Windows 10: Should I upgrade to Win10 from Win7? If so what is the easiest way?

Discus and support Should I upgrade to Win10 from Win7? If so what is the easiest way? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My buddy built me a PC a while ago with Windows 7 at the time. Should I upgrade to Win 10 while it's still free? I have a SSD that has Win7 on it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by budmonster, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Should I upgrade to Win10 from Win7? If so what is the easiest way?

My buddy built me a PC a while ago with Windows 7 at the time. Should I upgrade to Win 10 while it's still free?
    I have a SSD that has Win7 on it and a HDD as well. If you recommend that I do upgrade, how do I do it, I'm not familiar with this. Also, should I do a fresh wipe(don't know how to).

Also, I haven't backed up my desktop yet, is that something I should be doing frequently and if so what program should I be using?

Thanks for the help. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do all this, it's stressful. I'm not good with computers and I'm afraid I'll screw something up

Edit: You can still upgrade to Win10 buy using this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/acce...XNhiu3o52rA)()

:)

budmonster, Aug 7, 2016
  2. andyman01 Win User

What is the easiest way for me to obtain Windows 10 64-bit ?

I am currently running Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit, which came installed on my PC when I bought it, but I did not get a Windows installation cd/dvd with it.

I have received confirmation that I will be upgraded to Window 10 after 29/7, and I believe that it will be Windows 10 Pro 32 bit.

However, I would really like to have Windows 10, 64-bit (any version will do) to get the best out of my PC. I have checked and my PC is definately capable of running 64 bit Windows and it has 8 Gig Ram.

My previous PC ran Windows Vista and I still have the installation cd/dvd which gives the option to install either the 32-bit or the 64-bit version.

To achieve my objective, would I therefore be better off replacing Windows 7 Ultimate with Windows Vista (64-bit) from my installation cd/dvd, and then buying and installing Windows 7 upgrade so that I can receive the free Windows 10 (64-bit) upgrade,
    or should I simply wait until Windows 10 (64-bit) is available to buy.

It's unfortunate that Microsoft don't seem to recognise that some people don't actually have an installation cd/dvd which enables them to change from 32-bit to 64-bit versions of Windows (or vice-versa), and therefore have no option but to shell out
    for a copy of the version that they want to change to.

andyman01, Aug 7, 2016
  3. What is the easiest way for me to obtain Windows 10 64-bit ?

I want to switch from my currently installed architecture when migrating to Windows 10. Do I have that option with the free upgrade offer?

How do I upgrade from 32 bit versions of Windows to 64 bit Windows 10?

How
    to: Switch from 32 bit versions of Windows to Windows 10 64 bit

Andre Da Costa, Aug 7, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Should I upgrade to Win10 from Win7? If so what is the easiest way?

Which assistive technologies do you use? Unless you truly use assistive technologies to overcome a disability we will not encourage or support using that website for a free upgrade.

To upgrade without using anything related to assistive technologies, this is what we recommend:

1. Make an image of your entire SSD saved to your HDD. We like Macrium Reflect Free for that.
    Macrium Reflect Free

While you are doing that, make a Macrium Reflect Free rescue USB flash drive or DVD so if it goes badly you can boot from that and do a system restore from the backup image.

2. Obtain and record your existing product keys using showkey plus from this fourm:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

3. Download the Windows 10 ISO file using either Media Creation Tool or Windows ISO download website. (Options 1 or 2 in the tutorial linked to next). Save the ISO file on your HDD:
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

4. Mount the saved ISO file in Windows 7:
    How do I mount iso image file in Windows 7?

5. Run setup.exe from the drive letter that appears in step 4 above to start the upgrade.

6. When it is finished, Microsoft might activate the Windows 10 upgrade.

This method has nothing to do with the assistive technologies offer.

NavyLCDR, Aug 7, 2016
  5. My son has autism. I do not need to go any further. If you wish not to help so be it, but I will not talk about my sons disability to you or anyone else on here.

budmonster, Aug 7, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    That's fine. See method in post #2. You get the exact same results. The assistive technologies website just provides a link to the exact same upgrade you get in post #2 above. The only reason I prefaced my post with that statement is because we will get chastised by the forum moderators for suggesting using the assistive technologies free upgrade offer to those that don't really qualify for it.

The advantage to the method in Post #2 is that you will also have the Windows 10 ISO file which you can use to make a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD with to re-install Windows 10 if the need arises in the future.

