Windows 10: Should i update my BIOS Drivers?

Discus and support Should i update my BIOS Drivers? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Should I update my BIOS Drivers? Actually, it takes a minute for the PC to boot... The boot time is extremely slow. That's why I'm thinking of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Xentreali, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Xentreali Win User

Should i update my BIOS Drivers?

Should I update my BIOS Drivers? Actually, it takes a minute for the PC to boot... The boot time is extremely slow.
    That's why I'm thinking of updating my BIOS Drivers. Thanks *Smile
    Specs:
    Motherboard: MSI 880GMS - E41(FX)
    CPU: AMD FX-6300
    GPU: PowerColor Devil R9 270x
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GB -- I will upgrade it soon

:)

Xentreali, Aug 2, 2015

2. Windows 10 Inaccessible Boot Device - boot loop

Thanks Greg, I've tried a lot of the steps provided. I noticed my motherboard version is listed as version 'X.0x'. I'm sure the latest bios update from Asus is newer than my current but I'm hesitant to install Bios updates, do you think updating my bios
    is likely to work? Or should I do a clean install of Windows first? Also should I use the earlier version of Windows as Andre suggested?

Thanks a lot

Matt.

MattThomson1, Aug 2, 2015
  3. suat.cini Win User
    Unable to update the BIOS

Hi.

Sometimes, the same happens on my HP notebook.

HP releases BIOS update file with the .CAB extension. The BIOS update never installs. I rename the .CAB extension to .ROM and the BIOS update installs.

This should not be taken as a solution to your issue. I posted it as an info.

suat.cini, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Wynona Win User

You didn't tell us which version of Windows you're running. *Smile

If you're running Windows 7, a minute is normal; however, it can be tweaked to take less boot time. Running Windows 8.1? Bootup should take half that time or less. Windows 10? Mine boots at a blazing less than 20 seconds.

Do you have Legacy BIOS or do you have UEFI BIOS?

One of the first lessons I learned was that if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Because upgrading BIOS can be such an easy thing or one of the absolute trickiest, I'd check out everything I could find before going to that extent.

Have you defragged your hard drive? How many programs are in your Startup menu? 4 GB RAM seems to be pretty good, although 8 would be better. Check your BIOS to see how much checking they do before bootup.

Search using Google, Bing or Yahoo for slow bootup time and see what you can find there.

I'm not saying don't update your BIOS, but I am saying you should do your homework first. Then if nothing else works, go with your gut and be very careful when you do. Do you have power outages, or have there been any brownouts lately?

Once you've done your homework and decide to go ahead, go to your computer's website and print, yes, I said print BIOS update instructions, then follow them to the letter.

Wynona, Aug 2, 2015
  5. Berton Win User
    If anything goes wrong while Flashing the BIOS it can kill the motherboard. I never flash a BIOS unless having the computer connected to a UPS/Battery Backup device as a power bump or failure can ruin all efforts.

Berton, Aug 2, 2015
  6. Xentreali Win User
    I already did those things you've said. Those didn't work. Btw, I have Legacy BIOS. I have Windows 10 Pro. I have 7 programs in my startup menu; I disabled the 4 programs, so I only have 3 programs. There aren't any brownouts or power outages lately.

Xentreali, Aug 2, 2015
  7. bobkn Win User
    I've never had a homebuilt PC that booted in less than about 60 seconds until I got a second generation UEFI motherboard, with fast boot.

Some of my desktop machines at work were quicker, but that may be correlated with the simplified BIOS settings available.

bobkn, Aug 2, 2015
  8. jaccies Win User

use a SSD *Wink

jaccies, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Should i update my BIOS Drivers? - Similar Threads - Should update BIOS

2. should i update the driver ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    should i update the driver ?: but i read this section make me worry to update it,because maybe some trouble come when i finish the update, or i just stay with my driver laptop because last update is from windows 10 so i am confused...
  3. should i update the driver ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    should i update the driver ?: but i read this section make me worry to update it,because maybe some trouble come when i finish the update, or i just stay with my driver laptop because last update is from windows 10 so i am confused...
  4. NEED QUICK REPLY - Should I update my BIOS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NEED QUICK REPLY - Should I update my BIOS?: I have an old laptop from Dell, and on their support website, it shows me a bunch of drivers for update, including an update to the BIOS firmware, and it also categorizes it as "urgent". Now I know the risks of updating my BIOS firmware, that is why I am asking this. Even...
  5. NEED QUICK REPLY - Should I update my BIOS?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NEED QUICK REPLY - Should I update my BIOS?: I have an old laptop from Dell, and on their support website, it shows me a bunch of drivers for update, including an update to the BIOS firmware, and it also categorizes it as "urgent". Now I know the risks of updating my BIOS firmware, that is why I am asking this. Even...
  6. Should i update my drivers???

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Should i update my drivers???: Should I update my drivers? I have updates in the optional updates saying there are updates for drivers sooo should I update it or keep it like that only. it says:-"if you have a specific problem one of these drivers might help. otherwise automatic updates will keep your...
  7. Should I update BIOS?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Should I update BIOS?: I've been having trouble with my internet for a few months now. My laptop disconnects from Wi-Fi 1-2 times every hour, whether it's my home Wi-Fi, school Wi-Fi, or personal hotspot. When I troubleshooted a few weeks ago I got the message "a network cable is not properly...
  8. DELL & BIOS update - should I update BIOS?

DELL & BIOS update - should I update BIOS?: Hello, I have a Dell desktop XPS 8900, running the latest version (1903) of Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit . My new monitor is not detecting my display port cable, so I am using DVI. (The old monitor from 2007 didn't have a DP option.) I decided to check and see if I needed new...
  9. Should I update driver or not?

Should I update driver or not?: In Device Manager under Network Adapter I have the Realtek PCIe Gbe Family Controller. The date of the driver is 9/4/2015 so it is quite an old driver but it states that "this device is working properly" and I'm having absolutely no issues or problems with it at all. Its a...
  10. Dell BIOS Update - Should I ?

Dell BIOS Update - Should I ?: Windows 10 on a Dell XPS8900 desktop tower. I am getting a message telling me there is a Dell BIOS update available and recommending that I do it. In the systray, there is a Dell icon that says my system is up to date. Should I ignore the BIOS update? Sounds major and...