Windows 10: Should I Still Backup With Macrium?

Discus and support Should I Still Backup With Macrium? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm a bit confused guys as to whether I should still use Macrium to make an image. If I already have a Bootable USB Flash Drive with FCU (1709) on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Runnerbean, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Should I Still Backup With Macrium?

I'm a bit confused guys as to whether I should still use Macrium to make an image.

If I already have a Bootable USB Flash Drive with FCU (1709) on it which I made using MCT to get the ISO and Rufus to make the Bootable, why would I need to make a system image in Macrium? Wouldn't I simply just be duplicating what I already have on the Bootable? In effect, I already have a backup and would use the Bootable to Clean Install in the event of a disaster.

:)

Runnerbean, Nov 2, 2017
  2. bhringer Win User

Should I still be concerned?

Since you have McAfee it's best to engage their support.

McAfee

~

bhringer, Nov 2, 2017
  3. Cyrs Win User
    Should I still be concerned?

Hello

Definitely an odd issue, although if I were you, I would change all of my passwords, especially banking info if you do use your machine for it. Some security professionals would even say wipe your whole machine since you have no idea what happened and no
    way to trace it either. This is why recovery softwares, encryption softwares, and regular backups can really secure your machine if it gets infected.

Do some research, there are free version of these softwares that are reliable and do what you need it to do. Being free just sometimes means manually doing things.

Good luck and safe browsing!

Cyrs, Nov 2, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Should I Still Backup With Macrium?

A disk image is a compressed copy of everything in the used part of the selected disk/partitions.

MAcrium option Backup Windows selects all the 4 (for EFI) partitions for Windows, and creates a compressed copy of that.
    Thus restoring that precisely returns you to Windows as it was when you created the image including all settings, installed programs, user data.

Note too you can of course create disk images of data partitions and disks.

Having a 'backup' if you've selectively backed up data is not the same thing at all.

dalchina, Nov 2, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    It depends on what is installed on your computer and what you use it for. Is it a computer with just Windows on it that you use for browsing the internet and doing email, with all your email online like gmail anyway? Then your plan of doing a clean install if something goes wrong is probably sufficient. Does your computer have Microsoft Office, accounting software, customer account data on it? Then a regularly scheduled full system backup is absolutely essential.

It depends on what you are willing to lose. If you are going to stick with the plan of a clean install if something happens - then you need to plan on also losing everything that is on that computer.

NavyLCDR, Nov 2, 2017
  6. +NavyLCDR

I don't really have any of those programs/apps you mention. My custom built PC is more for gaming. I have a totally separate SSD just for Windows and two separate SSDs for Steam games and other bits and bobs so you could say I'm not a power User.

When I did my totally clean install from 1703 to FCU 1709, I did have to re-install a small amount of software related to my hobby but nothing major.

This is why I was wondering whether I'm fortunate enough that I can just rely on my already created Bootable that MCT/Rufus did for me without having to go the extra mile to create backups with Macrium.

Runnerbean, Nov 2, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    The MR backup takes less than 15 minutes or so, depending on your system and storage. Takes less than 10 minutes to restore back. A clean install with all the app re-installs and data, etc. to restore would take hours, if not days. Plus reapply any MS updates again. Macrium is free for what you would need to do. What would you do if the thumb drive went bad on you, and you couldn't make another? Macrium can make you a Rescue thumb for restore and other purposes.

f14tomcat, Nov 2, 2017
  8. Should I Still Backup With Macrium?

Don't worry,..I already thought about that and I'm well covered on that score. I have the FCU 1709 ISO backed up in three separate places on different machines so I can always make another Bootable if I have too. I've even got copies of the latest Cumulative updates I manually downloaded from the MS Catalogue.

Runnerbean, Nov 2, 2017
  9. RolandJS Win User
    Without a 2nd backup plan, I hope nothing every goes wrong with the 1st backup plan *Smile
    I have two dedicated pancake-sized, plater-driven, usb external HDs for each computer; each HD normally has two Cs and two Ds.
    However, you're a professional gamer, so data might not be the issue; however, be sure your scores, rankings, IDs, etc. are fully backed -- because some games might punt you all the way back to square one/person one if there is no earlier-games data & history on your hard-drive.

