Windows 10: should i shut down or put to sleep ?

Discus and support should i shut down or put to sleep ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hi guys so i've been thinking should i turn my laptop off or hibernate or put it to sleep ? i haven't turned it off since nearly 4 month , i just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by john barr, Jan 13, 2017.

1. john barr Win User

should i shut down or put to sleep ?

hi guys
    so i've been thinking should i turn my laptop off or hibernate or put it to sleep ?

i haven't turned it off since nearly 4 month , i just close the lid so it goes to sleep

will this damage it on the long term ?

:)

john barr, Jan 13, 2017

2. My computer won't shut down

Is there a big difference between a computer shutting down and being put to sleep? I mean, is it wearing down the computer if it's in sleep mode vs. shut down mode.

liannawright, Jan 13, 2017
  3. Sleep and Shut Down menu options switched in Start Menu

For some bizarre reason whenever I select "Shut Down" from my computer's start menu, it only puts my computer to sleep; however, when I select "Sleep" it shuts my computer down. This wouldn't be much more than an annoyance, except that this isn't consistently
    the case, so I can never know whether I'm shutting down my computer or putting it to sleep.

K.C.McLauglin, Jan 13, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

I prefer to hibernate rather than sleep when I close my lid. Sleep requires some power to maintain it while hibernate doesn't. If the battery runs out (or is removed) while in sleep you may loose some work. Of course, the downside is that waking from hibernation is slower than from sleep. Apart from that, there should be no risk of damage or loss whether you hibernate, sleep or shutdown (whether using 'fast startup' or not).

Occasionally a system will pick up a few odd 'quirks' if left running for too long, a restart will reset everything back to normal. If you've been getting the windows updates then yours would have restarted at least once a month anyway, so nothing to concern you there either.

5. john barr Win User
    it updates automatically ( idk how often )
    like you said , i will restart at least once a month
    thank for the help

john barr, Jan 13, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    The Cumulative Updates (which will schedule a restart to finish the install) are routinely issued on 'Patch Tuesday', the second Tuesday of each month.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. should i shut down or put to sleep ? - Similar Threads - should shut down

2. My PC shuts down when put to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC shuts down when put to sleep: My PC shuts down when put to sleep, whenever I start-up but I don't login the sleep works just fine but when I login it doesn't work. When I put it to sleep the screen turns off and goes into sleep mode and I can hear something shut down I think it's the hard drive but the...
  3. My PC shuts down when put to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC shuts down when put to sleep: My PC shuts down when put to sleep, whenever I start-up but I don't login the sleep works just fine but when I login it doesn't work. When I put it to sleep the screen turns off and goes into sleep mode and I can hear something shut down I think it's the hard drive but the...
  4. PC shuts down randomly when I put it in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC shuts down randomly when I put it in sleep mode: Randomly whenever I put my PC into sleep mode, when I come pack and turn it on it acts as if I had shut it down. When i run the powercfg -systempowerreport that says its an abnormal shutdown. In the event logs, it creates most notably an error and a critical error message....
  5. PC shuts down when put to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC shuts down when put to sleep: Hello all,Whenever I try to put my PC to sleep, it seems to shut all the way down. But it turns back on when I move my mouse, I don't have to touch the power button, and I get a 'windows was not shut down correctly' error in Reliability History. I suspect it is corrupted...
  6. laptop shuts down when put in sleep

laptop shuts down when put in sleep: this started after dell put on bios update and windows updates. Dell does not respond. is there something you can help me with? Could this be a windows power issue? HELP...
  7. Computer shuts down when put to sleep

Computer shuts down when put to sleep: When I close the lid of my new laptop, it shuts down instead of staying in sleep mode. I've triple checked that the computer is set to Sleep (NOT Shut Down) when the lid is closed. It seems to Sleep for a short time, then Shut Down. Battery at 90%, so that isn't the issue. I...
  8. Laptop shuts down when put into sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop shuts down when put into sleep mode: Hi all first time poster, So I'm having a major problem that I can't seem to fix. When I close the lid of my laptop, put it into sleep mode, or put it into hibernation mode, the laptop basically shuts down. The power light flashes on and off, but when I reopen the lid or...
  9. should i put computer to sleep?

should i put computer to sleep?: shout i leave the power options alone? like iof i am converting a video? 19554
  10. Laptop shuts down when put into sleep mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop shuts down when put into sleep mode: Hi all first time poster, So I'm having a major problem that I can't seem to fix. When I close the lid of my laptop, put it into sleep mode, or put it into hibernation mode, the laptop basically shuts down. The power light flashes on and off, but when I reopen the lid or...