Windows 10: Should I upgrade before or after the April 2018 upgrade arrives?

Discus and support Should I upgrade before or after the April 2018 upgrade arrives? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Thanks to all for the advice and helpful suggestions. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bunyip22, Apr 4, 2018.

1. bunyip22 Win User

Should I upgrade before or after the April 2018 upgrade arrives?

Thanks to all for the advice and helpful suggestions.

bunyip22, Apr 4, 2018
  2. bunyip22 Win User

I originally upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 on two PCs when it was released. However, I had some problems with it on my laptop and took the option to revert to Windows 7. Now I would like to try it again as it has been working well on my desktop. Would I be better to do it now before the new upgrade is released, or wait until after it arrives?

:)

bunyip22, Apr 29, 2018
  3. Andre Da Costa, Apr 29, 2018
  4. Sfenn Win User

Should I do a hardware upgrade before or after the Windows 10 upgrade reservation

Hi,

I have bought parts for a hardware upgrade to my current computer.

Parts consist of new motherboard, new CPU and new memory and an added harddrive.

I currently run Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bit

(I have the GWX.EXE running and showing the little "window" icon on the activity bar to the right.)

When is the best time to reserve a Windows 10 upgrade?

Before or after an upgrade of the hardware and a clean reinstall of Windows 7

Thanks

Sfenn, Apr 29, 2018
  5. AddRAM Win User
    It doesn't matter, the choice is totally up to you.

What's wrong with leaving 7 on the laptop ?

AddRAM, Apr 29, 2018
  6. Samuria Win User
    You may as well wait for new update 8 may or if you do before you will have to update in a short time so your doing twice the work

Samuria, Apr 29, 2018
  7. bunyip22 Win User
    That's what I thought but wondered if the trasition might be easier with W10 already in place.
    Nothing wrong with W7, but my understanding is that it will be unsupported in another year or so

bunyip22, Apr 29, 2018
  8. AddRAM Win User

I would wait until the Spring Update has been out for 3 or 4 months, then clean install it on the laptop.

You would just have to enter your W7 key during the install.

I`ll assume the laptop has Home Premium ?

If you can`t read the key on the COA use Speccy to retrieve your key.

AddRAM, Apr 29, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    Actually, as this PC has already been upgraded to Windows 10 once before it already has a digital license on Microsoft's activation servers. You can do a clean install of the same edition as before (Home or Pro) and skip entering the key when asked. It will activate automatically as soon as it can contact the activation servers.

10. davidhk Win User
    Just to add one point.
    Whatever problems you had with the Win 10 on your laptop which you reverted back to Win 7, you will most likely have the same problems after upgrading to April 2018 Upgrades.

Personally, I would upgrade now and try to fix whatever problems existing. If unable to fix the problems, go back to Win 7 and forget about the new Win 10 Upgrade.
    If you manage to fix the problems, then you will be assured that the April 2018 Upgrade will not inherit the old problems.

davidhk, Apr 29, 2018
  11. Bree New Member
    supported until 2020.

https://support.microsoft.com/help/1...cle-fact-sheet

12. AddRAM Win User
    Ha, people keep saying April Update *Roflmao2

Ya, I had written that you might have the same problems but deleted it.

I`m not sure if there is still a Windows Upgrade advisor ? Download Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor

Not to be confused with the Upgrade Assistant.

AddRAM, Apr 29, 2018
  13. Bree New Member

That was, I believe, another name for the 'Get Windows 10' app that was forced onto many Win7/8 PCs. I think that stopped working a year after the Windows 10 launch.
    https://support.microsoft.com/help/1...10-upgrade-faq

There used to be an Upgrade Assistant for each new windows, up to Windows 8. There isn't one for Windows 10, but you can use the install media to check for compatibility without actually going as far as doing the install. Just run Setup.exe with the following command line:

Setup /Compat ScanOnly

https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...atest-version/

14. BRKKAB Win User
    Do a system image tonight, then tomorrow afternoon use the Media Creation Tool and save the iso for Windows 10 1803 on a flash drive. Then do a clean install with it.
    Before you do the clean install make sure you have a backup of your pc, a system image, any upgraded drivers for your laptop for Windows 10.
    After that's all done do a clean install of Windows 10.
    That's probably where your previous issues were from doing a upgrade install from 7 to 10.
    Never do a upgrade install from one version of Windows to a newer version, you'll have issues.

BRKKAB, Apr 29, 2018
  15. Bree New Member
    Maybe I'm lucky, but I've not had any issues yet. 5th generation and counting...

Win7 > 1507 > 1511 > 1607 > 1703 > 1709.

Thema:

1. Should I upgrade before or after the April 2018 upgrade arrives? - Similar Threads - Should upgrade before

2. Should I upgrade?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Should I upgrade?: Hi, I opened the Update window. [ATTACH] Is it safe to upgrade now? Or should I do next time? 20H1 does have a lot of bugs, I know it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-upgrade/52443752-fbb1-4da6-9c72-3f7c5d30a306
  3. should I upgrade?

should I upgrade?: I have Windows 10 Pro x64 v1909 18363.535 What do you think you could upgrade to? You already have the latest version of W10 Pro (1909) and the most recent build (18363.535). 147262
  4. upgrade oktober 2018

upgrade oktober 2018: HI! What's the situation of winver1809, oktober upgrade? Is it now efficient ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-oktober-2018/45022bbf-a17b-4cfb-b9be-6a2d21d69d6c
  5. Windows 10 October 2018 Update problems after upgrade from Windows 10 April 2018 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 October 2018 Update problems after upgrade from Windows 10 April 2018 update: After upgrading the Windows 10 October 2018 update some problems occurred. In the Settings app, the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter is missing, I noticed this after getting a hardware error that is displayed in the reliability monitor. The task manager displays CPU usage...
  6. Should I Upgrade?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Should I Upgrade?: So, the question is, should I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10? I'm asking this as my CPU is only 2.1 GHz and wondering if it would run normally or even better in cases than W7. All comments appreciated! [img] The question now is, Can i upgrade my windows 10 32...
  7. Should I upgrade hardware before upgrading 7 Ultimate x64 to 10?

Should I upgrade hardware before upgrading 7 Ultimate x64 to 10?: Hi all, I've been contemplating upgrading my current hardware (see profile for details) for the past few months. Now that Windows 10 is being rolled out I've read that changing hardware will cause Windows to re-activate but people have had issues. Therefore should I...
  8. Should I Upgrade

Should I Upgrade: I have a custom built server like pc that has tons of unique hardware, top of the line ati radeon graphics card 2 years ago, pci card to add 2 extra sata ports to the 8 on the motherboard, 8 internal hard drives, two SSD, one fast one for windows 7 and one from program files,...
  9. Should i upgrade?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should i upgrade?: Hello, i've got win7 and a bit old sound card that doesn't have drivers for windows 10 so my question is should i upgrade anyway? Sound will work i'm 100% sure but perhaps the front audio jack won't work? I've had issues with front audio jack, it seems to only work when the...
  10. Should I run Windows 8.1 update before upgrading?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I run Windows 8.1 update before upgrading?: Hey everyone. I'm just getting ready to do a system restore via factory USB. I had asked another question earlier today (which answered all my questions). Something else just occurred to me. Being that I plan on running the Windows 10 update later today (or tomorrow depending...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. theres a problem running this tool 0x80080005-0x90017