Windows 10: Should I settle on Acronis True Image (paid version) or Macrium?

Discus and support Should I settle on Acronis True Image (paid version) or Macrium? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have purchased Acronis TrueImage 2018 primarily for disk imaging in case I have a system crash and for individual file recovery if needed. ATI... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by lbeck, Mar 16, 2018.

1. lbeck Win User

Should I settle on Acronis True Image (paid version) or Macrium?

I have purchased Acronis TrueImage 2018 primarily for disk imaging in case I have a system crash and for individual file recovery if needed. ATI apparently will handle my 3TB WD MyCloud and a tethered 2TB HDD to give me 5TB storage for backups. I also have Macrium Free version. I’m having a little difficulty using ATI and understanding some error messages with ATI that I won’t go into here. I’ll start another thread if needed for that.

When I access this area of TenForums I see that most of the discussion is about Macrium. I’m serious about having a good image if needed and having a handy utility for recovering individual files.

My question here is whether I should abandon ATI for Macrium – maybe even buy the paid version (~$70). I hate to abandon my paid version of ATI but I don’t want to spend a lot of time troubleshooting it if the consensus is that Macrium is a better product.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

:)

lbeck, Mar 16, 2018

2. Windows 10 Compatibility Checker

The checker indicates that Acronis True Image must be uninstalled during upgrade. I have two other computer that also have Acronis True Image that had no compatibility issues. I uninstalled True Image last week and waited for the checker to rerun. It
    did this morning and I still have the message that Acronis True Image must be uninstalled during upgrade. What do I do?

Diana McFarlane, Mar 16, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    ATTEMPTED SWITCH FROM DPC

This error is related to Acronis True Image Software, you should remove and reinstall the software

I hope this Helps!

DaveM121, Mar 16, 2018
  4. SoFine409 Win User

Hi lbeck, I also used Acronis since 2008 and now I use Macrium. With each new version Acronis became more difficult to use threw more errors. I also had issues getting tech support. I started using Macrium free about two years ago and very soon after got the paid version for all my PCs. No issues, runs flawlessly and easy to learn. You will have some issues getting Acronis out of your system, it can be difficult to fully remove. I had issues having both Acronis and Macrium installed at the same time.

SoFine409, Mar 16, 2018
  5. Kyhi Win User
    Macrium Reflect 7 Free -

6. cereberus Win User
    No contest - Macrium Reflect. The free version is adequate for most users.

I bought the paid version primarily for its awesome Rapid Delta Restore.

Normally when you restore a drive or partition, everything on target is replaced. With RDR, it only replaces things that have changed and is much faster in many cases eg if you install something and it screws things up, quick restore with RDR may only take a minute or two.

Also, you get access to support - free version does not get access to suport.

The other major reason to change is Macrium really are superb in maintaining versions, providing fixes very quickly.

Acronis can take ages to fix issues, and worse often only put fix in next version forcing you to pay. Of course, same is ultimately true even for Macrium but difference is bugs on existing versions do get fixed. Obviously when a new version comes out, old version is no longer maintained.

cereberus, Mar 16, 2018
  7. lx07 Win User
    You don't need the paid version of Macrium to restore individual files - you simply mount the relevant image and copy back the file you want. I've no need for the extra options of the paid version personally. You may find you do but it would make sense to start with the free one and only upgrade if it doesn't do something you want.

If restoring individual files is something you do a lot then you could consider using the built in File History in addition to whatever imaging software you use. This lets you scroll back through time to find the version you want rather than mounting each image file and seeing if it is there. It isn't a replacement for imaging - just a easier way of restoring previous versions of changed or deleted user files. There were some rumors it will be replaced with a new feature called timeline but if and when this will happen is anyone's guess.

8. Stephanie Win User

Some years ago I used Paragon then used Acronis but today I only use Macrium its a lot more user friendly *Smile

Stephanie, Mar 16, 2018
  9. cereberus Win User
    Timeline is in lates Insider versions and turned out to be completely different to original expectations really being just fancy web history rather disappointingly.

cereberus, Mar 16, 2018
  10. Steve C Win User
    I consider Acronis software is poorly engineered and the support is poor. Macrium Reflect is excellent by comparison and well supported. I started out using the free version but recently bought a full licence on offer.

