Windows 10: Should I upgrade to Win 10?

Discus and support Should I upgrade to Win 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys! So I dont know if this is the place to put this but I am kind of on the fence regarding Windows 10. I have heard some messed up stuff... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by eidius, May 13, 2016.

1. eidius Win User

Should I upgrade to Win 10?

Hey guys!

So I dont know if this is the place to put this but I am kind of on the fence regarding Windows 10.
    I have heard some messed up stuff about spying, making an Account just so Microsoft knows what advertisements send to me. One of the reasons I never opted into anything past windows 7 is because I felt like Windows was trying to become Apple, especially with that App Store and Metro View crap.
    Now based on what I see/hear all that stuff is gone but replaced with some Big Brother shit... some people say its happening, then others say no its not OR they say "well its happening on Win7 and Win8 anyway! So you might as well bend over"

Honestly I have no idea what the hell is going on anymore and would appreciate some straight answers.

:)

eidius, May 13, 2016
  2. mikedigi Win User

Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10 - should I keep my Bitdefender or use Win 10 security ?

Thanks very much, I have reinstalled my Bitdefender Security on Windows 10.

Mike

mikedigi, May 13, 2016
  3. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10 - should I keep my Bitdefender or use Win 10 security ?

You're welcome Should I upgrade to Win 10? :)

Glad to have helped by supplying some informational links Should I upgrade to Win 10? :)

Jsssssssss, May 13, 2016
  4. Superfly Win User

From an unbiased ( I use Linux and Windows equally) viewpoint... telemetry can be found in all major players' OS' - Windows, Ubuntu, Android, Apple etc... it's the way companies use information to make profits.
    Whether the info they grab is personal enough to be considered intrusive is the question - I don't think we know exactly what is being collected, so trust is all we have.

Superfly, May 13, 2016
  5. eidius Win User
    I might sound stupid when I say this but what is the difference between Apps and regular old installers with software on them? I hate the idea of having a "store" on my PC. Features like Cortana, Appstore and etc I want them purged from my PC. If I want a Firefox browser I will go to their site and get it... if I want to search something then I will use google. I don't need Bing's search results.
    When I was using the Tablet version I would constantly hit a wall of "If it is not on our App store then tough shit". That kind of stuff made me so mad you have no idea... I guess it boils down to:
    Is this is an open system or a close system?
    I never got an apple product because of exactly this reason.

Besides right now my windows 7 is working perfectly fine for both work and games, I really don't want to screw that up.

eidius, May 13, 2016
  6. Superfly Win User
    Nothing wrong staying with Windows 7, TBH...

Windows 10 is still being polished.
    I don't use Cortana, Store or any "Metro" apps, IE/Edge nor Bing - can't say I have hit a brick wall regarding apps either.
    There are lotsa tutorials to tweak it, but each has their own needs - so to quote a cliche, YMMV.

Superfly, May 13, 2016
  7. eidius Win User
    But there is no way to delete them right?

eidius, May 13, 2016
  8. Rocky Win User

You can not delete the store but you never have to use it.

Rocky, May 13, 2016
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Bottom line all those programs you would like to remove....answer is no ....their deeply imbedded in Windows 10. Sorry.

OldMike65, May 13, 2016
  10. Windows Store is wonderful! You get a very large variety of choices, many of them free, all guaranteed to work and be virus-free. All of the pre-installed aps can be uninstalled through PowerShell.

You already know that ANY time you go to a new operating system, there is a learning curve.

My advice? Sometimes you gotta shoot all the engineers and press the power button. Go ahead and install 10. If it doesn't work, you have thirty days to go back.

Vince Massi, May 13, 2016
  11. - don't worry, Microsoft won't swallow your soul..
    - they're actually trying to be helpful..

- almost impossible to believe in this day and age, I know..*Wink

BugMeister, May 14, 2016
  12. msny Win User
    Windows 10 is a departure from all previous versions where MS is trying to please
    everyone with phones, tablets and computers. Thus there are compromises especially
    in display and such.

Once you get that, and decide to go to W10 I highly suggest you back up your
    files and do a clean install. Your chances of success I believe are much better.

If you select to custom install you can turn off 99% of stuff MS collects.
    https://fix10.isleaked.com/

You can disable cortana.
    Cortana - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Check out the tutorial section in the forum to further customise your setup.
    Windows 10 Tutorials

When you install skip the part that asks you about setting up an MS account, its
    not required.

If you do all this basically your install will be similar to Windows 7. No doubt there
    would be some work to do, but if your happy with windows 7 stay with it.

13. eidius Win User

What do you mean chances of success? Cant I just have both OS's? download 10 (obviously purge from all the useless/big brother crap) and then I can switch back to Win7 whenever I want.
    Oh an what about an MS Office? can I use my 2007 one? its my preferred version since it does not lag or take 20 minutes to load up like the latest versions. (seriously why the hell do they take so long to pop up)
    @Vince Massi Lol no thanks.

eidius, May 14, 2016
  14. Eidius, you have thirty days to go back to Windows 7. After that, you can't go back. I have upgraded four of my computers to 10, and only one had a minor problem.

Any programs in Win 7 that won't run in 10 will not survive the upgrade.

Vince Massi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I upgrade to Win 10? - Similar Threads - Should upgrade

2. I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed: I would like to upgrade my Dell Laptop - Inspiron 17 5000 series - from Windows 7 to 10, how can this be accomplished? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-10-what/4a53ce64-8522-40ce-8909-9992b841de07
  3. I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed: I would like to upgrade my Dell Laptop - Inspiron 17 5000 series - from Windows 7 to 10, how can this be accomplished? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-10-what/4a53ce64-8522-40ce-8909-9992b841de07
  4. Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?: Hello. I am having some troubles with upgrading from windows 10 to windows 11. The pc health check said that my pc was eligible, so I began installing the update, and it got to the black screen with a percentage that says to keep your computer on. At this point, at a random...
  5. Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?

Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?: Hello. I am having some troubles with upgrading from windows 10 to windows 11. The pc health check said that my pc was eligible, so I began installing the update, and it got to the black screen with a percentage that says to keep your computer on. At this point, at a random...
  6. Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Should i upgrade to windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should i upgrade to windows 11?: here are my pc specs and it says it supports italso when i upgrade, will I get windows 11 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-upgrade-to-windows-11/ed9c3467-9432-41fc-a3f4-d192fc5971a7
  8. Should i upgrade to windows 11?

Should i upgrade to windows 11?: here are my pc specs and it says it supports italso when i upgrade, will I get windows 11 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-upgrade-to-windows-11/ed9c3467-9432-41fc-a3f4-d192fc5971a7
  9. currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...: Currently Windows 10, Health check says processor not compatible, enough space and speed. When trying to upgrade 365 is provided, should I be upgrading to that or Windows 11?...
  10. currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...

currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...: Currently Windows 10, Health check says processor not compatible, enough space and speed. When trying to upgrade 365 is provided, should I be upgrading to that or Windows 11?...