Windows 10: Should I Uninstall Powershell for Improved Security?

Discus and support Should I Uninstall Powershell for Improved Security? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've seen a few posts on the forum that disabling Powershell can improve system security. I never use Powershell so will I have any problems... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Steve C, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Steve C Win User

Should I Uninstall Powershell for Improved Security?

I've seen a few posts on the forum that disabling Powershell can improve system security. I never use Powershell so will I have any problems maintaining my PC if I simply uninstall Powershell via Windows Features?

:)

Steve C, Jul 30, 2016

2. Uninstalling Windows Powershell

Why do you want to uninstall Powershell?

Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 30, 2016
  3. Uninstalling Windows Powershell

While it may solve problems for games on the Windows 10 Store, I get my games on Steam. One of them (Team Fortress 2) uses an anti cheat system that is blocking my access to legitimate servers for the game, apparently because Powershell is one of many
    programs that can interfere with the processing of the anti-cheat system. In other words, as long as Powershell is on my computer, the game thinks I'm using cheat software, and turning it off using the appwiz command hasn't done me any good.

MrNickRari, Jul 30, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

Please elaborate why you think its a security risk.

swarfega, Jul 30, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    There are a few posts like this one which mention disabling Powershell for improved security Ransomware Protection?

See post 6 where TairikuOkami says I disable WSH and remove powershell, that prevents ransomware and majority of other malware as well. Hence, my idea of uninstalling Powershell since I never use it.

Steve C, Jul 30, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Best protection against ransomware and malware is

1) common sense - be careful when installing things etc.

2) make full image backups regularly, coupled with (say) daily differential backups if you like.

Uninstalling tools like powershell can have unexpected side effects.

cereberus, Jul 30, 2016
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    Disabling powershell may help to reduce the incidence of ransomwhere and other rmalware but not by much. It certainly won't eliminate it. You may not be using powershell but that doesn't mean that other Windows components or applications won't be using it's components.

LMiller7, Jul 30, 2016
  8. Steve C Win User

Thanks - I'll leave Powershell installed if it's needed by other Windows components

Steve C, Jul 30, 2016
  9. You have Kaspersky Internet Security 2016, so there's no need to be paranoid unless you visit 100 malicious websites and download everything you see on the internet.

RubberDucky, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I Uninstall Powershell for Improved Security? - Similar Threads - Should Uninstall Powershell

2. Uninstall powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Uninstall powershell: Hello,After i uninstalled powershell its still on my PC. I dont know how to remove it. How to solve it?Greetings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uninstall-powershell/02793fb0-92c5-44ce-8d12-117d33e54664
  3. Uninstall powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Uninstall powershell: Hello,After i uninstalled powershell its still on my PC. I dont know how to remove it. How to solve it?Greetings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uninstall-powershell/02793fb0-92c5-44ce-8d12-117d33e54664
  4. Uninstall powershell

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Should I Uninstall TAP-Windows?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I Uninstall TAP-Windows?: I see on my windows menu a folder call TAP-Windows. It has to do with ethernet connections. I have a VPN called windscribe. Is this Tap-Windows part of windscribe? Do I uninstall it? [img] 176684
  6. How to uninstall Powershell?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to uninstall Powershell?: I am trying to uninstall Windows Powershell. Every time I boot up my pc and sign in, there is always this worrying notification saying that "Threats Found". When I would click on it, it would say I have a trojan and its saying it is from Powershell. Now, I know Windows...
  7. What should I do to improve performance for gaming?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What should I do to improve performance for gaming?: I saw that disabling Microsoft Update and Defender helps for a slight performance upgrade, what else should I do? And is there anyway to temporarily disable it via a batch file please? Thanks in advance :) submitted by /u/AAAAAshwin [link] [comments]...
  8. What is Mono and should I uninstall it?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is Mono and should I uninstall it?: There is a .msi file named mono and a corresponding folder, I've never installed this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-mono-and-should-i-uninstall-it/6d909243-4d73-449e-9934-bd34cbaff272
  9. Which one should I uninstall?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Which one should I uninstall?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/weeabboo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ehf7vd/which_one_should_i_uninstall/
  10. microsoft problem should be improve

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    microsoft problem should be improve: my computer was fine before updating. but after the update, nothing is working. as soon as you are opening something , the computer starts restarting. so please fine it. help me! Thanks & Regards omhari singh...