Windows 10: Should I try for Windows 10 on my Windows 8.1 pro desktop?

Discus and support Should I try for Windows 10 on my Windows 8.1 pro desktop? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Desktop is at least 10 yrs. old. Installed Windows 8.1 Pro couple months ago just to play around. I can get the Windows 10 update, but I don't know if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by milford, Aug 15, 2017.

1. milford Win User

Should I try for Windows 10 on my Windows 8.1 pro desktop?

Desktop is at least 10 yrs. old. Installed Windows 8.1 Pro couple months ago just to play around. I can get the Windows 10 update, but I don't know if I should.
    Desktop has a Q6600 CPU, ATI 4870 video card, and Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card. I found the last official drivers for these and everything works.

Will I loose the drivers if I update? Can I roll back / uninstall Windows 10 if it doesn't work and get the drivers back and working? Should I even bother?

Thanks for any help.

:)

milford, Aug 15, 2017
  2. DanSchell Win User

Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro

I would like to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 8.1.

Should I upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 Pro first then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

or

Should I upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

Pro's and Con's of each route?

Thanks

DanSchell, Aug 15, 2017
  3. Microsoft wrongly upgraded me from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Home

According to the Microsoft site www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/Windows-10-specifications since I was previously running Windows 8.1 Pro, I should have received Windows 10 Pro, not Windows Home, like what happened.

Microsoft's two solutions so far are not viable:

(1) reload Windows 8.1, then re-upgrade to Windows 10 pro. I get error: “This platform is not supported” when I try to download W 8.1 Pro from
    Microsoft.

(2) Reformat my computer which is insane for what should be a minor upgrade from W 10 Home to W 10 Pro.

SnakeKiota, Aug 15, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Make a backup image of it before the upgrade and you can go exactly back to the way it is now if Windows 10 doesn't work.

NavyLCDR, Aug 15, 2017
  5. milford Win User
    Backup or System Image. They seem to be two different things.
    First two on this list.

Windows 10 Forums - Search Results

Seems to be two different ways to backup / create image.

milford, Aug 15, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Aug 15, 2017
  7. milford Win User
    I downloaded the software but don't know how to use it. That link I showed is for the Macrium software, but it seems to be used two different ways. Which way do I use it?

milford, Aug 15, 2017
  8. AddRAM Win User

If you like W8 then leave it alone, but in my opinion W10 is better than W8, but they are both just operating systems.

Create an image of C and any other necessary boot partitions.

Create and upload an entire shot of Disk Management and we`ll tell you which ones.

Choose Go Advanced in your reply then click the paperclip icon to upload the shot.

Example:

AddRAM, Aug 15, 2017
  9. AddRAM Win User
    Simply check which partitions you want to image, then click image this disk.

AddRAM, Aug 15, 2017
  10. Flissa Win User
    My Compaq Presario laptop is way older than 10 years but it's a star. Vista was the original OS, then I installed Win 7 and now I have had each version of Win10 and have just done a clean install of Win10 Creators. Never had any problems. Win10 just installed the correct drivers etc all by itself! Am well impressed with the latest version as my laptop seems to be running even better! Don't keep many files on my hard drive and can always reinstall fave programs. Couldn't clone, partition or image disks to save my life. Just keep it simple but I can never resist the newest OS. Go for it my friend!

Flissa, Aug 16, 2017
  11. I've always used Macrium Reflect to clone an OS to new HDD's.
    I'm receiving a refurb Surface Pro in a few days that has Windows 8 Pro. I want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
    Can I image the existing OS to a USB to reinstall if necessary?

leonicholson, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I try for Windows 10 on my Windows 8.1 pro desktop? - Similar Threads - Should try pro

2. I hate Windows 8! Why should l move to Windows 8? I want Windows 10 back!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I hate Windows 8! Why should l move to Windows 8? I want Windows 10 back!!!: My father's HP Desktop, HP Pavilion 23 b244 All in One PC, with Windows 10 updates, broke down, and my father scolded me, and factory reset to Windows 8 started.I hate Windows 8!!! This is the worst operating system I have ever got!!! I want Windows 10 back and my father's...
  3. I hate Windows 8! Why should l move to Windows 8? I want Windows 10 back!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I hate Windows 8! Why should l move to Windows 8? I want Windows 10 back!!!: My father's HP Desktop, HP Pavilion 23 b244 All in One PC, with Windows 10 updates, broke down, and my father scolded me, and factory reset to Windows 8 started.I hate Windows 8!!! This is the worst operating system I have ever got!!! I want Windows 10 back and my father's...
  4. I hate Windows 8! Why should l move to Windows 8? I want Windows 10 back!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Trying to upgrade my Windows 8 to Windows 10 Pro

Trying to upgrade my Windows 8 to Windows 10 Pro: I have a laptop with Windows 8 64 bit. I want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. However it gets to about 70 percent then reads this code 0x800707E7-0x3000D. Then starts undoing the changes. What do I need to do?...
  6. Should I try upgrading to Windows 10?

Should I try upgrading to Windows 10?: I have an Acer Aspire M1641, it's given by my friend. When I get it, it running Windows 7 32 bit. I upgraded to windows 10 32 bit. afer setup, there are no apps in start menu, laggy, tranparency problem. The next day, I want to start pc and it just refuses to start. It just...
  7. Should I downgrade to windows 8?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I downgrade to windows 8?: I have a Toshiba satellite C55-B5101 laptop that I got a few years back at Best Buy, id guess I've had my laptop for about 4-5 years now. I understand a laptop like mine isn't meant for gaming but I noticed when I updated to windows 10 my computer was running slower than...
  8. should I downgrade from windows 10 to windows 8?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    should I downgrade from windows 10 to windows 8?: I have been using windows 10 ever since I purchased my laptop and it worked fine though, after some time, my habits changed and I started checking updates on a daily basis and this is when the multiple problems started to occur and mostly I had to reinstall windows. This...
  9. Windows 10 on a Windows 8 Surface Pro

Windows 10 on a Windows 8 Surface Pro: Has anyone experienced Windows 10 on a Windows 8 Surface Pro. I have one from 2012 and want to update it but I worry that this might result in a slower device as older hardware might not work well with a new operating system. Please share with me experiences you've had with...
  10. Windows 8 Pro vs Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 8 Pro vs Windows 10 Pro: When I purchased my new computer a little over a year ago, I wanted to get Widows 8 Professional, but was told that I couldn't buy it outright, I could only lease it. Now I see Windows 10 Professional FOR SALE! Will I buy it? I don't know -BUT - If Windows 8 Professional...