, 2018
  5. cereberus Win User
    To me, the most compelling thing about Windows 10 is it is being developed, and new features appear. Other versions are stagnant.

I remember when Windows first came out - hardly anyone used it preferring to remain with DOS. It was not really until Windows 95 (and to lesser degree 3.1) came out, that Windows started to take over the world. Let's not forget Apple GUIs predate Windows 1.0 by a couple of years, and Windows 95 by 12 years! Until 95, Apples ruled supreme in the GUI market.

Things have changed now. Apple is now looking long in the tooth, and Windows 10 is looking much more the future for near future. Similarly 7/8.1 are long in the tooth now.

cereberus, Feb 17, 2018
  6. Helmut Win User
    1. No
    2. Who cares, no measurable difference, you use Applications, not Windows.
    3. Depends on your settings.
    1. and 3. Depend on your settings in Windows all versions not just Windows 10.

Like it or not Windows 10 is the latest iteration, but remember you use Applications not Windows which is just there on which your applications sit.
    I just organise the Start Menu to suit me, no need for Classic Shell.
    I see no point whatsoever in that article, most is out of date, and misleading. "Powerful arguments" are just trivia.
    Windows OSs that are at least 6 years old are history, much like Windows 1.01, DOS etc.

Helmut, Feb 17, 2018
  7. roy111 Win User
    Hi, I have win 10 pro 1709, it's better than win 10 home IMO:

1 there are some suggestions that i consider adds *but* disabling cortana you can get rid of them, in my experience I managed to disable all of them, ATM, with reasonable effort (i.e. without third party apps/registry hacks), for the future we'll see, win 10 is a rolling release there often are changes.

2. It's more focused towards cloud computing, like you can save your data online and access them from different pc, not faster, different with more features.

3. I don't know.

HTH.

roy111, Feb 17, 2018
  8. Should i get windows 10? These are some questions i have.

1. Yes. Each upgrade adds more and more, but they can be disabled, mostly (currently about 12 settings).

2. No. Even XP is better. Stuttering is pretty common, even on high-end hardware. Hardware or software can stop working with the next upgrade without a notice and it is released twice a year. Not to mention, that any update can break it down as well. It is highly unreliable. But you might get lucky with the right configuration..

3. None. With some tweaks and privacy tools, you can disable up to 90% of telemetry and that is that.

Then again, if you are a gamer, you have no choice, DX12 and the latest drivers are for 10 only.

TairikuOkami, Feb 17, 2018
  9. Berton Win User
    An observation: the End-of-Life for Operating Systems dictates no more support from the producers of the OS which in turn means no further support for programs that will run on the OS, programmers will not spend resources in updating old programs and even hardware. It tends to lend credence to the term "planned obsolescence" but is not totally accurate, just convenient to use. And if programmers can't rely on backup support from Microsoft they won't go out on a limb, can't blame them for that. I don't have a running Win7 having Upgraded to Win10 [can get one up in a couple of hours] but do still have a WinXP usable with hardware that doesn't work on newer computers.

Berton, Feb 17, 2018
  10. strollin Win User
    Why is the Start Menu so important to many people? I rarely use it since there are multiple other ways to access my applications. I only use it to access my least used applications.

strollin, Feb 17, 2018
  11. Berton Win User
    A basic understanding of humans is that we are creatures of habit, like doing things in familiar ways, criticizing them for that is counter-productive. A big change was with Win8 and its all-tiles feature, think Microsoft went too fully to touchscreen use instead of easing into it which with the 8.1 update tried to appease older users. Win10 does a good job. But then the phrase "to each his own" plays a large part in using things.

Berton, Feb 17, 2018
  12. Wynona Win User
    In looking at your system specs to gauge if your computer is adequate for Windows 10, I note that you've listed Windows 10 Pro as your operating system. I also noted that you were having problems with Windows 10 in July 2017;

Critical_Process_Died BSOD windows 10 Solved - Windows 10 Forums

So I'm wondering if you possibly rolled back to your former OS and failed to change your system specs. If so, you may want to update them a little more fully. That's what the gurus look at when you ask for help.

And now to your questions:

Since the article you link to is more than a year and a half old, it's of no true value in today's computing world. The 2017 Creators Update and the Fall Creators Update have been released since that article was written.

1. Are there going to be ads that appear in file explorer and the desktop/lock screen?
    To my knowledge, there has never been any indication that ads will appear in Windows 10, nor do I believe they ever will. They wouldn't be very effective anyway, since when working within Windows 10, you're generally working with a program/app and not the underlying OS itself.

Although I've seen ads in free apps and programs I've never seen them in a retail app/program. Thus, it only makes sense that ads will never appear in Windows 10 since it is a retail product. Therefore, I cannot see any ads on the horizon. A little redundant, but should be said. As far as the "free" upgrade to Windows 10 in 2014/2015 (for the life of the device), Windows 7 and Windows 8.x were "bought and paid for", so technically, so was the upgrade to Windows 10. IOW, you had to have bought one of the underlying OSes in order to get Windows 10.

I will say that the closest thing I've found to ads is in the Start Menu; there are some commercial type apps (Spotify comes to mind) that if you click on them, they refuse to stay off your taskbar. They're easily uninstalled, though; right click and click uninstall. Also, there's a link to buy Microsoft Office (which I already have); however, once again, it's easily gotten rid of.

