Windows 10: Should I run the 64 or 32 bit OS?

Discus and support Should I run the 64 or 32 bit OS? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Unless it is a very old computer or laptop that you cannot find 64 bit drivers for, I'd use 64 bit. Or if you have some really old software that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jam00116, Nov 22, 2015.

1. hiphopper Win User

Should I run the 64 or 32 bit OS?

Unless it is a very old computer or laptop that you cannot find 64 bit drivers for, I'd use 64 bit. Or if you have some really old software that somehow is incompatible.

I personally started using Windows 64 bit since Vista came out. With the exception of an ASUS netbook that was limited to 32 bit and had only 2GB of RAM. Every system I've purchased since then has been 64 bit compatible, and I've never had a device that didn't have 64 bit driver support. Problems finding 64 bit driver versions have pretty much disappeared since Windows 7.

Again, unless it is a very old PC or an old laptop that has no manufacturer support, I'd go with 64 bit. Even if you only think you will add more RAM to the system. There are more reasons to run 64 bit then just memory usage.

hiphopper, Nov 24, 2015
  2. spapakons Win User

You should consider any old peripheral as well. If you have any old printer, scanner, sound card, TV tuner, whatever might not have 64-bit drivers, stick with 32-bit. I would make a search to make sure I find drivers for everything before I install 64-bit to anything old. I had an old analog Pinnacle PCTV tuner card (BT878 chipset) and I had hard time locating a third-party BT8x8 64-bit driver, sign it and install it. And of course since this was a custom driver, Pinnacle's own TV application (Pinnacle Vision) didn't work and I had to find another solution. Big trouble! So unless you have or think of adding more than 4GB RAM, stick with 32-bit!

I would try 64-bit as a dual-boot and adopt it after I am 100% sure I have no issues.

spapakons, Nov 25, 2015
  3. wabbit Win User
    I had an old Dell with the same cure duo quad core processor at 2.4 ghz.. It originally had Vista 32-bit w/ 2 GB RAM. I upgraded to 4 GB RAM and ran 64bit Windows 7 successfully. Actually updated it to win 10 and the system ran well for about 3 months until the CPU and video card finally died.

With only 3 GB RAM, I would probably stick with 32-bit, but if you want to add more RAM, then 64-bit should be fine.

wabbit, Nov 25, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

As said before, I would first make 100% sure I can find 64-bit drivers. Or I would try 64-bit as a dual-boot to see if I have any issues. Once I am confident it is OK, I would then keep 64-bit and delete the 32-bit version. That's the practice I used to do with new Windows versions. With Vista I dual-booted with XP until it was mature enough and problem-free to finally switch to Vista. Then I upgraded to 7, to 8 and now 10.

spapakons, Nov 25, 2015
  5. Maltesespace, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I run the 64 or 32 bit OS? - Similar Threads - Should run bit

2. Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS: Currently, I run windows 10 home 32 Bit on a 64 Bit processor. I am looking to upgrade the OS to 64 Bit but I don’t want to reinstall Windows as the computer is from a relative who passed away and was working on a application for training pilots. As there is no exe installer,...
  3. Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS: Currently, I run windows 10 home 32 Bit on a 64 Bit processor. I am looking to upgrade the OS to 64 Bit but I don’t want to reinstall Windows as the computer is from a relative who passed away and was working on a application for training pilots. As there is no exe installer,...
  4. Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Should I install a 32 bit OS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I install a 32 bit OS?: My laptop is old and is very low-end. It struggles to run Windows. How much memory do I save by using 32 bit OS? Because I have seen people with 2 GB of memory have 0.8 memory usage, and my 4 GB RAM laptop, I have 1.6 GB usage.What are the disadvantages of running a 32-bit...
  6. Should I install a 32 bit OS?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I install a 32 bit OS?: My laptop is old and is very low-end. It struggles to run Windows. How much memory do I save by using 32 bit OS? Because I have seen people with 2 GB of memory have 0.8 memory usage, and my 4 GB RAM laptop, I have 1.6 GB usage.What are the disadvantages of running a 32-bit...
  7. Updating 32 bit to 64 bit os

Updating 32 bit to 64 bit os: My pc is compatible with 64 bit os when i try to install windows 10 64 bit it says t"app can't run on your pc please tell a solution to this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updating-32-bit-to-64-bit-os/13a83015-6d2d-46bb-bc4b-efdc8d2f6eba
  8. Windows 10 32-bit OS to 64-bit with a 64-bit based processor

Windows 10 32-bit OS to 64-bit with a 64-bit based processor: How can I change my Windows 10 32-bit OS to 64-bit as I've a 64-bit based processor? I tried downloading the Windows 10 64-bit OS from the microsoft site like an ISO file and tried running it, but it says that this pc can't run that software where Windows 10 32-bit was...
  9. 64 bit to 32 bit

in Windows 10 Support
    64 bit to 32 bit: Have a Asus laptop with 64 bit system loaded win10 64 bit used 89% of ram contacted Asus unit not suitable for win 10 is there a way to run win10 32 bit on a 64 bit system as this should use less ram. . 39318
  10. With 4GB RAM, i should install 32-bit or 64-bit OS

With 4GB RAM, i should install 32-bit or 64-bit OS: this is my desktop [img] present i install 64-bit but I need suggestions of people. 8340