Steve C, Mar 16, 2018
  11. lbeck Win User
    That settles it. I'll uninstall Acronis and install Macrium free.

Thanks for your helpful comments.

lbeck, Mar 16, 2018
  12. cereberus Win User
    See the excellent guides on Macrium Reflect in tutorial section.

One really cool thing with Macrium Reflect is ability (via Macrium Viboot) to mount a Macrium Reflect Image as a Hyper-V virtual machine, make changes and resave. Great for sysprepping.

cereberus, Mar 16, 2018
  13. fireberd Win User

I'm late and you've made the right decision. +1 for Macrium (I was an Acronis user).

fireberd, Mar 16, 2018
  14. EdTittel Win User
    Ditto: +8 for Macrium (the number of PCs I have right now, and the number of PCs running Macrium).
    *Biggrin
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 16, 2018
  15. Dugly Win User
    I had paid versions of Acronis 2014 & 2015. It's a total PITA, difficult to control, and prone to interfering with life, such as running backups when you're trying to shut down a laptop when you're becoming late for travel, meetings etc. Their user support is difficult, and complaints about the product are usually met with a "you do not understand" response.
    I use Macrium paid, fantastic product.

Dugly, Mar 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I settle on Acronis True Image (paid version) or Macrium? - Similar Threads - Should settle Acronis

2. Acronis True Image Recovery Partition Questions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Acronis True Image Recovery Partition Questions: Hello, I have a 2 month old HP laptop with 256GB NVMe SSD running Windows 10 Version 2004. I wanted to upgrade to a 500GB NVMe SSD. The laptop only has the one NVMe port and I don't have a NVMe to USB adapter or enclosure, so cloning wasn't an option. I got copy of Acronis...
  3. Acronis True Image or Windows Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Acronis True Image or Windows Security: I have found that if Acronis True Image is turned on, Windows anti-virus is turned off in my Win 10 system. I also have Malware Bytes installed. Which is the better combination: Acronis or Windows with Malware? 163369
  4. Acronis True Image pr Windows Secrity

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Acronis True Image pr Windows Secrity: I have found that if Acronis True Image is turned on, Windows anti-virus is turned off in my Win 10 system. I also have Malware Bytes installed. Which is the better combination: Acronis or Windows with Malware? 163369
  5. acronis true etkinleştirme

acronis true etkinleştirme: hi aleykm acronis true image How do I activate 2020 version 161781
  6. acronis true image 2013 HELP!

acronis true image 2013 HELP!: Hello, I'm in need of some help? I currently have acronis true image 2013 installed on my pc and friends. We both have the F11 feature turned on, but my question is their any other way to boot acronis true image without using the F11 feature? Do you think i would be able...
  7. Acronis True Image 2017 - processes

Acronis True Image 2017 - processes: I have recently installed Acronis True Image 2017 into my Win 10 pro desktop PC. Got a good deal as an upgrade offer. I only make backups on this PC as and when I feel the need to, definitely not on a weekly basis. This is not a work PC and I do not want it running backups...
  8. Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect

Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect: I was toying with buying a copy of Acronis true Image now that it is on sale, but I figured I'd ask for some thoughts before doing so. Mainly, I'm looking for the ability to boot from CD/USB and create an image of a hard drive, for backup or recovery purposes. Then, if...
  9. Restore System with Acronis True Image 2014

Restore System with Acronis True Image 2014: Hi, I just updated to Windows 10 and I am loving it! I want to create a system image using a Acronis True Image 2014 bootable CD. I created a backup using the CD just fine and it includes the MBR the C: drive. When i try to restore the image, Windows 10 will boot but when i...
  10. Acronis True Image Alternatives

Acronis True Image Alternatives: I'm looking for any alternatives to Acronis True Image, specifically the boot disk option. Is there anything else better that you can recommend that gives me bootable media (USB preferred) and will allow me to make an image of the computer and send it to a local external...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. acronis true image 2017 hyper-v