Windows 10: Should I Upgrade to Windows 10?

Discus and support Should I Upgrade to Windows 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My present OS is Windows 8.1. (1) All I use my laptop for is email, web browsing and on-line purchases such as amazon.com, etc. I am accustomed to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ronto, Jul 31, 2015.

1. ronto Win User

Should I Upgrade to Windows 10?

My present OS is Windows 8.1.
    (1) All I use my laptop for is email, web browsing and on-line purchases such as amazon.com, etc. I am accustomed to using 8.1 for the aforementioned and am happy with it. Is it worth it for me to upgrade to Windows 10?
    (2) When does Microsoft plan to end security support for Windows 8.1?
    Thank you very much for your advice.

:)

ronto, Jul 31, 2015

2. I should wait to upgrade ?

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Redstone) will only be free for computers already running Windows 10.

Frequently
    Asked Questions Windows 10 Anniversary Edition codename Redstone

also see:

Windows
    10 Free Upgrade On Schedule to End July 29TH 2016 - What are your options?

I would upgrade to Windows 10 now while I can.

then try upgrading manually:

Option 1:

Download the Media Creation Tool Now

Right click the MediaCreationTool.exe file then click
    Run as administrator.

Should I Upgrade to Windows 10? [​IMG]

Note: How
    to verify if you downloaded or installed the Windows 10 November Update

How to create a ISO or USB drive.

Select Upgrade this PC now then click Next

Should I Upgrade to Windows 10? [​IMG]

Option 2:

Pre-requisite Task

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup.
    See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

then

then

• Disable
      (preferrably uninstall)
      your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
    • Restart a few times then try again.
    • Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader).
    • If you are using a SCSI hard disk, make sure you have drivers available for your storage device on a thumdrive and it is connected. During Windows 10 setup, click the Custom Advanced Option and use the Load Driver command to load the appropriate driver
      for the SCSI drive. If this does not work and setup still fails, consider switching to a IDE based hard disk.
    • Perform a
      clean boot
      , restart then try again.
    • If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both then attempt setup again.
    • If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.
    • If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
    • If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account.
    • If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).

Andre Da Costa, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

If you have windows 7, do not up-date
    to Windows 10 or 8 it's a no ending pain! I wanted to go back to Windows 7, as Windows 8 was almost as bad as Windows 10, which is worse! Besides going back to Windows 7 and 8 are out-of-date! Bummer!

Arlene Day, Jul 31, 2015
  4. rajn1 Win User

Windows 10/Edge is fabulous. You will never look back!!

rajn1, Jul 31, 2015
  5. 1. If you like Windows 8... you should really like Windows 10
    2. Windows 8: Mainstream support ends Jan 9, 2018 and end of Extended support ends Jan 10, 2023

MortTheBeast, Jul 31, 2015
  6. Hi and Welcome to TenForums,

It's up to you if you would like to upgrade, i don't believe the things you do would directly benefit or suffer either way, it's more of a personal choice if you want to upgrade.

With regards to Windows 8.1 Support:

• Mainstream Support End - 1/9/2018 (9th January 2018)
    • Extended Support End - 1/10/2023 (10th January 2023)

More information can be found here - Microsoft Support Lifecycle

Regards,
    Jamie

JDobbsy1987, Jul 31, 2015
  7. ronto Win User
    What is the definition of "mainstream support" and "extended support"?
    Please pardon my ignorance as I am technology challenged.

ronto, Jul 31, 2015
  8. Should I Upgrade to Windows 10?

• Mainstream support—Microsoft will offer mainstream support for a minimum of 5 years from the date of a product's general availability. For example, if you buy a new version of Windows and five years later another version is released, you will still have two years of support left for the previous version.
    • Extended support—Microsoft will offer extended support for a minimum of 5 years from the date of a product's general availability.

Source - Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Windows Help

9. Nico Win User
    Windows 10 is a GREAT operating system (much better than 8.1 IMO) and I am personally running it on all my computers right now. However, it still feels rough around the edges and it is noticably buggy in some areas.

