Windows 10: should I reinstall build 10074

Discus and support should I reinstall build 10074 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; All was working well with build 10074, then for some reason, I lost the start screen, Cortana and the ability to personalize the display. I can right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by killinchy, May 15, 2015.

1. killinchy Win User

should I reinstall build 10074

All was working well with build 10074, then for some reason, I lost the start screen, Cortana and the ability to personalize the display. I can right click the start icon (greyed out) and I can click on the 'search' option , but nothing happens. Dare I reinstall 10074, or should I just wait for the next update?

Here's a second problem I've always had with Win 10. If my mouse leaves an open window for even a nano second, the window minimizes. With Win 7 as long I moved the mouse quickly between open windows, the window I was leaving stayed - I got a second of grace. But not with win 10, and I don't like it.

:)

killinchy, May 15, 2015

2. Windows 10 Activation - after clean install from Tech preview build 10074

I was part of the windows Insider program. I had installed Windows 10 Tech preview on my Dell XPS laptop that had previously had Windows 8.1 installed on it. The product key for the windows 8 installation was part of the UEFI settings (ie installed on
    the motherboard).

I had the Windows Tech preview build 10074 installed on my PC. For some reason it was corrupted and was not able to be upgraded past build 10074. I attempted to roll back to Windows 8 but had no success as I did not have the correct install media and the rollback
    option was not working.

I ended up installing a fresh version of Windows 10, it seemed like my only option to get past the preview build 10074. Now I am being prompted for a product key for Windows 10 even though it should be a free upgrade from Windows 8.1. Given the tech preview
    build 10074 did not let me use the normal upgrade path, how do I get my product activated ?

I have contacted 2 different Microsoft Helpdesk staff and they have been of no help. They tell me that I need to purchase a product key. I am only in this position due to the corrupted 10074 build that prevented me form using the normal upgrade path. I am not
    so keen on spending $300 on a product key.

KevKennedy, May 15, 2015
  3. After resetting Windows 10 preview, I no longer have any available internet connections!!!

It happened on Build 10074.

AldionLynaru II, May 15, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

It could be a good idea.. if you decide to do that I would do a clean instillation from the ISO.
    And yes... I would do it.

BunnyJ, May 15, 2015
  5. Williams Win User
    A clean install always solves many problems. I agree with Bunny.

Williams, May 15, 2015
  6. killinchy Win User
    Bunny

I did reinstall using the iso file. Alas, I still have no start or search. On the other hand, I do have the two Korean folders. back.

Wow. I just checked before I sent this. 'right click start, click search' Nothing. So I clicked 'task view' and up it came. I clicked on 10forums, the screen flashed a few times and up came 'start' and cortana. Miracle??

Thank you

John

killinchy, May 17, 2015
  7. Wynona Win User
    No, John, not a miracle. Just a dingblasted computer messing with your mind! *Smile

Wynona, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. should I reinstall build 10074 - Similar Threads - should reinstall build

2. Build 10074 Wallpaper

in Windows 10 Customization
    Build 10074 Wallpaper: Hi Guys Looking to see if anyone can pass on the wallpaper from Build 10074 Gallery: Windows 10 Insider Preview build 10074 Been searching for it, but unfortunately cannot locate it at all. Thanks for your help. 12136
  3. IE11 Not working in Build 10074

in Browsers and Email
    IE11 Not working in Build 10074: Hello! I recently updated to build 10074 and IE11 will not launch at all! It is set as my default browser. Spartan (Edge) is working just fine...but I dont want to use it just yet as it doesnt store cookies and autofills logins. (among other reasons) Chrome opens just fine...
  4. No apps in Build 10074

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No apps in Build 10074: Hi. Was trying to access Mail in Windows 10. But it's nowhere to be found. The Apps say (empty). What happened? I went to the store. I installed it. But it still says the apps are empty. What can be done? I tried different things, like wsreset. Takes me back to the store....
  5. Lost home network in build 10074

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost home network in build 10074: I have a home network - not homegroup - that was working fine until build 10074. I have checked the workgroup name and have re shared some files/folders. This Win 10 refuses to appear in the network even on the win 10 pc. Any ideas? Wireless internet connection is OK....
  6. Build 10074 not working as should

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Build 10074 not working as should: hi guys, my network and/or homegroup no longer work. After searching and trying to fix this (a couple of hours) i gave up, gave feedback to MS and returnde to Build 10061. Hate to do a fresh install, although i have burned the ISO. So i guess i have to wait for a...
  7. Cant Update to Build 10074

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant Update to Build 10074: I tried updating to the latest build but when my computer restarts and turns back on, it gave me this error. 0xc1900101 - 0x30018 Here's a picture. Imgur 5803
  8. Upgrade to build 10074 fails

Upgrade to build 10074 fails: When I try to upgrade to build 10074 I get a failure message that reads • fbl_impressive Professional 10074 - Error 0xc1900107. I have tried Google and Bing but can't find a fix. Help! 5740
  9. Installation of Build 10074 on Compaq 110c

Installation of Build 10074 on Compaq 110c: I recently decided to sacrifice the OEM XP on this mini laptop and found it quite easy and relatively successful except for some minor hiccups: 1. The video controller driver appears to be missing so I don't get the Start screen nor the Charms. On the Intel downloads site I...
  10. Windows 10 Build 10074 Expected at BUILD 2015

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Build 10074 Expected at BUILD 2015: A few hours ago, we told you that Microsoft might be unveiling a new Windows 10 version at the BUILD 2015 developer conference this week, and now we also have a build number for the new flavor of the technical preview. Called by Russian leaker WZor the official Windows 10...