Windows 10: Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

Discus and support Should I upgrade to Windows 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I currently run Windows 7 and have been thinking about upgrading to Windows 10, however I have heard that Windows 10 has privacy issues which is really... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by EnderGamerTDC, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

I currently run Windows 7 and have been thinking about upgrading to Windows 10, however I have heard that Windows 10 has privacy issues which is really putting me off upgrading. Also when I upgrade, will all my application work with Windows 10 like they do in Windows 7?

Thanks,

Ender Gamer *Biggrin

P.S Sorry if I put this on the wrong forum. I'm new to this stuff XD

:)

EnderGamerTDC, Mar 27, 2016

2. I should wait to upgrade ?

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Redstone) will only be free for computers already running Windows 10.

Frequently
    Asked Questions Windows 10 Anniversary Edition codename Redstone

also see:

Windows
    10 Free Upgrade On Schedule to End July 29TH 2016 - What are your options?

I would upgrade to Windows 10 now while I can.

then try upgrading manually:

Option 1:

Download the Media Creation Tool Now

Right click the MediaCreationTool.exe file then click
    Run as administrator.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? [​IMG]

Note: How
    to verify if you downloaded or installed the Windows 10 November Update

How to create a ISO or USB drive.

Select Upgrade this PC now then click Next

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? [​IMG]

Option 2:

Pre-requisite Task

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup.
    See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

then

then

• Disable
      (preferrably uninstall)
      your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
    • Restart a few times then try again.
    • Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader).
    • If you are using a SCSI hard disk, make sure you have drivers available for your storage device on a thumdrive and it is connected. During Windows 10 setup, click the Custom Advanced Option and use the Load Driver command to load the appropriate driver
      for the SCSI drive. If this does not work and setup still fails, consider switching to a IDE based hard disk.
    • Perform a
      clean boot
      , restart then try again.
    • If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both then attempt setup again.
    • If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.
    • If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
    • If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account.
    • If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).

Andre Da Costa, Mar 27, 2016
  3. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

If you have windows 7, do not up-date
    to Windows 10 or 8 it's a no ending pain! I wanted to go back to Windows 7, as Windows 8 was almost as bad as Windows 10, which is worse! Besides going back to Windows 7 and 8 are out-of-date! Bummer!

Arlene Day, Mar 27, 2016
  4. msny Win User

Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

If you do a custom install you can turn off all the MS privacy and security setting
    on install. There is a tutorial guide here in the forum.

I would also suggest skipping the MSN user setup also and go with your own
    user name.

5. z3r010 Win User
    Just what privacy issues are you worried about?

z3r010, Mar 27, 2016
  6. There are no privacy issues in Windows 10, unless you are discussing something that Homeland Security would be interested in. People are often confusing privacy issues with security issues. These are the same kind of people who believe organic, GMO-free, etc is worth the extra money despite what legitimate science tells them. I may considering dumping my 401K in stock of tin foil providers, as the amount of tin foil hats people are wearing should ensure my long-term retirement goals are met.

DeaconFrost, Mar 27, 2016
  7. RWOne Win User
    Ooooh, Deacon posted just before me. Basically said about the same things in terms of privacy vs security, so I was able to redact most of my post.

For Apps, most will work just fine coming from 7. I won't make that a 100% guarantee, because I don't know everything you are running.

RWOne, Mar 27, 2016
  8. bobkn Win User

To take the contrary view:

I don't recommend upgrading from Windows 7 to 10.

It's a better upgrade from Windows 8. The integration of the Windows desktop and the interface once known as Metro was (IMHO) really lousy in 8. It's much better in 10.

bobkn, Mar 28, 2016
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    Actually.. I would perform a clean install with 10 and just use the 7 key. Nothing like starting off with a
    clean instillation.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Mar 28, 2016
  10. EdTittel Win User
    FWIW, I agree with BunnyJ: I've done the upgrade and the clean install somewhere from dozens to hundreds of times (I've lost count: I write about this stuff for a living, so I do it all the time), and I've invariably obtained better results from a clean install than an upgrade. I'm talking in terms of system stability, disk layout and integrity, file corruption issues (as detected by SFC and/or DISM), and so forth. It's up to you what to do with your system(s), so take this input for what it's worth.
    Best of luck, whatever path to Win10 you follow.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 28, 2016
  11. In spite of snide comments like this, many people do have a concern. By default Windows 10 collects data on usage and user behavior. If you see this as a privacy issue you can disable much of it.

I don't understand the comment about security issues.

pokeefe0001, Mar 28, 2016
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    I've upgraded 2 home computers from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro, without ANY problems. Both run Windows 10 Pro just fine.
    I cleaned installed this one from Windows 8.1 Home, to Windows 10 Pro (retail license) Guess it depends on how you want to install Windows 10. *Smile

OldMike65, Mar 28, 2016
  13. BunnyJ New Member

What the OP is likely concerned about is the collection of personal data and that's not taking place. It's only use telemetry.

BunnyJ, Mar 28, 2016
  14. Trust_No1 Win User
    I am not a fan of Windows 10 (not just the privacy thing, but other reasons), I like 7 and 8 (with a 3rd party menu).

However, if you upgrade you can try it for awhile (1 month) before the upgrade is permanent. It has a restore to previous version option available and works without a hitch. If you go beyond the 1 month then you will have to reinstall your old Windows 7, via disk or OEM disks, if I am not mistaken.

Trust_No1, Mar 29, 2016
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    Not really true, you could make a complete image backup, before upgrading to Windows 10, then go back to your old OS anytime you want. *Smile

I would not use Windows to make that image backup thou. Use a free program like Macrium Reflect to make your complete image backup.

OldMike65, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I upgrade to Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Should upgrade

2. I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed: I would like to upgrade my Dell Laptop - Inspiron 17 5000 series - from Windows 7 to 10, how can this be accomplished? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-10-what/4a53ce64-8522-40ce-8909-9992b841de07
  3. I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed: I would like to upgrade my Dell Laptop - Inspiron 17 5000 series - from Windows 7 to 10, how can this be accomplished? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-10-what/4a53ce64-8522-40ce-8909-9992b841de07
  4. Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?: Hello. I am having some troubles with upgrading from windows 10 to windows 11. The pc health check said that my pc was eligible, so I began installing the update, and it got to the black screen with a percentage that says to keep your computer on. At this point, at a random...
  5. Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?

Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?: Hello. I am having some troubles with upgrading from windows 10 to windows 11. The pc health check said that my pc was eligible, so I began installing the update, and it got to the black screen with a percentage that says to keep your computer on. At this point, at a random...
  6. Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Should i upgrade to windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should i upgrade to windows 11?: here are my pc specs and it says it supports italso when i upgrade, will I get windows 11 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-upgrade-to-windows-11/ed9c3467-9432-41fc-a3f4-d192fc5971a7
  8. Should i upgrade to windows 11?

Should i upgrade to windows 11?: here are my pc specs and it says it supports italso when i upgrade, will I get windows 11 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-upgrade-to-windows-11/ed9c3467-9432-41fc-a3f4-d192fc5971a7
  9. currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...: Currently Windows 10, Health check says processor not compatible, enough space and speed. When trying to upgrade 365 is provided, should I be upgrading to that or Windows 11?...
  10. currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...

currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...: Currently Windows 10, Health check says processor not compatible, enough space and speed. When trying to upgrade 365 is provided, should I be upgrading to that or Windows 11?...