Windows 10: Should I upgrade now?

Discus and support Should I upgrade now? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I saw something similar here. Today I checked my upgrade window and saw that I could upgrade. I decided to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by aquaglow, Jul 31, 2015.

1. aquaglow Win User

Should I upgrade now?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I saw something similar here.
    Today I checked my upgrade window and saw that I could upgrade. I decided to upgrade later. About 10 minutes ago, I told my friends I was upgrading, and one of them said that it was horrible and nothing wanted to work. She said she had a Windows 8 computer that wasn't very old, like mine, and she had to use the technical preview as her main OS due to viruses, and that she is having problems. Should I wait for updates to eliminate major bugs and incompatibility, or should I upgrade now?

:)

aquaglow, Jul 31, 2015
  2. Pam_952 Win User

Should I Upgrade?

Thanks so much for the response. I agree with your analogy and will not try to do this myself. If I decide I can't live without the upgrade, I will seek the help of a professional. I just bought this machine, so it will be a few years before I buy another
    one. However, I'm happy with the way it is. Again, thanks.

Pam_952, Jul 31, 2015
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Should I Upgrade?

My Dell computer could be a grandfather to your Dell computer and it runs Windows 10 very well.

"Not real technically savvy ..."

In that case you shouldn't try to install a new operating system.

Despite all the hype, the truth is: Installing a new operating system requires a good amount of technical knowledge and experience. If you don't have that, save yourself a lot of heartache and don't try
    it.

That advice is not going to go over well with the Microsoft Marketing Department. And it's no insult to you. It's just common sense. I have limited skills with wiring, so I am not going to try
    to install a fan in my bathroom. (I called a professional.)

To add to all that, Windows 10 is not even 3 months out of the gate, and
    every new operating system has bugs and other issues that get worked out during the first 6 months or so. Windows 10 is due to receive two major upgrades over the next six months that should fix a lot of the problems it currently has.

An operating system is not something 'cool' to have. It's the core of your computer. If, like most people, you're not very tech savvy, wait until you can buy a computer with Windows 10 installed.

Otherwise, you have to ask yourself "Do I feel lucky?" (That didn't work out too well for Scorpio in Dirty Harry.)

BulldogXX, Jul 31, 2015
  4. DavidY Win User

Should I upgrade now?

You have a year (well, nearly) to decide if you want to upgrade for free from Windows 7 or 8.x.

Lots of folk on here are interested in tech and will be upgrading as soon as they can, if not already, but for the regular user, I'd say there's nothing to lose by waiting a little while. As you say it may sort out some of the bugs.

Some of the earlier Preview versions had several problems (which might explain your friend's problems) but later Preview versions they have got better. I'm not saying the released version is perfect, but it's a lot better than it was.

DavidY, Jul 31, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    I don't know which version of the tech preview your friend is using. 10130 was almost unusable for me. 10240 was reliable, and that is the same as the version you'll receive.

Do you have a means of saving an image of your current 8.1 setup? That's the easiest, and most reliable, way of going back if you upgrade and have serious regrets.

I think that 10 is what Windows 8 should have been: the integration of the regular desktop and the universal apps (also known as Metro Apps, Windows Store apps, etc.) is a lot better.

10 won't improve your life. There are the usual risks associated with an OS upgrade. If you are knowledgeable enough to see whether there are Windows 10 drivers for your PC and peripherals, go for it. (There are a lot of driver included with 10, but there are exceptions.)

bobkn, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Should I upgrade now?

1. Should I upgrade now? - Similar Threads - Should upgrade

2. I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed: I would like to upgrade my Dell Laptop - Inspiron 17 5000 series - from Windows 7 to 10, how can this be accomplished? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-10-what/4a53ce64-8522-40ce-8909-9992b841de07
  3. I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed: I would like to upgrade my Dell Laptop - Inspiron 17 5000 series - from Windows 7 to 10, how can this be accomplished? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-10-what/4a53ce64-8522-40ce-8909-9992b841de07
  4. Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?: Hello. I am having some troubles with upgrading from windows 10 to windows 11. The pc health check said that my pc was eligible, so I began installing the update, and it got to the black screen with a percentage that says to keep your computer on. At this point, at a random...
  5. Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?

Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?: Hello. I am having some troubles with upgrading from windows 10 to windows 11. The pc health check said that my pc was eligible, so I began installing the update, and it got to the black screen with a percentage that says to keep your computer on. At this point, at a random...
  6. Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Should i upgrade to windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should i upgrade to windows 11?: here are my pc specs and it says it supports italso when i upgrade, will I get windows 11 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-upgrade-to-windows-11/ed9c3467-9432-41fc-a3f4-d192fc5971a7
  8. Should i upgrade to windows 11?

Should i upgrade to windows 11?: here are my pc specs and it says it supports italso when i upgrade, will I get windows 11 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-upgrade-to-windows-11/ed9c3467-9432-41fc-a3f4-d192fc5971a7
  9. currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...: Currently Windows 10, Health check says processor not compatible, enough space and speed. When trying to upgrade 365 is provided, should I be upgrading to that or Windows 11?...
  10. currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...

currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...: Currently Windows 10, Health check says processor not compatible, enough space and speed. When trying to upgrade 365 is provided, should I be upgrading to that or Windows 11?...