Windows 10: Should I set up a Local Account on PC as well as a Microsoft Account?

Discus and support Should I set up a Local Account on PC as well as a Microsoft Account? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, I sign into my PC with a Microsoft Account. What happens if something goes wrong and you cant get into the Microsoft Account for some reason... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by sportsfan148, May 6, 2017.

1. Should I set up a Local Account on PC as well as a Microsoft Account?

Hi,
    I sign into my PC with a Microsoft Account. What happens if something goes wrong and you cant get into the Microsoft Account for some reason meaning that you cant sign into the PC (if account gets hacked or something similar)? Is it also recommended to set up a Local Account in my name on the PC as well just in case of an emergency like this?
    Obviously my Microsoft Account has Administrator priveleges. Would I need to set up the Local Account as a Standard or Administrator Account? I wouldn't be using the Local Account at all..it would just be there in case of an emergency so would it be OK to leave both my Microsoft Account and the new Local account set to Adminstrator accounts or is only one account at a time allowed to have Administrator priveleges?

:)

sportsfan148, May 6, 2017
  2. John Zab Win User

How do I change a Microsoft Account set-up as administrator to standard user.

Hi John,

To help you change a Microsoft admin account to standard user, you may do the following steps:

Method 1: Change a user account type on Settings.

• Press Windows + I to open Settings app.
    • Click Accounts.
    • Select Family & other people.
    • Under Other people, select the user account, then click
      Change account type
    • Under Account type, select Standard from the drop down menu.
    • Click OK.
    Method 2: Change a user account type on Control Panel.

• Press Windows + X to open Power User menu, then select
      Control Panel.
    • Select Change account type.
    • Click the user account you want to change.
    • Click Change the account type.
    • Select Standard.
    • Click the Change Account type to complete task.
    Method 3: Change a user account type on User Accounts.

• Press Windows + R to open run command.
    • Type netplwiz and press Enter.
    • Select the user account and click Properties.
    • Click Group Membership.
    • Choose Standard User, then click OK.
    • Click Apply to finish everything.
    Let us know the outcome.

John Zab, May 6, 2017
  3. How do I change a Microsoft Account set-up as administrator to standard user.

How do I change a Microsoft Account set-up as administrator to standard user.

JohnMartin Loso, May 6, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Should I set up a Local Account on PC as well as a Microsoft Account?

It's okay to leave both as Admin, but some changes might take place over the two accounts which may leave you scratching your head!

For example, be careful to be user specific when installing new software to either account.
    Some software already installed may automatically make changes to the other account as well.

Edwin, May 6, 2017
  5. Im not sure I like the sound of that!! lol Can it cause problems even if you never use the Local Account? I don't plan on using the Local Account at all. I'm only even considering adding a Local account because Ive read that there are plenty of occasions when a user can lose access to their Microsoft Account for one reason or another and then they are unable to sign into their PC. I was only thinking of adding a local account because someone suggested it was a good idea in such a situation in that it enables you to get back into the PC so you can thet sort the problem out.
    Do you think its a bad idea then or in-necessary to add a Local Account as a backup for emergency situations like Ive described above?
    Thanks

6. cereberus Win User
    If you want your digital licence to remain linked to your MS account, this is the way to do it.

You may find when you setup a second profile, some program shortcuts are not available. Simply move then from MS account desktop directory to the public desktop directory.

cereberus, May 6, 2017
  7. Hi Cerberus. My digital licence wouldn't be a concern because I'd still be signing into my PC with the Microsoft Account...the Local account would only ever be used to regain access to my PC if ever my Microsoft Account was compromised and I couldn't sign in for some reason.
    Do you think its not really necessary to set up a local account for this reason if you have other devices to be able to get onto the internet because I would still be able to get access to the Microsoft Account online and sort out any problems there?

8. Should I set up a Local Account on PC as well as a Microsoft Account?

I'm going to go down the route of setting up a local account as well as a Microsoft Account so that I can have a separate administrator account from the account I use regularly to sign in and use my PC with. Ive read a lot of reports saying* that has always been good practice.

sportsfan148, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Should I set up a Local Account on PC as well as a Microsoft Account?

1. Should I set up a Local Account on PC as well as a Microsoft Account? - Similar Threads - Should set Local

2. How do I change a Pc's "Local account" setting to a Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change a Pc's "Local account" setting to a Microsoft account?: I'm trying to change the "Local Account" status on a laptop PC. The option on the Settings -> Accounts page is to "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead". When I try to do that, the system also asks for my Windows 11 password which I don't have.How can I fix this problem...
  3. How do I change a Pc's "Local account" setting to a Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change a Pc's "Local account" setting to a Microsoft account?: I'm trying to change the "Local Account" status on a laptop PC. The option on the Settings -> Accounts page is to "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead". When I try to do that, the system also asks for my Windows 11 password which I don't have.How can I fix this problem...
  4. Local account is listed as a guest account as well

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local account is listed as a guest account as well: I'm currently trying to restore administrator access to my local account. Activating the built-in admin account is not working, and I've also learned that my local account is listed as a guest account as well. Editing in Regedit won't work, and there's only one account on...
  5. Local account is listed as a guest account as well

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local account is listed as a guest account as well: I'm currently trying to restore administrator access to my local account. Activating the built-in admin account is not working, and I've also learned that my local account is listed as a guest account as well. Editing in Regedit won't work, and there's only one account on...
  6. Local account is listed as a guest account as well

7. Microsoft account and pc set up

Microsoft account and pc set up: I have a desktop pc with my microsoft account but it is essentially used as my childs gaming pc.I just bought a new laptop and when setting up I thought I selected the option to not link/mirror the two pc's files.After set up I now have all of the gaming files on the new pc...
  8. Microsoft account and pc set up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft account and pc set up: I have a desktop pc with my microsoft account but it is essentially used as my childs gaming pc.I just bought a new laptop and when setting up I thought I selected the option to not link/mirror the two pc's files.After set up I now have all of the gaming files on the new pc...
  9. Create a local Account after I set up a Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create a local Account after I set up a Microsoft account: My Wife got a new computer and when i set it up I logged into my Microsoft account. Now it brings up my name and not hers and it is switching pictures between the two computers. How do I get my account off set it up for her?...
  10. Set up a local account.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Set up a local account.: I purchased a new pc and set up the Microsoft administrator account. I'd like to create a separate local account for my day-to-day computing. Each time I've tried I've only managed to replace the MS account. I'd like to be able to switch between them. How do I accomplish...