NavyLCDR, Aug 7, 2016
  7. I wouldn't have posted here if I didn't have a need for it. I don't abuse a system that is meant for the disabled.

budmonster, Aug 7, 2016
  8. Porthos Win User

As for backup,
    1. Make an image of your entire SSD saved to your HDD. We like Macrium Reflect Free for that.
    Macrium Reflect Free.

Use the link you posted since you have a qualification.

No Disrespect was meant to the disability.

We are just following forum guidelines.

Porthos, Aug 7, 2016
  9. No need for the harshness. There have been many people using that upgrade method with absolutely no disabilities, aside from their broken moral system. We're here to help, but discussing things that aren't necessary "kosher" could get this forum shut down.

You are playing by the rules for the upgrade, so no one is doubting you or putting you down.

The link will work for you. Post back if you run in to any issues.

DeaconFrost, Aug 7, 2016
  10. You helped me with my laptop a while ago, I needed to put a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my laptop to get rid of all the bloatware it came with. You told me to put a W10 img on a USB drive:

Should I upgrade to Win10 from Win7? If so what is the easiest way? [​IMG]

Then you had me save my HDD on my external HDD using Macrium:

Should I upgrade to Win10 from Win7? If so what is the easiest way? [​IMG]

I still have the Win10 USB drive. So are you telling me not to use this method: Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users

budmonster, Aug 26, 2016
  11. This link? Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users)

I'm just wondering how everything is going to work since my desktop has an SSD and a HDD? I just need a simple method for upgrading. If your saying all I need to do is click on that link above then I'll do it. I just didnt know if there where any other steps I needed to take beforehand?

budmonster, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I upgrade to Win10 from Win7? If so what is the easiest way? - Similar Threads - Should upgrade Win10

2. what to do with folder labeled "win7" after upgrading from win7 to win10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    what to do with folder labeled "win7" after upgrading from win7 to win10?: the problem is when i download a program or look at a website, it has a low picture quality and it bugs me. my theory is that my os still thinks im windows 7 because i found out that i have a folder named "win7" and the files and programs from my desktop is copied in that...
  3. upgrade problems from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade problems from win7 to win10: Hi, Having some issues upgrading a windows 7 system to windows 10. Ran the MS upgrade using mediacreationtool1909.exe on an older AMD processor (Athlon II X2 250 3.00ghz 32 bit) and the supporting motherboard, no other devices. It ran for awhile and then failed with this...
  4. upgrading from win7 to win10

upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  5. Should I disable my TPM before upgrading from Win7 to Win10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Should I disable my TPM before upgrading from Win7 to Win10?: So I'm finally making the plunge to Win10 now that Win7 is no longer officially supported. I wanted to make sure I don't lock myself out and upgrade properly. Should I disable my TPM before starting the Win10 upgrade and then just re-enable it once I get the upgrade...
  6. What's the easiest way to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What's the easiest way to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro?: I have Windows 10 Home and I['ve just bought a Windows 10 Pro license key. What's the easiest way for me to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro without losing my files and settings etc? Thanks...
  7. What are steps for upgrade from Win7 to Win10?

What are steps for upgrade from Win7 to Win10?: Hi I have been using Linux many years but now I am returning back to Windows. I have Dell E6500 laptop and I like to install Win10 Pro 64 bit OS for that laptop. I have following "tools" in my hand: - Win10 Pro and activation "Windows is activated with a digital licence...
  8. What's The Easiest Way to upgrade Windows 'C' Drive??

What's The Easiest Way to upgrade Windows 'C' Drive??: I have a measly 500Gb SSD 'C' Drive (Desktop PC), which has W10 on it and other general stuff. It's getting full. I just purchased a new 1Tb SSD. What's the easiest most painless way of swapping out the OS onto this new larger SSD?? I do have a backup of W10 current build on...
  9. What is the cost to upgrade from Win7 to Win10?

What is the cost to upgrade from Win7 to Win10?: Can win10 be upgraded from win7 without the need to pay the full price? or a full price for win10 must be paid ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-cost-to-upgrade-from-win7-to-win10/60b9fd5e-865e-47b9-8fd8-9755087ee429"
  10. Upgrading from win7 to win10

Upgrading from win7 to win10: Hello, I have 4 PCs; I was able to upgrade 3, but the fourth one the desktop I couldn't upgrade it. I followed all the workarounds and solution were offered I downloaded the Windows Creation Tool and still cannot update. What should I do? 13716

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should i upgrade from win7 to 10.in 2019