Since you do not have any specialized needs and you mentioned that you are happy with your current set up my advice for you is not now. Don't fix what ain't broken, right? Maybe wait a month or two when the first service release (SR1) is rolled out.

10. kmint Win User
    Don't upgrade. It is always risky and complicated for not experts, (and even for experts many times). The changes are minor, it doesn't have one single advantage over 8.1 but a few disadvantages, and again, will be confusing and irritating for many users to find where Microsoft has now placed things. I don't like it at all for a few reasons and will go back to 8.1 after I try it in deep a few days to be very sure.

I have tried Windows 10 as an inside tester for months and never liked it.

Cheers.

kmint, Jul 31, 2015
  11. Everyone is obviously entitled to their opinion but the upgrade process i wouldn't say is complicated at all, even my dad managed it and he is the kind of guy that has no space left in his web browser due to having installed every tool bar known to man, it's a full time job for me keeping his PC/Laptop clean lol

12. Ztruker Win User
    Those dates are for Windows 8. Windows 8.1 is later:

Windows 8.1 11/13/2013 Review Note Review Note The product falls under the same lifecycle policy as Windows 8 with support ending 1/10/2023.

Ztruker, Jul 31, 2015
  13. kmint Win User

It is certainly the least complicated upgrade I have seen for Windows, but still there are hundreds of ways of getting lost, making mistakes and messing things up.

I love upgrading and having always the last versions, but this time I really don't see any reason for it, any benefit, any advantage. Plus I hate losing the colors of my windows... argh. First we lost the beautiful transparencies, now we lose all colors, just plain white for everything. And the new icons are terrible too. They try to make everything flat but they didn't find the right style, so there is childish design and inconsistency everywhere.

I personally prefer W8.1 just for a matter of design. It was far more consistent and well finished. Plus the Start Menu was to me much better. Now I can't keep the tiles the way I used to, they have made this hybrid of the old and new start menu and it is small even when choosing to display full size.

But again, most of all, and most important than design and style changes, I just can't see any benefit, any advantage, anything new that is handy or practical compared to W8.1. They are selling smoke again. Why did they skip W9 and announced a definitive winner with W10? It's no big deal whatsoever. Minor changes again and that's it.

kmint, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I Upgrade to Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Should Upgrade

2. I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed: I would like to upgrade my Dell Laptop - Inspiron 17 5000 series - from Windows 7 to 10, how can this be accomplished? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-10-what/4a53ce64-8522-40ce-8909-9992b841de07
  3. I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed: I would like to upgrade my Dell Laptop - Inspiron 17 5000 series - from Windows 7 to 10, how can this be accomplished? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-10-what/4a53ce64-8522-40ce-8909-9992b841de07
  4. Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?: Hello. I am having some troubles with upgrading from windows 10 to windows 11. The pc health check said that my pc was eligible, so I began installing the update, and it got to the black screen with a percentage that says to keep your computer on. At this point, at a random...
  5. Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?

Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?: Hello. I am having some troubles with upgrading from windows 10 to windows 11. The pc health check said that my pc was eligible, so I began installing the update, and it got to the black screen with a percentage that says to keep your computer on. At this point, at a random...
  6. Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Should i upgrade to windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should i upgrade to windows 11?: here are my pc specs and it says it supports italso when i upgrade, will I get windows 11 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-upgrade-to-windows-11/ed9c3467-9432-41fc-a3f4-d192fc5971a7
  8. Should i upgrade to windows 11?

Should i upgrade to windows 11?: here are my pc specs and it says it supports italso when i upgrade, will I get windows 11 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-upgrade-to-windows-11/ed9c3467-9432-41fc-a3f4-d192fc5971a7
  9. currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...: Currently Windows 10, Health check says processor not compatible, enough space and speed. When trying to upgrade 365 is provided, should I be upgrading to that or Windows 11?...
  10. currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...

currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...: Currently Windows 10, Health check says processor not compatible, enough space and speed. When trying to upgrade 365 is provided, should I be upgrading to that or Windows 11?...