2. Is it faster and/or better than windows 7?
    Yes, from the beginning in 2014, Windows 10 was faster than Windows 7; that's one of the reasons I became an Insider. Windows 10 is better and has more features than Windows 7 and 8.x. As an Insider, I sometimes come out battered and bruised, but there are those here who can work through most of the bugs and help with workarounds. My Fall Creators Update computer just whizzes right along as it should with no problems. Sorry, but I can no longer see how I withstood the slowness of the Windows 7 boot process! I work with and teach senior citizens at a Senior Center on Windows 7 computers, so I have current knowledge about their lack of speed. *Sad

3. How much privacy do I have?
    You have the same privacy you had before. It's up to you to keep your security measures up-to-date, such as a reliable AV, anti-spyware, anti adware, etc. Further, you should make sure your browser has add-ons that will help to keep you safe. Also, even if you have only one computer, a router with a hardware firewall is advised, if not essential.

Wynona, Feb 17, 2018
  13. swarfega Win User

At the time I loved 7 but I agree with the above, 10 performs better and is overall easier to use.

In terms of "spying" I believe they only track things like how you used your computer, what apps you used and for how long and may be your IP but no personal information. If you're worried there are software to counter that such as Shutup10 but I don't personally use that. As long as your not breaking the law, you don't need to worry.

swarfega, Feb 17, 2018
  14. kado897 Win User
    I run both Win 7 and Win 10. I have configured Win 10 to work much like I did on Win 7. Classic Shell (no longer under development), Rocket Dock, QTTabBar and Free Launch Bar. W10 is faster but that is undoubtedly the hardware. As mentioned earlier you can tie down the privacy a lot in the later builds. I would go with Win 10 because it is more secure and still being developed.

kado897, Feb 17, 2018
  15. Hi,
    10 Home is not worth beans
    10 Pro is a little better in that one can limit things a little more than Home version.

Is 10 better than 7 well if 7 is not broken by MS updates yet no probably not *Smile
    I love the way people say 7 is long in the tooth and going nowhere or dated lol
    If it's not broken don't fix it *Tongue

Either way 10 pro is the only version worth looking at and see for yourself 1709 is no better and might be a little worse than creator updates most or at least I long for the creators update lol *Biggrin

ThrashZone, Feb 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Should i get windows 10? These are some questions i have. - Similar Threads - Should are questions

2. I reset Windows 11 and I have some problems and questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I reset Windows 11 and I have some problems and questions: So I reset a windows 11 computer. Isn’t a full factory reset supposed to wipe everything out and is like it was when it was new? It’s been a long time since I worked on a computer and never a newer version of windows, the last Windows I worked on was 7 and it was like new...
  3. I reset Windows 11 and I have some problems and questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I reset Windows 11 and I have some problems and questions: So I reset a windows 11 computer. Isn’t a full factory reset supposed to wipe everything out and is like it was when it was new? It’s been a long time since I worked on a computer and never a newer version of windows, the last Windows I worked on was 7 and it was like new...
  4. I have some questions regarding Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have some questions regarding Windows 10.: Hello everybody!! First question: What is a recovery drive? And how is it different from a USB Flash drive/Bootable USB/ used to reinstall Windows on my PC and what is my recovery drive going to do?Second question: Will my OEM files and the files that came up with my PC when...
  5. I have some questions regarding Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have some questions regarding Windows 10.: Hello everybody!! First question: What is a recovery drive? And how is it different from a USB Flash drive/Bootable USB/ used to reinstall Windows on my PC and what is my recovery drive going to do?Second question: Will my OEM files and the files that came up with my PC when...
  6. I have some questions

in Windows 10 Customization
    I have some questions: Not a problem with any apps on my pc or my phone but I would like to ask you some questions, some might be off-topic but before I begin, suppose you made QnA video on Facebook or YouTube, remind me when it's time. Okay, let's begin with: 1 How are the projects going ? I...
  7. I have some questions about Windows 10..

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have some questions about Windows 10..: Right now i'm using Windows 10 for about 3 years.. Iknow how to make it Faster and reduce lagg and speed it up but i want to know if there is more to do than just Disabling/deleting the inbuilt-apps and crap but i didn't disabled The telemetry because it will mess things...
  8. Want to get access to Windows 10 LTSC - Have some questions.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Want to get access to Windows 10 LTSC - Have some questions.: I want a debloated version of Windows 10, and from what I've heard, LTSC is the way to go. But, I just had one question. If there is an odd case where I do need the windows store for some odd reason, is there any way that I can install the windows store if even just...
  9. I have some questions about microsoft edge

in Browsers and Email
    I have some questions about microsoft edge: 1) Can you get the avast online security add on? 2) How do you add favorites to the favorites bar? I set a site as a favorite and it didn't get added to the favorites bar 3) Why does it freeze so often? The first time I opened edge I went to tap on a tab and nothing would...
  10. I just upgraded to windows 10 and I have some questions

in Windows 10 Support
    I just upgraded to windows 10 and I have some questions: 1) Does 10 check for check for updates automatically? if so, how do I turn that option off? 2) Earlier I checked for updates and it automatically started installing as soon as it was done checking, is there a way to select which updates to install? 3) How much does the...