RolandJS, Nov 2, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    It's all horses for courses. I never use recovery drives, just Macrium images. I had an ssd fail, put a new one in and was back up and fully functioning in 40 minutes including time to fit blank drive.

cereberus, Nov 2, 2017
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    *Thumbs

One comment: Backups are an insurance policy for your sanity. Using Macrium (or similar) there are no insurance premiums to pay, just a few minutes of your time every week or so, more often if you wish. Can even be scheduled.

f14tomcat, Nov 2, 2017
  12. wow,..only took me 10 minutes to clean install FCU from the Bootable USB Flash. As you say,..it's all horses for courses and at the end of the day,..it all depends what the PC is used for and how much data there is.

My PC is more of a gaming machine with three Drives one of which is solely for the operating system only. Sometimes a few Steam game installations may put things on the 'C' Drive but I always copy and paste those anyway.

If my OS Drive fails then all I have to do is replace the SSD, quick 2 minute job, insert the Bootable Flash USB and I'm good to go really. Everything else is on my D and E Drives. If either D or E goes belly-up, then again,..easy to just redownload a game from Steam or simply paste a copy from a backup I made previously.

Macrium does sound incredibly useful though but I haven't had any convincing answers as to why I should use it considering my particular circumstances.

Runnerbean, Nov 2, 2017
  13. Clive K Win User

If you don't mind a default install, you're set. Personally, I prefer an image to save my changes, including my graphics drivers. I really don't like customizing more than once.
    My entire system - including about 15 non-Win apps - is restored in 3 minutes. About 20 GB. My main use is gaming.

Clive K, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I Still Backup With Macrium? - Similar Threads - Should Still Backup

2. Modified Macrium backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Modified Macrium backup: Dell Inspiron 15 5565, Win 10 Home I want to create a Mactium backup, but it's going to be huge unless I can properly modify it. I tried to use a USB with 28gb free space as the destination, but it wasn't enough [img] My first question is can I just image the first 4...
  3. macrium backup failed

macrium backup failed: hello all after months of doing a image backup , today my marcium backup failed , i have tried several times to do a backup, and a [img] [img] reboot ( before i do the 1809 ) update any suggestions welcomed 123956
  4. Is Macrium Reflect still the best backup software, hands down?

Is Macrium Reflect still the best backup software, hands down?: My mother just bought herself a stylish red WD Passport external hard drive. Hardware and cable are nice quality and it's showing excellent performance. Of course, it came with the WD backup software. I keep seeing high praise for Macrium Reflect. Is this still the case,...
  5. Is Macrium Reflect still the best backup software, hands down?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is Macrium Reflect still the best backup software, hands down?: My mother just bought herself a stylish red WD Passport external hard drive. Hardware and cable are nice quality and it's showing excellent performance. Of course, it came with the WD backup software. I keep seeing high praise for Macrium Reflect. Is this still the case,...
  6. Question on Macrium backups

Question on Macrium backups: Thanks for thinking about answering my question! I currently have the following backup plan for my laptop - full backup on Sunday, then Differential every other day of the week. So in the case of a failure, I just have to restore the Sunday Full and the latest Differential...
  7. Macrium Backup error

Macrium Backup error: I was getting system hanging problem in my windows 10 for quite a days (my system is dual boot with two hard disk, one XP and other Windows 10). I already have macrium backup image but I tried to take a new backup of my windows 10 system drives with the free version from...
  8. Macrium installation & backup

Macrium installation & backup: Hello Forum, An hour ago I installed Macrium, after instl. it made (burned) a rescue dvd. I am trying to make my first backup to the system, but first I want to consult with my 'teachers', After installation please see screenshot "macrium - 01.jpg", there are 2 disks, C:...
  9. Backup & Restore with Macrium

Backup & Restore with Macrium: Hello, Thanks for the answers. Searching I found this long explanation which made me more confused http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/201...-way-with.html and I have lot of questions since, 1. Have one full instl. file "reflect_setup_free_x86(6.1.1081).exe size 39.502...
  10. Macrium backup

Macrium backup: I have made a backup of my hard drive from my old computer with macruim reflect. It is a backup of a few installed applications and software packages but more importantly it is a copy of windows 10 professional with digital entitlement. I plan to buy a new laptop and am...